Honda CB500F Drive Chain

Captain_Slash

Community Manager
Bikes
BMW 310GS Honda Wave 125 Honda MSX 125
After 8000 miles/13000km the chain on my 500F has a couple of links that look like they are seized up, this is not what I expect from a chain that has always been lubricated and only seen virtually dry weather use.
I expect 25000 miles/40000 km out of a chain, is mine an unusual case or is there a problem with these chains being not up to much in the same way that Kawasaki had problems with the chain quality on the Versys?
Considering the amount of 500 Hondas being rented out, word should be out by now if the renters are experiencing the same problems

Nearly every 'Regina' chain I have had the misfortune to have has had this problem, two snapped and one was on the way when I spotted the broken links. It doesn't seem to be so common with Japaneese chains - won't use any other country's chain now.
Before and after a lay up I use WD40 to loosen things up. For general lubing now I use WD40 or thin oil on the sideplates and 'O' rings, saveing the heavy tacky stuff fo the rollers.
Then there is the argument over what is best for off dusty road - thin oil - gear oil - nothing etc...

Nearly every 'Regina' chain I have had the misfortune to have has had this problem, two snapped and one was on the way when I spotted the broken links. It doesn't seem to be so common with Japaneese chains - won't use any other country's chain now.
Before and after a lay up I use WD40 to loosen things up. For general lubing now I use WD40 or thin oil on the sideplates and 'O' rings, saveing the heavy tacky stuff fo the rollers.
Then there is the argument over what is best for off dusty road - thin oil - gear oil - nothing etc...

I have also bought a Regina chain for a Honda XL600 and sure enough it snapped on me, I never used another one

My chains done 19,000 Kms. A few links are seized but the chains not stretched at all. The local dusty and muddy conditions must play havoc with chains.
I understand the OE chain is a DID and people had problems with them on the versys too. I'm talking to Khong(Kog) in Chiang Rai about a replacement Japanese chain. He says he has (or can get) RK chains. prices about 2k baht !?

I'll go check with him on Monday (His English and my Thai is not so good)

^ i got a Made In Japan 530 O Ring RK chain from the bike spares place on Chiang Moi rd CM.

Done probably 8k k's with it and only had to adjust it slightly a couple of times....seems the real deal.

Loop , Can you remember roughly how much it cost ? ....

I think it was around 2200-2500 baht.

The box it came in was printed in Japanese with Made in Japan in English.

Thanks loop. just helps me identify if it's a real one and not a dodgy copy

The chain on the bike is indeed a DID made in Thailand. I had very bad experience with a chain like that on my Versys. I replaced it with a EK-chain made in Japan and never had any problem anymore.

Back
Top Bottom