North Thailand GPS map on Andriod OS - It works!!!!!!

well..both have their pro/cons.. a big pro for the tablet (from my point of view) is a large screen.does have a GPS although in many cases can go on line ,is a phone ,and I carry it anyway... just doesn't make good coffee.. :hmm

Exactly why I would like to use a tablet for trip planning, route options, and creating my gpz / kml.. Then export that to a ruggedized unit simply to tell me where to go along the route and show the waypoints.

With an android tablet (or win8) and the tricks above it seems thats now a reality.. with my iPad it isnt.

Google maps requires a live connection to the internet to work. But you can download about a 70mile square area an cache it.

Quite a few alternative map browsers will allow the downloading of google / OSM / others tile data to a local cache.

preatty cool ..was looking around on the web, fell in love with this (Cat B15 rugged smartphone) but seems available only oversea and strange the thai site advertize it but doesn't sell it..did anyone ever seen it around or can suggest a 'rugged tablet/smartphone' reasonably priced available in thailand? i am on a hunt now :D

Caterpillar CAT B15 ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????? - Siamphone.com

USD$ 150 and you've got yourself an amazing gps device (using say Orux Maps App.) and full internet functionality (email/ browsing etc..)

Best choices below:

android tablet reviews - CNET

One limiting factor with my 60csx was the tracks that you can actually read on the gps must be on the internal memory, which requires windows and garmin software to upload, afaik.

So far, my Samsung S2 phone running Android/Orux is just a backup for the 60csx on offroad dirtbike trips.

preatty cool ..was looking around on the web, fell in love with this (Cat B15 rugged smartphone) but seems available only oversea and strange the thai site advertize it but doesn't sell it..did anyone ever seen it around or can suggest a 'rugged tablet/smartphone' reasonably priced available in thailand? i am on a hunt now :D

Caterpillar CAT B15 ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????? - Siamphone.com

I have seen some super ruggedized cases for phones.. Like mil spec or faux mil spec for the soldier of fortune reader.. These would bring whatever phone up to a similar toughness..

I am sure Keld would know some brand names.

thanks ,true ,could use any waterproof phone,although the 'rugged ' version are (supposedly) stronger inside too..tolerate vibrations etc. sorry who is Keld?

I have seen some super ruggedized cases for phones.. Like mil spec or faux mil spec for the soldier of fortune reader.. These would bring whatever phone up to a similar toughness..

I am sure Keld would know some brand names.

One of the posters here name lightemup but I expect he will see this soon enough. Otterbox is one brand but he showed me one that was like machined aluminium.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Check out the new Panasonic Tough Pad ...looks very interesting. ..will post some info when I get to a computer

I have been using a Lenovo 7" tab. @5.5k Bht, 3G, dual sim (but the phone is crap). Great for everything else, used it for everything on a tour in Laos. BUT - hard to read in direct sunlight and when on top of tank bag for @1/2 hr it overheated and threw a wobbly. Only today I was wishing for something 'rugged' on the bars so unfortunately still stuck with poxy Garmin hardware if not software.

and sadly ???? from specs> [h=3]Communication & GPS[/h]Unfortunately, the GPS module of the Panasonic Toughpad JT-B1 cannot completely convince. The position can be determined, but this takes above 2 minutes outdoors. In addition, the component is not able to establish a permanent connection to the satellites. Again and again, the connection broke off during our test. Therefore, it was surprising that a geolocation was possibleindoors.
:WTF

Back
Top Bottom