New Africa Twin CRF?

A bit more from 'Gizmag'.

True Adventure

“Seeking to expand its presence in the Adventure segment,” Honda has put together a very dirty looking prototype. Caked in tasteful dabs of mud over spy-shot camouflage, the True Adventure looks to be packing a mid-capacity parallel twin engine, tilted forward, not a v-twin like Honda’s last comparable machine, the Transalp.
Beyond that, there’s basically no details available. It looks closer to the Yamaha Tenere than anything else, and seems to seek to fill the gap in Honda’s current lineup for a tough-as-nails, round-the-world off-roader."

(Gizmag)

Clutch is definitely different from the 500x...maybe a weight saving non hydraulic mod?

apparently there is no clutch lever! meaning the rear brake could be transferred there and u could have your feet free to move at any time in fast curves etc! sounds class to me.just have to see in practice ,and hope is fairly light, maybe a 750cc like the AT ancestor would be lovely! these huge engines ,what for _? plenty of power to dig holes already at lower cc these days

apparently there is no clutch lever! meaning the rear brake could be transferred there and u could have your feet free to move at any time in fast curves etc! sounds class to me.just have to see in practice ,and hope is fairly light, maybe a 750cc like the AT ancestor would be lovely! these huge engines ,what for _? plenty of power to dig holes already at lower cc these days

The prototype displayed appears to use Honda's DCT. There's heavy speculation whether or not a traditional manual clutch model will also be offered.

The prototype displayed appears to use Honda's DCT. There's heavy speculation whether or not a traditional manual clutch model will also be offered.

Maybe it's only me...but I've been in situations where I wouldn't want to find myself in with a semi/full auto transmition, DCT or not...and not have full control myself of gears and clutch.
Sorry to say, I really think the concept is great (though it does add a quite a few extra pounds), but outside the street realm it has no place. For one, dropping 3 gears at once in a split second and work the clutch together with the rear brake is not feasible with such a gear system...so to me this thing belongs on a scooter, on the Gold Wing and maybe on the new electric HD...but certainly not on an adventure bike that's supposed to closed the gap and fill the truly off-road capable segment...though we don't know that yet do we? From what we hear it's either just another "join the crowd hyper pretender" or Honda is floating speculations around to see what comes back. Well, if the later is the case, Honda open your ears...plenty of power yes...lightweight-no gysmos...just capable and reliable WITH a clutch we can use when and as we need it.

Maybe it's only me...but I've been in situations where I wouldn't want to find myself in with a semi/full auto transmition, DCT or not...and not have full control myself of gears and clutch.
Sorry to say, I really think the concept is great (though it does add a quite a few extra pounds), but outside the street realm it has no place. For one, dropping 3 gears at once in a split second and work the clutch together with the rear brake is not feasible with such a gear system...so to me this thing belongs on a scooter, on the Gold Wing and maybe on the new electric HD...but certainly not on an adventure bike that's supposed to closed the gap and fill the truly off-road capable segment...though we don't know that yet do we? From what we hear it's either just another "join the crowd hyper pretender" or Honda is floating speculations around to see what comes back. Well, if the later is the case, Honda open your ears...plenty of power yes...lightweight-no gysmos...just capable and reliable WITH a clutch we can use when and as we need it.

of course off road without clutch would be a completely different driving techinique since we use it in many different ways..thats why I said >we have to see in practice,the final product :ride:

of course off road without clutch would be a completely different driving techinique since we use it in many different ways..thats why I said >we have to see in practice,the final product :ride:

Some riders like the DCT off-road because you can manually gear change with just the index finger and thumb of your lefthand, thus leaving your foot remaining firmly placed on the peg. This way you can steer the bike with your feet more effectively.

I'm open minded about it but I'll be paying close attention to rider first hand experiences, good and bad.

Some riders like the DCT off-road because you can manually gear change with just the index finger and thumb of your lefthand, thus leaving your foot remaining firmly placed on the peg. This way you can steer the bike with your feet more effectively.

I'm open minded about it but I'll be paying close attention to rider first hand experiences, good and bad.

