Lombok, Sumbawa, Flores and return. Part 3.

merantau

Bikes
Kawasaki KLX150, Honda Vario
Ferries are the lifeblood of Nusa Tenggara Barat and Nusa Tenggara Timor. Without them the cash economies of the islands east of Bali would wither and die. The markets are in the islands to the west - Lombok, Bali, and Java - and the ferries are the link.

View attachment 31925 At Pelabuhan Kayangan (Heaven Port) east Lombok, the lower slopes of Rinjani volcano in the background.

Ferry travel is cheap and usually reliable however, in late 2013, the KMP Munawar went down off Lombok with the loss of two lives. It lies on the bottom about five fathoms down and will eventually become a dive site when some enterprising operator realizes the potential.

DSCN3620.jpg I think the Indonesian Government bought a bulk lot of these ferries second-hand from China. They're certainly hauling a lot of rust around.

DSCN3624.jpg They usually have comforting words emblazoned on their sides, such as: "We bridge the nation.", "We Serve the Nation", or "We Love Indonesia."

DSCN3627.jpg Arriving in Poto Tano, Sumbawa. In dry season, it's as desolate and parched a spot as you'd find anywhere. Perfect spot for a gulag in the tropics. A few incredibly tough souls dig for gold in the knobs of hills surrounding the town. At low tide the women seek out marine edibles in the shallows.
DSCN3626.jpg T.he ferries are twin-screw, catamaran-hull, about 65 mt long. They can take 3 trucks apart at their widest, two at the ends
DSCN3631.jpg You can buy snacks on board and there are plenty of vendors on shore too.
DSCN3639.jpg The road across Sumbawa is 95% excellent. Built as part of an Australian Govt. Aid package.

DSCN3641.jpg I had to carry extra gear as I was planning on climbing Mt Tambora again.
DSCN3648.jpg The Regent's office in Sumbawa Besar city.
DSCN3653.jpg The track to Post 3. I never made it. Got about 7 km along it. Came to some steep rocky, sandy spots. Got up them after a few tries. Had bike sliding backwards. Toppled over twice, lost some bark on shin. It was hot as hell. No one around. I figured it was only going to get tougher and I still had 20 - 30 km to go. So did the smart thing and turned back. I really needed a mate to help. Next time eh! Saw a few wild horses and some beautiful pheasant.

DSCN3637.jpg In Sumbawa farmers use the kejawade tree to make fences. It's constantly pruned to provide forage for stock in the dry season.
DSCN3672.jpg This is where I ended up after turning back - Hu'u Beach.
DSCN3676.jpg It's a well-known surf break but not for beginners. Just after I left a surfer got dumped and was taken to Dompu Hospital in a coma. They could not assist so he was helicoptered out to Mataram. Don't know the end result.
DSCN3652.jpg
DSCN3654.jpg
DSCN3657.jpg
DSCN3656.jpg

DSCN3658.jpg

Hi Colin. Yes, want to be there next year too. Met some members of SMAC - the Sumbawa Motorcycle Adventure Club - in Sumbawa Besar. They've been up to Pos 3 on their bikes and are planning the same for next year. I would like to hook up with them. From Pos 3 it's only 3 hours to the crater. Going back to Oz next week. Regards, Steve.

nice.. done the same ride last month on the some bike ,.. but mines is 2011 mod ..its the best ride not more than 100mt is straight so cool but tiring ..I see yours is Lombok mines.. bali would be nice to connect on the next ride.?

Heading back to Oz next week oldmate but keep in touch as will be back next April so if you're around ... Yeah anywhere east of south Bali is great to ride. This was my first bike ride to Flores. Did 'Bajo to Bajawa. Then Bajawa - Riung - Aegola - Boawe - Bajawa, then Bajawa - Aimere - Ruteng and finally Ruteng - Reo - 'Bajo. Incredible scenery, lovely people. Will be back for sure.

Hi Colin. Yes, want to be there next year too. Met some members of SMAC - the Sumbawa Motorcycle Adventure Club - in Sumbawa Besar. They've been up to Pos 3 on their bikes and are planning the same for next year. I would like to hook up with them. From Pos 3 it's only 3 hours to the crater. Going back to Oz next week. Regards, Steve.

Hi Steve, in 2011 a couple of us with some guys from Dompu, TTC (Tambora Trail Community) rode up to pos 3, then hiked to the summit. As you say, it takes 2-3 hours.
Hopefully we'll also be visiting Flores, Komodo, Timor amd Sumba. Previously, i never had the time but i'm being made redundant so i should be able to get to all the locations next April. Regards Colin

It looks like a fun trip you had there with some interesting trails to ride on.
What was your opinion on the KLX 150, did it cope with everything okay?

I'm pretty happy with the bike. I made my own seat for it as I'm tall and have to sit well back. It's light and when you're travelling on your own you want something that can be easily picked up if you drop it off road which I did twice when sliding backwards trying to get up to Post 3 on Mt Tambora. I'm 100% sure the bike would have made it easily if I'd had a mate with me. I also need to modify my rack so I can strap my bigger pack to it instead of having on the tank. It only weighed 11kg but that was enough to affect the bike's handling. I'm going to go ultra light next trip. I thought I knew it all about travelling light but I don't. I took stuff I never used. The bike is really fuel efficient. It would cruise happily at 90 kph all day if the roads were up to it. I know that's slow but that's all you need for over here. Off road it handles the rough, rocky, stuff ok. never been in mud as dry season here.

Thanks for that, it sounds the correct bike for me

Hello Colin,
Hope all's well. What are your plans for Tambora? We arrive in Lombok on April 8 and I guess I will head over to Sumbawa a few days later. Let me know your movements.
Cheers

Steve

Steve I am in Mae Sot now and staying in the north of Thailand for this trip

Colin

I'll be in Lombok for a short break/ride between 11-21march.rent a KLX to explore a bit.anyone around or suggestions on places to check out?cheers

Hi Steve,
All's good with me, i hope the same with you.
We will arrive in Denpasar 7th April and then make our way to Lombok and Sumbawa.
I'll keep you updated over the next few weeks.

Regards

Colin

Back
Top Bottom