Garmin 60csx software version

alexuk

I just realised that my 60csx has software version 4.20
And that the garmin website latest version is 4.00

Are you sure you have a 60 CSX and not a 60 CX. The latest firmware for the 60 CSX is version 4.00 while the latest firmware for the 60 CX is version 4.20.

yes I know, and it's still a 60csx
and the GPS software version is 3.00s

Alex,

OK, don't know how you got version 4.20 on your 60 Csx as both the official Garmin website and the site which stores all the versions of Garmin GPS firmwares list version 4.00 as the last and final version for the 60 Csx.

Alex,
On your Software Version Page
do you have 3 entries

Software Version
XXX
GPS SW Version
XXX
Unit Id
XXXXXX

As I recall these units have different hardware , chipsets, than the previous models and this software is not compatable with the earlier versions.
Software 4.00 and below are the 1st gen. (2 entries on Software Version page)
Later gen, 4.00 and above are the later chipsets. (3 entries on Software Version page)

yes, 3 entries.
whats different with later chipset?
This is the new 60csx garmin sent me as a replacement a few months ago
7114676747_88cc3d0a80_z.jpg

The 60CSX originally had the SiRF III chipset but, as SiRF was sued by Broadcom for patent infringement (which they lost), the SiRF chipset was no longer available. Garmin switched then to the MediaTek chipset (version 2.40m - the m stands for MediaTek) and for that reason Garmin apparently had to change the firmware to 4.20. Users, who had the new software/firmware combination, complained that nRoute would no longer work with the 60CSX and Garmin may have made other changes after that as the firmware 3.00s on your GPS 60CSX indicates that it is again a SiEF chipset or possibly a STM chipset.

Don't know how you got firmware 4.20 as the Garmin website indicates that version 4.00 is the latest/final version for the 60CSX and messages on forums indicate that the MediaTek chip set could not work with previous version of the firmware (version 4.00 and earlier).

if you know how I can get it off the gps, you're welcome to try it on whatever...
then maybe we'll know what it really is/does.
Does seem slow on coldstart at times, when I'm in a new place

I believe the first line entry, Software Version is the Garmin Software version.4.20
The second one is the software version for the Mediatech reciever GPS SW Version.3.00s
I have tested a few units and the Mediatech is better in all respects.

Alex unfortunately no, for whatever reason the Montana unit seems to use the STM Cartesios.
http://www.st.com/internet/automotive/class/1547.jsp
Well let's say reception and WAAS performance are not the strong points of this otherwise Fantastic Unit.
Plenty of info on the GPS forums if your interested.

The most exciting thing in GPS receivers now is the newest generation of receivers.Found in the lates E Trex models!!
etrex-vista-etrex-30-a.jpg
I had only a limited time to test these units before the Stock sold out!
glonass-gps.jpg
Gotta admit it is pretty cool, to receive those sexy Russian signals along with the (yawn) Yank ones!
Can't wait till the new stock arrives, The downside for mapping, is no external antenna jack!

Back
Top Bottom