Steer the bike with your feet..(?) main point is in fast left turns ur able to stick ur foot out and control the gear manually.. Anyway conventional clutch is very effective in many cases.need to see how DCT respond off road in practice

Steer the bike with your feet..(?) main point is in fast left turns ur able to stick ur foot out and control the gear manually.. Anyway conventional clutch is very effective in many cases.need to see how DCT respond off road in practice

I try this kind of stuff when I'm off road, not sure if I'm doing it 'correctly' but it's fun 😀

[video=youtube_share;mYo0gWXYrRw]http://youtu.be/mYo0gWXYrRw[/video]

If Honda offer both manual and dual clutch transmission then everyone should be happy, as long as the wet weight is less than 200kg, seat height is ... And so on. Perfect bike for everyone? Forget it!

I try this kind of stuff when I'm off road, not sure if I'm doing it 'correctly' but it's fun ��

[video=youtube_share;mYo0gWXYrRw]http://youtu.be/mYo0gWXYrRw[/video]

If Honda offer both manual and dual clutch transmission then everyone should be happy, as long as the wet weight is less than 200kg, seat height is ... And so on. Perfect bike for everyone? Forget it!

Ye , a bit miscom here..shifting body weight on foot pegs n bike to veer.basic.nice :)
ps:off road not for 'everyone ,and prob this bike,like many other heavyweight :)

looks fun on the road,but very good chances to play with the clutch off road will be heavily missed... anyway there will be the option like on other bikes, quiet sure mr. Honda figured that! ;)

HONDA Dual Clutch Transmission - YouTube

Looking at that video link you posted it seems to me that the guy, although most likely trained on it for the video, shifts and rides like he's got something stock in between his bum cheeks...this technology is awesome on a car and truck but on my bike...no thanks, I rather use my left foot and keep my hands doing their job...

Looking at that video link you posted it seems to me that the guy, although most likely trained on it for the video, shifts and rides like he's got something stock in between his bum cheeks...this technology is awesome on a car and truck but on my bike...no thanks, I rather use my left foot and keep my hands doing their job...

Alex let's make a statement :we all love the clutch ,there is nothing sweeter then the clutch off road... ;) but, I also love technology and innovation,we all do in someway otherwise we'd still be running around barefoot,or on animal of personal choice ..
now, 99% of the places we reach on 'proper' mx bikes ,I would like to point out, the locals do it on a 125cc honda dream,no clutch!how many times u 've been sweating like a pig for a day,thinking u rode on the top of the world, to only arrive to a parking spot of automatic scooters belonging to hunters/gatherers/loggers etc? yesterday we were all day out there in the(very wet) woods and I was thinking all the pros and the cons .there is both ..so again the only way is to test the real thing how it respond in practice.
:RO sergio

Don't get me wrong Sergio...I do love technology, as mater of fact I am a technology buff, I myself developed, invented and contributed in new technologies in ways I can't even begin to enumerate if we want to keep this thread from lengthening at nauseoum...I also have been clicking roughly 40,000Km on a Yamaha Nouvo in the passed 7-8 months...on many "roads" that are far from what the word means - so yes I have an idea what these little clutchless pains in the ass can do (I also have a new gained respect for the engineering of these, they just take anything you dish at them and keep going). However...the fact that these things can do it without a clutch doesn't mean it would be more work to do it with a clutch...

If you look at the DCT design it is quite brilliant...I actually love the design. However, two things, one you will see that the technology comes with a significant weight addition, two, it also has a drawback for offroading and/or "streetfighting" (stunt riding), let me explain. By the inherent way the shifting now works with this system - two gears are always selected and running but only one is "locked in", when shifting the pre-selected gear will lock in and the system will select the next gear (in the direction you are shifting, meaning if you are in 3rd gear and shifting up, the next selected gear ready to be locked in will automatically be 4th, vice versa if you are on a downshift pattern the next selected gear would be 2nd) - you will be shifting faster and smoother into the next gear BUT you will never be able to shift multiple gears, or changing from up to down shifting, as fast as you would with a conventional gear box design.
You also would not be able to clutch, hold it and simultaneously downshift 3 gears (not even 2 if you were on the upshift pattern beforehand) and play the rear with clutch and engine break...again, in my opinion this is an amazing technology and it has its applications in most types of rides...but not off-road and not for the serious sports oriented motorcycles.

