Looking for tracks near Pattaya

Nightrider70 said:
Anyone who knows of any tracks in the vincinity of Pattaya?

MR Hassman is an expert on this subject,having lived and trail ridden in that area, ill try and get his attention.

i also have quite a few tracks saved from around the pattaya area, unfortunately you'll need to wait until i get home in 3 weeks or so to post them.
Theres loads of trails just to the west of Bira race track area and if you go over the other side of the highway across from Bira theres loads over there too. If you want a better challenge you'll have to go up in the hills around the Sriracha area, however there is a couple of challenging hills well to the east of Pattaya for exploring too.

There are lots of trails but I do not have any GPS coordinates for any of it.

If you leave BIRA racetrack and head left out the gates you can turn left right after and this will take you into pineapple and tapioca fields, not sure how accessible this area is now as there is some development going on if I am not mistaken.

If you just turn left at the BIRA gates and keep travelling towards Pattaya on the road (the 31??) you will come upon a Shell gas station on the other side of the road, u-turn and just before the gas station is a dirt road, this is a good start -about 500 meters in take a left, if you keep going straight you end up at a horse farm and the owner is less than pleased with dirtbikes around there.

Turn the left and keep going and you will end up on a tarmac road going between the 331 and Naklua/the motorway coming down from Chonburi -hang a left on this road and about 300 meters down take a right onto a small tarmac road -the road leads to a temple and just before the temple gates you can access the woods on your right -there may be a gate 50 meters in that you need to close after you gone through it or the cattle will get lose.

This wooded area you are now in is used a lot by mountain bikers and there are at least 3 different trails with little signs leading you the way -brown, red and green it was back when I used to ride there.

If you were to hang a right as you hit the tarmac road instead of left and go about 500 meters down the road and hang a left just after some houses/shacks you end up at a small water reservoir -this is the "back" of the wooded area and if you go on the road on top of the enbankment (spelling??) and enter the woods on the other side of the reservoir you will have a good ride too, some of the tracks end up taking you back to the reservoir, others will drop you out on the 331 going north to south -if you end up on the 331 hang a left (south) and you will get to a gas station/3 way junction -the 3 way junction is for the road you were on earlier that drops you in Naklua/motorway.

Head south (towards Sattahip) on the 331 from the gas station and go over the bridge, you can see BIRA to your right, keep going a klick or so and then start exploring the dirt roads taking off to your left, one of the dirt roads has a "gate" about 50 meters in, zip around the gate and blast into the dirt roads in the tapioca fields, hang a 90 degree right after about 150 meters and keep blasting your way down -this area is deep sand and it is really nice, as you hit the end of it you can turn left or right, hang a right and ride until the wooded dirt track, turn left there. ride that to the end -200-300 meters, hang a right, ride that road until you come out of the woods (there si a water crossing about halfway) and then hang a left on a road that is right next to the wooded area, if you go straight you end up on a fairly big potholed dirt road.

As you exit the small dirt road you end up on the big dirt road right next to a quarry on your right, hang a left about 100 meters and then hang a right up a hill, follow this hill road and you will end up in Rayong province...

You will see a mountainous area ahead of you with big power pylons -aim for the pylons and make your way towards the mountain, I cannot describe the roads to take but there are lots of small dirt roads and tracks leading there, the mountainous area is a great ride and the back of it will take you down to the coastal road between Sattahip and Rayong.

Sorry I cannot be any clearer, it was years ago and we did not have any GPS's, the area is riddled with tracks though and as soon as you learn them you will have a blast, you may want to try to track down Brian Morris in Pattaya as I think he still rides there.

Cheers
Hassman

Mr. Hassman, very thorough and detailed as usual - i tip my hat to you.

"Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?"

The tracks on the map are the mountain bike tracks I was mentioning, if you follow 331 south over the 36 (I may have referred to road 36 as road 31) flyover and hang a left a click past the flyover you will find a bunch of new trails, also if you continue about another click down the road around the 3145 on the Pattaya side of the 331 are also a bunch of trails.
The area south of BIRA and hemmed in between Pattaya and the 331 was also riddled with good trails but a golf course was built and then some developments and I am not sure how much of these trails are still fun.

About 2-3 klicks in on the 3145 coming from the 331 are also a bunch of trails.

Sorry I cannot be more specific about this...

Thanks loads.

So far I have managed to trace your tracks up to the point of going south of 36.

The moutain bike tracks are a blast. Mostly single tracks in jungle hills. The jungle provides shade too. Very funny to explore these tracks. Ride with proper boots and long pants because there are big snakes and big spiders around...

The tracks starting at the Shell gas station on 36 seems to have been poorly graded with a bulldozer some time back and are not very funny to be honest.

I am now looking for the road you describe as "follow this hill road and you will end up in Rayong province..."

johnnysneds said:
i also have quite a few tracks saved from around the pattaya area, unfortunately you'll need to wait until i get home in 3 weeks or so to post them.
Theres loads of trails just to the west of Bira race track area and if you go over the other side of the highway across from Bira theres loads over there too. If you want a better challenge you'll have to go up in the hills around the Sriracha area, however there is a couple of challenging hills well to the east of Pattaya for exploring too.

Are you in a position to post those tracks now? If so I would be glad. Thank you very much!

I was in Pattaya last week to get some medical stuff sorted and found the sheer amount of tourist numbers in town somewhat overwhelming.

I too would be interested in gps tracks of nearby trails plus accommodation options that are quiet and away from the really busy tourist areas.

Start running / walking ;) with the Pattaya Bush Hash or the Pattaya Jungle Hash. After a few months you will know where most of the dirt road and trails are. At least enough to go exploring.

Nightrider70 said:
johnnysneds said:

Are you in a position to post those tracks now? If so I would be glad. Thank you very much!

