New unmapped trail from Night Safari up to Doi Suthep

MastaMax

Bikes
19 ktm 300tpi 6 days / 15 Yamaha YZ250F / 08 Husky 450SMR / 13 ER6N / 13 KTM 300XCW(sold)
AlexUSA and myself had a great experience on the day before, mapping 2 new trails (see http://rideasia.net/forum/two-unmapped-incomplete-singletracks-up-doi-suthep-t1162.html ) so we decided to try it again on Sunday.

Alex probably has the gpx track so he'll post it later.

We started behind the queen's garden, the trail that is called the "last man standing" I think? It starts with a pretty steep uphill and some more nice single track, good as a starter.

Then we joined what should have been a dirt road but it appears like it's concrete, and we wanted more dirt, so we looked around for any trails. We then found a small single track uphill, that never stopped going steep up. Very tiring but we didn't get blocked a single time so had a lot of fun. We went up and up until joining what seems to be a bike downhill trail (again, see the day before's report). From there it started to get though and harder as the bushes get thicker and more roots on the steep track.

At 5pm, about to connect to the road (about 400m left) it started to get too steep and we didn't want to insist too much, thinking going down would be a wiser decision. So we turned around. Half way through, the trail started to get very hard to see as there is a lot of overgrowth on the tiny trail. Alex took a wrong turn east and I took a wrong turn west...

A bit later we called each other and Alex was back on trail but I couldn't find the trail and found myself in a dead end to steep to go back up and dry riverbeds on both sides with 3-4m cliffs. After assessing the situation as calmly as possible (no more water, out of battery, lost and in the dark with no light) I decided to leave the bike and climb my way back, if I could find it... (I luckily marked the bike on my crap gps-phone before it went off). After 2 hours of crawling through a thick jungle with ravines and trees with 20cm spikes! in the pitch dark, so thirsty I had to dry a bit of water from a river, I connected on the dirt road! Have to say watching the man vs wild series helped me out no to stress too much and injure myself in one of the big ditches all over the place :D

Anyways, at 11:30pm I made it home thanks to my mechanic who picked me up at the queen's garden.

334541_10101082092928913_2259560_67555834_1850554745_o.jpg

It then took him 2 days to get the bike back on the road (1 day to find the bike, Thai people are not pros at using GPS). I'm very glad he and 4 others could bring the bike back on the road after long hours of effort!

390534_153079288129880_100002834286426_198742_1932171246_n.jpg

-> my advice: Track is awesome, but when going downhill stop every few hundreds of meters to check you're on the right trail!

Here is an approximate picture of the events :
Approx.jpg

Is the track going up to a dead end by a waterfall on the left? but you turned up right before the waterfall?

Don't know as we turned around a few hundred meters before the end. We'll go back and try it from top to bottom see if it connects.

Good stuff. I'll get the GPX up when I get home this afternoon.

But you missed the part about going back into the jungle Sunday night. Was funny how we were finally ready to go home and Thon rolls up with a truck, Mao's TTR, flashlights, and a buddy to go back into the jungle.

Overall a fun 2.5 day recovery effort though and nice to test out the new DT off-road up to our "Parc Ferme" as they were calling it. Also glad to see my XR come in handy getting them up and down the mountain and I'm impressed with Thon's new GPS skills.

Right the Sunday night when I insisted he wouldn't find the bike nor a way back in the dark :)

They had a hard way of learning how to use a GPS (walking up and down a steep hill all day with no water).

Looks like fun , will you be doing it again at the weekend? If so could i tag along?

jkrfjessjess said:
Looks like fun , will you be doing it again at the weekend? If so could i tag along?

Not sure yet, we might build an endurocross park this Saturday-Sunday near Sankamphaeng.

MastaMax said:
Not sure yet, we might build an endurocross park this Saturday-Sunday near Sankamphaeng.

Yep, Thon says we're going out Saturday to get a tractor to start clearing the brush.

land.jpg

Sounds interesting what are you planning to build , something fast or something like Romaniacs ( which would be fun ) . If you need some large pies ( road drains ) i know where there are some damaged ones in Mae Rim also there is a large amount of broken concrete at the same place .

jkrfjessjess said:
Sounds interesting what are you planning to build , something fast or something like Romaniacs ( which would be fun ) . If you need some large pies ( road drains ) i know where there are some damaged ones in Mae Rim also there is a large amount of broken concrete at the same place .

Mostly slow stuff like you can see in any enduro-cross :

But we also want to add some nice jump an MX style turns. As there is a road we want to make build a jump over it.

Back
Top Bottom