Northern Thailand GPS Map on basecamp

lakota

Bikes
KLX250S, CB500X,DREAM 125
I'd like to view my Northern Thailand GPS Map on Garmin's Basecamp . Is it Possible ?
It would be much easier for route planning .

I tried to reply to your PM but they appear to be stuck in my outbox.....
Hi,

I've just tried again to import both locked and unlocked maps into base camp and it will not let me for some reason. I've not got the garmin to hand at the moment, however when i open base camp there are no maps available, i need to have the garmin plugged in for the maps to show???????

I think I used garmin map installer and map manager to get them on the 62s and possibly garmin web updater as these are all on my mac in the finder thing.

Not much help but I'll play around once Im back home and let you know if i can get it to work. Maybe look on gpsunderground or gamin's website.....

Cheers

Gareth

I've been doing some reading and it looks like you can view so long as you have either the gps plugged in, or have the maps on another usb device. From what I found online, base camp is unable to display maps without having a usb source connected, one person did mention something about using disk utility to create a new disc for the maps.

Easier for you to read this than me try to explain.......

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=25993

i check with Auke, but I was under the impression that if the GPS was plugged into the computer via USB that the North Thailand GPS map would show up in basecamp.

KTMphil said:
i check with Auke, but I was under the impression that if the GPS was plugged into the computer via USB that the North Thailand GPS map would show up in basecamp.

Yes if GPS is plugged in then the maps that are on the gps or the sd card should show up, however it appears at the moment there is no "easy" way to show the maps in Basecamp without the device plugged in or a usb stick / card reader plugged in. Basecamp is unable to display maps by itself.

The data is locked and configured that way for security reasons to prevent illegal copying and unnecessary lawsuits.

garethw said:
KTMphil said:

Yes if GPS is plugged in then the maps that are on the gps or the sd card should show up, however it appears at the moment there is no "easy" way to show the maps in Basecamp without the device plugged in or a usb stick / card reader plugged in. Basecamp is unable to display maps by itself.

I don't seem to be able to view the map on the SD card via basecamp (Norhtern Thailand offroad map)

Will check with my 62S and see if it shows up in Basecamp. Another option is to install the map in Garmin Mapsource (which will/is being discontinued) and then the map will show up in Basecamp as well.

Not made the switch to basecamp.. But any map (locked unlocked etc) can be imported to mapsource with the right tools..

Played around with my 62S and the maps do show up in Basecamp. Look at the left hand panel under the heading Library and below that you will see the Category Devices which shows the map loaded to the 62S as well as the heading "Memory Card" which shows maps stored on the memory card/USB stick.

Agree with LivinLOS that basically any map can be installed in Mapsource if you have the "right tools". Personally I find Mapsource still more "handy" than BaseCamp although Basecamp does allow to see maps made/sold by Garmin in "3D" if you have the DEM maps installed.

can I get some advice on how to keep mapsource(for when I get a new computer) and which is the best version etc?
I like basecamp for some things, but for a quick edit of tracks and send to gps I prefer mapsource

In case you loose Mapsource and/or Basecamp you can always get the latest version from the Garmin website. In case you want/need a previous (older) version you can find them here: http://gawisp.com/perry/mapsource/
With regard to firmware for the GPS units, the same site has copies of basically all the older versions of firmware for a range of units - these can be downloaded here: http://gawisp.com/perry/

Not sure what the "best" version is. The newer Garmin maps (in the .gmp format) do not work on older versions of Mapsource although you can make some "adjustments" so they will work.

Lone Rider said:
Played around with my 62S and the maps do show up in Basecamp. Look at the left hand panel under the heading Library and below that you will see the Category Devices which shows the map loaded to the 62S as well as the heading "Memory Card" which shows maps stored on the memory card/USB stick.

Agree with LivinLOS that basically any map can be installed in Mapsource if you have the "right tools". Personally I find Mapsource still more "handy" than BaseCamp although Basecamp does allow to see maps made/sold by Garmin in "3D" if you have the DEM maps installed.

Thanks for the info. I've tried with the MicroSD card removed and Basecamp doesn't show it as you'd expect. with the MicroSD card inserted, basecamp is aware of it but it can't find anything on it.

Is there a way I can move my northern Thailand map to the internal memory on my Garmin 62S ?

I have two problems, one being I cannot see the map on Basecamp. so its very inconvenient if not impossible.

The other being that ESRI no longer provide the THailand Streetmap (atleast for new users) maps on CD , so you cannot download it to internal memory, they only provide a map locked on SD card. As I only have one SD card slot I cannot use both maps.

so it seems I am being forced to make a choice, ....... I'm thinking of ditching both as its just too inconvenient.

I'm trying to go with legitimate paid for maps here but my patience is wearing thin.

PM sent

lakota said:
Is there a way I can move my northern Thailand map to the internal memory on my Garmin 62S ?

I have two problems, one being I cannot see the map on Basecamp. so its very inconvenient if not impossible.

The other being that ESRI no longer provide the THailand Streetmap (atleast for new users) maps on CD , so you cannot download it to internal memory, they only provide a map locked on SD card. As I only have one SD card slot I cannot use both maps.

so it seems I am being forced to make a choice, ....... I'm thinking of ditching both as its just too inconvenient.

I'm trying to go with legitimate paid for maps here but my patience is wearing thin.

Back
Top Bottom