New Africa Twin CRF?

Black always makes you look slimmer...

Real life picture for size perspective of the new 1,000cc Africa Twin, doesnt give the impression of being too big and bulky.

12360283_10205043403387968_8419562539989742986_n.jpg

Prices just in from Honda BigWing Chiang Mai's FB page.

550,000THB for manual clutch model, 580,000THB for the DCT model.

12552974_1240475542646941_6117549488638470404_n.jpg image.jpg

Image confirms prices and colours (no tricolour???) and states that orders are being taken as of today!

Last edited:
Manual v DCT back-to-back

[video=youtube_share;50_3wCCwwl0]http://youtu.be/50_3wCCwwl0[/video]

Another photo (posted by an Inmate on ADVRIDER who 'found' the photo) for comparison purposes.

image.jpeg

When are we likely to see this Bike in the Showrooms ?

When are we likely to see this Bike in the Showrooms ?

No idea. The recent earthquake affected the Honda plant at Kumamoto where this model is made, shutting it down. This bike still hasn't arrived in North America. Doubt if you would get a sensible/reliable answer from AP Honda here to your question either...

Shanghai official HONDA Dreamwing dealership told me earlier during the week that they expect arrival during early August 2016 but doubt as they factory closure has been extended till end of next week apparently...
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/japan-earthquakes-honda-halt-kumamoto-factory/ and http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-industry/honda-factory-closure-extended/31147.html

Honda Africa Twin available via Honda Shanghai dealership during 2016, Manual = 163000 RMB++ (approx. 25082 US$) and DTC = 183000 RMB++ (approx. 28160 US$).

Honda AT buyers in Shanghai better be prepared to pay approx. 250000 RMB (around 38585 US$) for a Shanghai "A" license plate / registration and a Shanghai "C" license plate / registration goes for approx. 65000 RMB (around 10032 US$) currently.

Well ~ can't complain, making good $$$$'s every single month on my Shanghai plates / registrations as holding them for a long time, back from the cheap plate days gone by.....

The Thai prices seem reasonable when considering you are getting a Japanese assembled bike. F800 and Tiger prices are in the same ball park and locally assembled.

I'm now seriously considering the AT as my 'larger bike' so will be visiting BIGWING in BKK soon to get their version of the delivery date saga.

Africa-Twin-test-8-561x374.jpg

It's hard to believe the day has come but the Africa Twin has finally landed on US soil after a long 28-year wait. Two years ago, when the news first broke about a new Africa Twin, there was much speculation about the bike. Rumors flew about a revolutionary new liter-class model with the weight and dimensions of a middleweight.

Honda put huge efforts into developing a true heir to one of their most popular models and after years of development and testing, they were finally ready to release it to the public eye. While most fans of the Africa Twin couldn't be happier with what they saw, for some, the spec sheet wasn't quite as impressive as they'd hoped. But specs can often be deceiving and much about a bike's true nature can only be learned through a test ride.

Recently, we got a chance to test the new Africa Twin at Honda's US Press event held in scenic Moab, Utah. Here are 10 key takeaways from our Africa Twin test after two days of hard riding, both on- and off-road...

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/honda-africa-twin-test/

Yeah, that's what I figured. Glad I pulled the trigger on the RallyRaid L3 for my CB500X rather than wait for the Africa Twin!

Hoping they're going to be reasonably available in the next year... but if they SAY October you're likely to not see them until January.

Lyndon Poskett just gave the new Africa Twin a try:

First of all I'd like to make something clear, I'm not a motorcycle journalist and the only reason I am doing this is quite simply to fulfill the requests from many of my fans and followers who asked for it. So if you like it and think others would like to read it, please go ahead and share it. So, here it is, my first and unbiased / non-comparative impressions of the new Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin.

Jumping on the bike for the first time, my immediate thoughts were, wow, the motor and ride is so smooth, unsurprising really considering I'd just climbed off 130,000km on a big single! The next thing that sprang to mind was how soft the power was, at first this was mildly disappointing but then again I am use to high powered sports bikes and off-road race bikes with smaller highly strung engines. This bike was not designed to be either of those so as the day progressed, I began to realize what Honda wanted to, and had achieved (read on). The third thing I noticed was how much I liked the riding position, very comfortable sat for long periods on the highway and also very friendly to my tall frame (6'4") when standing up or attacking stuff off-road. With the first few corners and thoughts out of the way, it was time to give it the ponies, and pony up it did, comfortably whisking its way up to an indicated 190kmh and still pulling. Hmm, pretty impressive that for what initially seemed a little relaxed in the power department.

So, I had three bikes for 5 days, a red one, standard clutch and road tyres; a black one standard clutch with TKC80's fitted and a silver DCT (Dual Clutch Transmission) with road tyres. All three of them I took on the road and off-road and covered a combined mileage of around 900km in 5 days between a bunch of other activities including delivering training schools, presenting and chatting to lots of likeminded people at the Overland Adventure Rally in Ontario, Canada.
On the road the handling is sharp for a bike with 21"/18" wheels. Throw it about you may, and it won't complain. It's super stable, friendly and a joy to ride. As a commuter I suspect it will do exceptionally well, especially with the 60+mpg (<4l/100km) I got from it on an average road ride. But lets not stop on the road, a good 50% of my riding was on gravel roads or adventure trails.

