New Africa Twin CRF?

bsacbob

Administrator (Retired)
Bikes
Honda CRM-AR 250, Honda CRF 250-L, Suzuki V Strom XT 650 Honda XR250 Baja BMW F650GS
The New Africa Twin Is a CRF...

the-new-africa-twin-is-a-crf-80458-7.jpg

That's an interesting find Bob, in it's day, this was the king of the adventure bikes. When you look at dressed up road bikes, that are made to look like adventure bikes in today's market, like the Triumph 800XC, there arn't many that are real exploring machines.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/03/29/2013-adventure-bike-comparison-test-review-stats-photos/

Triumph Tiger 800XC

Ups.jpg

• Awesome engine: smooth, powerful and fun
  • Sounds like an angry warbird strafing the desert
  • All the bells and whistles
Downs.jpg

• All the bells and whistles cost serious bank
  • Funky ergos make no friends
  • Top-heavy feel fights you off-road

To no one's surprise, the KTM proved to be king of the sand hill. Its engine wasn't the favorite, but as the lightest of the big bikes and having the most off-road-oriented riding position and chassis feel, it was right at home, feeling like a much smaller enduro machine. Magic.

What we do know for sure is that Honda Thailand have been playing around with a couple of varieties of what they call the '500X Cross Challenge'
as seen here.

Honda Cross Challenge.jpg

Maybe a mini AT type bike, adapted from what they already have, is a more likely possibility here.

Then, of course, there's always the CRF450L possibility! Would be easy to do.

Instant visual response is, I liked the concept sketch feel more..

… there's the CB500X, in a rally version. There are no multi-cylinder bikes around 500cc in the adventure market. Except if you build one yourself, such as what Honda's Thai chapter of the HRC has done.

I'd buy one tomorrow!
Things seem to have gone quiet re this local 500X conversion.

500X Cross Challenge.jpg

More info (and a suggested US price) here.
Bring it on!!

New Dirt Focused Honda Adventure Bike for 2015? » ADV Pulse

1000cc??

Potential specs reported by Motorrad describe a new Africa Twin with a 1000cc Parallel-Twin instead of a V-Twin (apparently for cost saving purposes). The engine output would be around 100 hp with a dry weight of 397 lb (180 kg) and price tag of roughly $13,800 US. The bike would ride on a 21″ front wheel and 17″ rear, with 9.8 inches (250 mm) of suspension travel.

1000cc??

Potential specs reported by Motorrad describe a new Africa Twin with a 1000cc Parallel-Twin instead of a V-Twin (apparently for cost saving purposes). The engine output would be around 100 hp with a dry weight of 397 lb (180 kg) and price tag of roughly $13,800 US. The bike would ride on a 21″ front wheel and 17″ rear, with 9.8 inches (250 mm) of suspension travel.

1000cc come on Mr Honda what about us little guy's.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Forum Runner

[FONT=Georgia, Bitstream Charter, serif]Well, the "September 10" "reveal" has come and gone without anything of interest.[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Bitstream Charter, serif]They seem to get their dates wrong here ….. "[/FONT]In May 2015 we had brought up the Honda CB500 Rally versions [FONT=Georgia, Bitstream Charter, serif]….. "
[/FONT]

Sure is an interesting waiting game though!

Craig, when I was at Big Wing CNX today I asked a salesman about new models.
He could/would only say that Honda Thailand will announce four new models during November.
So I asked if one of them would be that 500X 'Adventure' that they've been trialling.
'No', was a rather emphatic reply.
So we got onto the 'Africa Twin 1000' and what I got was an uncommitted smile!

Bring it on.

Lan from C&P thinks this is just a modified CXB 500 X and not a new Africa Twin model, we shall see.

Copied this from ADVrider

From Honda press release:

True Adventure Prototype
The second prototype on display is the True Adventure Prototype. Inspired by both Honda's fantastic heritage in adventure motorcycling and our recent Dakar programme, the True Adventure Prototype captures the product direction as Honda seeks to expand its presence in the Adventure segment. This prototype has been developed to deliver outstanding off-road capability, and could provide the basis of a true round-the-world motorcycle. It's flanked by the current Team HRC CRF450 Rally and, paying respect to Honda's competition legacy, the 1989 Paris-Dakar winning NXR Africa Twin ridden by Gilles Lalay.
No further technical details or information on either the road going RC213V-S Prototype or True Adventure prototype are available at this time.

13a5224553ac99bd9bc3aa44f3cbc8e5_zps06250cf7.jpg

7251ba767dfa60b8183745b2f2fcca6f_zpsf1bbb490.jpg

It's not the CB500 X Engine. Forks look a bit thin though !?

From an italian site It seems to be 1000cc (?) doppia frizione(double clutch! )and will be in production in 3 versions(?)... Quiet exiting have to say..there is another live presentation video (in my homecountry) gave me goose bumps ;) lets see the evolution..nice machine.ride on!

more 'leaked' info from Motociclismo .. : Infatti, dalle nostre informazioni, dovrebbe arrivare a tarda primavera 2015, tra aprile e giugno..

meaning from their info could be on the market in april /june. (but it could be speculation ..)anyway,so looking forward to it and to test the double clutch ,gona be difficult to refrain from buying this vehicle!!

Back
Top Bottom