Here's a link to download some gpx data for your garmin device. There's not a lot as i seem to have deleted most of them for some reason.
Hope its of some use. Most of the other trails I have saved are around soi6 for some reason, must be a glitch in the gps tracking or something! :RE

Dirt Tracks Around Pattaya.GPX

Here is an area, marked in red on the map, with a maze of tracks. Not very big however.
The surrounding area have some tracks and small dirt roads too.
E100.948952° N12.883033°

map1.jpg

I start my 6 weeks off on Sunday so will try to add to this section once Im back home. I got the tracks from Johnnysneds and looks like you can link up quite a bit North of Huay Yai and around the 331.

This starts from Bike Lane near the Elephant village and will take you to the single track at Khao Mai Kaeo virtually all on dirt roads / tracks. I think around 70 Kms or a little more.
ScreenShot2012-05-03at160609.png

garethw said:
This starts from Bike Lane near the Elephant village and will take you to the single track at Khao Mai Kaeo virtually all on dirt roads / tracks. I think around 70 Kms or a little more.

Sweet. Can you post tracklog in a downloadable format?

Thanks.

Nightrider70 said:
garethw said:

Sweet. Can you post tracklog in a downloadable format?

Thanks.

Can you tell me how to do that and I'll do it.....

Im intending to try going South East from Huay Yai tomorrow morning, if I find anything good I'll post them as well.

You use "upload attachment" button at the bottom of the editor when you write a post. The file has to be compressed to a zip file before it is accepted. I will try with a untested track around Prasae reservoir.

I usually upload to a filehost, www.fileden.com in my case, and then link to the file/picture in the post using the link provided by www.fileden.com.

Attachments

• prasae track.zip
    15.2 KB · Views: 322
When I try to un-zip both of the files I get an error saying the files are damaged.

If you use www.fileden.com or a similar service you do not have to compress to a zip file, it is only if you use the "upload attachment" at the bottom of the forum editor you have to zip the files.

Here are the beginning of two tracks that may be of interest.
The "interesting" track may be another entrance to the mountain bike trails.
The "challenge" is a hard track I could not manage, it supposedly runs over a small mountain I don't know the name of.

tracks.gpx

If you can delete my home at Huay Yai from the track feel free to upload.

I am home for another couple of weeks if you fancy meeting up for a ride. Some of the steep up hill sections in the mountain bike trails are to much for me at the moment, to many falls resulted in walking the bike up and towards the end of the ride, Johnny who was riding with me actually had to ride my bike up for me. The combination of tree roots, rocks and loose sand coupled with my limited experience beats me for now.

garethw said:
If you can delete my home at Huay Yai from the track feel free to upload.

I am home for another couple of weeks if you fancy meeting up for a ride. Some of the steep up hill sections in the mountain bike trails are to much for me at the moment, to many falls resulted in walking the bike up and towards the end of the ride, Johnny who was riding with me actually had to ride my bike up for me. The combination of tree roots, rocks and loose sand coupled with my limited experience beats me for now.

I will delete the start and finish of the track log before upload, I do the same with my own logs to conceal my exact home location.

I ride on street wheels and don't have any protective gear so I don't care for the thought off-roading but enjoy an easy track sometimes. Rocks, ruts, mud, deep sand and steep hills are things I avoid.

I send you my number in a PM.

Rode the trail to the waterfall in Ang Rue Nai wildlife sanctuary. The jungle is dense and there are loads of butterflies, in places they cover the track. Don't ride in t-shirts, like we did, but cover your skin because there are also aggressive flies. The track starts as a super fine small smooth dirt road and gradually turns into a track. When you enter the sanctuary they charge 20 baht per person and 20 baht per bike. It seems like not many white people come here because they did not have a hiked rate for whites. The waterfall at the end of the track was pure crap, over grown and only a trickle. The track is a very nice ride but you can argue if it is worth the long ride up there and the 40 bath entrance fee.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=13.2339&lon=101.7411&zoom=13&layers=M

Ang Rue Waterfall.gpx

http://www.wildlifethailand.com/blo...ticles/62-khao-ang-rue-nai-wildlife-sanctuary

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

^ This area is in the mountains behind Sri Racha, there are a heap of good tracks out that way, I've ridden there a lot. If you like proper enduro stuff, this is much better riding than the dirt tracks behind Pattaya. There's lots of sand and loose dirt, so it doesn't get slippery. Plenty of hills with ruts and rocks, single track, a bit of everything.

If you go on a Sunday beware of other riders, lots of Thai groups get out there.

^ This area is in the mountains behind Sri Racha, there are a heap of good tracks out that way, I've ridden there a lot. If you like proper enduro stuff, this is much better riding than the dirt tracks behind Pattaya. There's lots of sand and loose dirt, so it doesn't get slippery. Plenty of hills with ruts and rocks, single track, a bit of everything.

If you go on a Sunday beware of other riders, lots of Thai groups get out there.

You could call it behind Sri Racha but it is not very near Sri Racha. It is in Ang Rue National park half way to Cambodia from Sri Racha.

This link is zoomed in on the track: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=13...om=13&layers=M

^ Looks like I got it completely wrong, I was thinking of another waterfall in the mountains behind Sri Racha.

Luke and jamie have been doing some tracks down there I think luke had been recording them I'll try get them for you

yep my move down to pattaya should be complete soon so me and me mate jamie will be out enduroing regularily, would be great to hook up with others and share trails...

Luke and jamie have been doing some tracks down there I think luke had been recording them I'll try get them for you

I was told there's some very good tracks in that area, but you have to get permission to ride there, don't know how true it is. There's certainly a lot of jungle over that way.

Back
Top Bottom