The suspension is quite compliant, or soft you might say which really does help it to be comfortable on the road and for the majority of gravel roads and tracks it works well and provides positive feedback with no unexpected behaviors. Start pushing it though and you will find yourself winding the clickers up at a pretty sharp rate. I played with the settings a bit and you can dial it in pretty well for 80% of the things that I did which is probably 100% for the majority of oweners. However, if you are a serious racer or off-road rider like myself that likes to push their bikes hard, you will soon find yourself finding the limits of the stock setup, but lets face it, that's the same with any production bikes for that matter. Even my Factory Rally bike has had its suspension uprated to deal with everything I throw at it. So, in conclusion I think it will work well for the majority and that's for sure where Honda aimed it.

The weight of the bike has been a massive topic of discussion, everyone expected less right? Well, it might not physically be the weight you were looking for but boy does it carry it well. Honda clearly worked hard to get the CofG low and geometry right as it just does not feel like a 200kg+ motorcycle, even full of fuel, on or off-road.

Now, I'm not that used to riding aids (ABS/Traction Control), so as soon as I got off-road the bike began to do things I wasn't expecting so it was not long before I was playing around with the settings to explore the possibilities. First thing to note is the ease at which you can change the settings. The Traction settings are a finger flick away and the ABS easily accessible on the dash. For me I'd like to be able to change both of these on the fly but from memory only the traction could be adjusted while riding, I'm sure this is the same on all new bikes. Another slightly frustrating thing for me was how every time you turn the ignition off, it defaults to full safe mode (max traction and ABS). Putting these (probably regulatory) issues aside, the settings worked really well from 'off' to 100%. I tried it all. With the traction full on, your not going to worry about the rear wheel doing anything but optimal, even on a gravel road or off-road, but if you start reducing the levels, you find yourself comfortably sliding around corners and having fun letting the computers do the work, without worrying about her stepping out too far. For the most part though, I rode with traction off and played till my heart was content and this was where I realized how much I liked the soft power delivery of the engine.

The motor is electric in terms of power delivery, very linear and smooth and not aggressive like some of the bigger adventure bikes can be, this made it a joy to ride. The bark of the intake and the exhaust note is a pleasure to listen to and it for sure still has enough oomph to get you into trouble so you still have to treat it with respect. The gearbox ratio's are nice, relatively wide ratio 6 speed, a good spread for most situations experienced on an adventure bike and a comfortable cruising speed.
The ABS is also adjustable but the models I had in Canada would not allow you to turn the front completely off, just the rear. At first I was disappointed by this but when you ride the bike hard in the 'ABS off' setting I was pleased to have the mild front ABS still in place, I used it plenty of times and although I could have managed without, it worked well so I guess its acceptable &#9786;.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's arrived in Chiang Mai

_DSC1261_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Only 1 on display

_DSC1252_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

_DSC1263_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Mean looking

_DSC1262_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Looks like this was the non-auto model

_DSC1260 by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

_DSC1259_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Side box fastener system built into the bike

_DSC1258 by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

_DSC1257_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

_DSC1256_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Ordered a silver DCT model today at the BITEC Big Motor sale. 580,000&#3647;, expected delivery this November. Paid 10K deposit. Red looks great but after a lot of research decided on the DCT transmission, which isn't offered here in the red. No freebies, only the 1. Basic, 2. Skill Riding and 3. Advanced training courses thrown in for free.

Here's me on the bike to see how relatively small it looks (and feels). I'm 183cm tall seat's in the high position.

View attachment 47435 View attachment 47436 View attachment 47437 View attachment 47438 View attachment 47439

Ordered a silver DCT model today at the BITEC Big Motor sale. 580,000&#3647;, expected delivery this November. Paid 10K deposit. Red looks great but after a lot of research decided on the DCT transmission, which isn't offered here in the red. No freebies, only the 1. Basic, 2. Skill Riding and 3. Advanced training courses thrown in for free.

Here's me on the bike to see how relatively small it looks (and feels). I'm 183cm tall seat's in the high position.

View attachment 47435 View attachment 47436 View attachment 47437 View attachment 47438 View attachment 47439

Attachments not working Craig

Phishing warnings interfered with the photo uploads. Let's try again!
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 330
ICON Motorsports

[video=youtube_share;Bv7wwDB1y6o]http://youtu.be/Bv7wwDB1y6o[/video]

Apart from the tyres this bike looks stock.

I think it's going to need decent crash bars Craig to be honest. Have you looked at the options ?

I think it's going to need decent crash bars Craig to be honest. Have you looked at the options ?

Yes I have, and I agree with you. There are quite a few options on the market already (Touratech, SW Motech, Givi etc.) but I'm going with the Altrider protection that is only just coming onto the market now. All looks quality and well thought out too.

[video=youtube_share;IejszEyJJYY]http://youtu.be/IejszEyJJYY[/video]

[video=youtube_share;0ECIR71u6nY]http://youtu.be/0ECIR71u6nY[/video]

EDIT: Just seen Altrider crash protection is being sold via Facebook. The guy is located in BKK but wants double the US prices! Full crash bar system is $687 (24,000&#3647;), which he's selling for 48,000&#3647;. Think I'll wait until my trip to England in April and pick up the parts from the Altrider's EU website.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom