Honda CB500 Price Increases

2wheels

Community Manager
Bikes
ROYAL ENFIELD CLASSIC
I went into Chiang Mai Big Wing today to order my Goldwing.
Very frantic there still and the sole salesman was inundated with calls and counter customers.
Plus, there were workmen everywhere fitting flash lights to highlight the bikes.

Cornered Khun Nook for a while and he gave me the new price list, which is

CB500X up from 209,00 baht to 215,000 baht.
CB500F now 205,000 baht
CB500R now 210,000 baht

thanks to the government's recent tax increases (their Christmas goodwill gesture!) :kat

Across the board, but on the day I was only checking CB500 prices.
And, in the case of the 500X, I think the increase is 12.5%.

There seems to be quite a bit of confusion with regard to the price hikes and unless we get some hard information on the tax rates for bikes based on emissions the whole tax rate issue will remain a guessing game.

The news paper reported new tax rates for vehicles (basically cars, trucks, etc. which run/can run on E10, E20, E85, Hybrids and NGV) based on emissions released by the different types see: Emissions-based car tax approved | Bangkok Post: business

At the same time they announce this new tax structure for vehicles, they announced also the following "Meanwhile, the ministry also proposed to Cabinet raising excise taxes on imported luxury motorbikes to 123 per cent for 800-1,000cc cylinder capacity from the current 103 per cent. The new tax rate takes effect today."

This is for IMPORTED motorbikes and the new Honda's are locally produced and do not fall in the 800-1,000 cc cylinder capacity so should not be affected by the new excise rate

the new Honda's are locally produced and do not fall in the 800-1,000 cc cylinder capacity so should not be affected by the new excise rate

Good point Auke.

Well the good thing about not make the tax-increase rule public known, is that anyone can rise their price and blame it on the government.

Chang Noi

A bit more on the new taxes here from PostToday.com in Thai (with Google translation) - http://www.posttoday...นั�

Council of Ministers (cabinet) on 18 Sep ago. Approved the restructuring of the excise tax for motorcycles panel. Archived from the original type of 2-stroke and 4-stroke engine is to be taxed according to engine cylinder capacity of the motor is nice drug cubic centimeters (cc) instead.
Consensus agreement. One. Motorcycles with a cylinder capacity not exceeding 150 cc tax rate of 3% 2. Motorcycles with a cylinder capacity between 150 cc and not exceeding 500 cc tax rate of 5%.
Three. Motorcycle with a 500 cc cylinder capacity but not exceeding exceeding 1,000 cc imposing the rate of 10%, and 4. Motorcycles with a cylinder capacity 1,000 cc and above the tariff rate of 20%.
The new tax rate. Cabinet has approved to be effective from 19 December onwards.

So, in the case of the new CB500 range for example, which are 471cc, the increase should be 5% when in fact it has increased 12-13%.
I believe Chiangnoi1's claim is valid.

Back
Top Bottom