Besides...let's make another statement...call me dinosaur but when it comes to sport riding and going off the road, screw computers, I want to be the one in control of my riding.

Checked out the video as it says Quinn Cody... What the hell happened to him. He looks 100 years older than last time I saw him on video when he use to ride dirt bikes...

Maybe it's the result of riding 2,800 miles on a dirt bike year after year! Facial hair always helps to add a touch of maturity too...

Maybe it's the result of riding 2,800 miles on a dirt bike!

sorry guys ,nice video,but does this have anything to do with the new africa twin or am I missing something?

For any of u interested in testing the DCT,honda big wing has planned to let a few
vehicles available for the 22nd nov.the Adventure is of course not, but the NCX750 will be,(from which u could expect a similar performance(?)

Thanks 'Forest'.
I was there today and the guys were too busy with customers for me to chat with them!
Must be selling quite a few. :bliss:

Thanks 'Forest'.
I was there today and the guys were too busy with customers for me to chat with them!
Must be selling quite a few. :bliss:

I actually wish the new adv to be in true 'Dakar' lightweight 450cc spirit ;) ..but that's looking at least 750cc..lets see

The next instalment from Honda

[video=youtube_share;eA7VrCwiUPk]http://youtu.be/eA7VrCwiUPk[/video]

Ohhh what a tease, see Steph Jeavons made an appearance.

Ohhh what a tease, see Steph Jeavons made an appearance.

All respect and salute to our friend Steph.. But where is the news+TA specs or? Yes we love adventure,fact but another teaser video?.more 'honda vapour'

" The new Africa Twin is set to be shown in full finished form in 2015 to go on sale in 2016 according to MCN sources. "

(Source 'Motorcyclenews.com')

spoke this morning to CM bigwing! he said is also a 'maybe' for thailand..but oviusly not sure of what is what saying..matter of fact he said there is a show in february and could be a surprise(???)
ye right..............:hmm

" The new Africa Twin is set to be shown in full finished form in 2015 to go on sale in 2016 according to MCN sources. "

(Source 'Motorcyclenews.com')

The third instalment from Honda.

[video=youtube_share;odpOps2bKZA]http://youtu.be/odpOps2bKZA[/video]

From the content and interview with the Japanese Technical Director and specifically the line, "We develop technologies here that can lead to mass production", I infer that Honda will be taking lessons learnt from Dakar and incorporating the technology in the production of the True Adventure bike.

From memory, the leading Hondas in this years Dakar had to have engine changes near the end of the event, which ruined their chances of overall victory.
Pity about that.

Meanwhile ....

cb500x-rally-version-2.jpg

... received in a recent email (no source given).

Can anybody explain what is meant under "Abstract"?

"A front cowl stay is enabled to be attached to vehicle body side..." - I'm lost already...

Can't help you with the abstract but maybe a spy shot of the new 'True Adventure' will elucidate the matter :jump

3321c638f10dc99feb3c9d5442d68c6a_zps02e3921b.jpg

Not as daft as it look's, stick some knobbies on that thing and it would go almost everywhere

Can't help you with the abstract but maybe a spy shot of the new 'True Adventure' will elucidate the matter :jump

View attachment 36926

This looks like something else from wht was presented in Milan
..i dont think will go that far from that

Those panniers look interesting, I have a MSX 125 in the UK and wouldn't mind a set, are they available?

Those panniers look interesting, I have a MSX 125 in the UK and wouldn't mind a set, are they available?

in CM custom made aluminium thicker then Toura!any size ;)

Thanks, where is the shop that sells them? the GPS co-ords would be appreciated

didnt get them but google this numb mate: 18.806145 ,99.013028
willl show on Maps.. also show them this pic ,will know I referred and behave accordingly pricewise :D should be around 3000 each !!:giving:
10374457_10152492188913174_3859063341835087638_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom