getting rolling in SE asia......what's the trick

i know how to ride a motorcycle
one down and five up.....right?
afterall, i have spent the last 18 months on two wheels
riding thru over 40 countries and logging in about 50,000 miles so far.
along the way, i have climbed active volcanos, paddled down white water rivers, chaced monkys in to the jungle and got chaced by the bulls thru the streets of Pamplona.

i am coming to SE Asia to ride now
and this may prove to be my most difficult challenge yet.
i need some help as i dont want to miss anything

i am still in the planning stage by i plan to arrive later next week.

my plan is to buy a Honda CRF250L
i think it would be best to buy it used as i hear it takes a month to get the plates
also i understand a dealer will not sell me a new bike unless i have residency in Thail and.
so i want to buy used as i can get on the bike sooner and i can be riding while my residency papers are being processed and i wait for my Thai drivers license. i also want to cross borders so i want to put the moto in to my name.
i plan to visit Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Malaysia and Indonesia.
it is my understanding that i can bring this bike in to all these counries except for Vietnam unless someone knows a way without jumping thru hoops.
i also understand that i will need a carnet for Indonesia which i can get in Malaysia

there is a lot of planning involved and i want to be sure i have all the correct information and i can get done what i can now so it doesnt delay my fun when i arrive.

i am asking for anyone that is in the know to chime in and help fill in any blanks

please give me any details that i might miss or over look
it is a complicated process but if you live there, then you know the system.

this will be help to other riders that also want to come to SE Asia, buy a motorcycle and explore the area as much as possible without being bogged down by bureaucratic red tape or unnecessary delays trying to understand the process.

thank you for your time and effort in responding with your knowledgable responses

Not sure what info you need/want but here is a write-up from another forum by a person who describes the whole process of transferring ownership when buying a used bike. This was done in Bangkok and although most provincial Department of Land Transport offices use the same procedure, there are also offices which follow other procedures with regard to the type of paperwork needed, procedures, etc. Besides, there are also times that you meet an officer who is hell-bent on making life difficult for you so go with the flow, keep smiling and never get angry if things are made more difficult than they should be. Remember this is Thailand, also commonly known as "TiT". and while laws are often interpreted differently or even ignored in different offices, you will never know if that's going to be the case in the office you are dealing with.

==================================

There seems to be a ton of information on transferring ownership, but the info's always the same and not comprehensive, at least in my research.

This morning I went to the Department of Land Transport head office (near Mo Chit) to complete the transfer. I think my purchase had the most hoops to jump through, which is why I think this would be a useful, comprehensive resource. Reasons being:

1) Buying used bike
2) Owner is unavailable to come to DLT with me
3) Bike is registered in different province
4) Registration/tax expires in a few days
5) Bike is 7 years old
6) Transfer paperwork dated 3 months ago
7) I don't have a licence

Okay 6) is not true, but when I paid for the bike, I didn't have one and so I made a visit to my local DLT to get one first, since I thought they'd ask for it when I wanted to transfer ownership. But nope, not necessary. Never asked for it.

So, to address the issues directly, for reference:

1) Buying used bike
2) Owner is unavailable to come to DLT with me Need Power of Attorney form signed by owner
3) Bike is registered in different province Need to get it done at main DLT, near Chatuchak, and takes 2 days
4) Registration/tax expires in a few days Reregistration can be done in conjunction with transfer
5) Bike is 7 years old Need to get Tor Ror Or inspection if older than 5 years
6) Transfer paperwork dated 3 months ago Possible fine for 15+ days, but lady was nice enough
7) I don't have a licence turns out to not be necessary

I also went solo with little-to-no Thai, which I think in these cases actually helps you get a bit of preferential treatment, with the added bonus of you making sure you understand everything.

So because the bike was registered in Chonburi, the boys at my closer DLT (soi 99) said I couldn't transfer ownership there, and had to go to the main office. I work Monday to Friday, 9-5, which automatically makes it difficult to get to the DLT. Why do they do that to us? ...

Anyway, it's best to get there early early early. All of my documents were checked and processed by the lady at information who spoke English, but there are other lines you have to wait in for other things and the later it is the busier it gets and it's best avoided. They open at 8am sharp. I still needed to get a Tor Ror Or check first, however, since my bike is older than five years. I kept an eye out for their recognizable blue-and-yellow logo the past few days but found nothing, so I had to find one in the area. Drove by the front of the DLT (on Phaholyothin road) and asked a motorcycle taxi driver for directions. Simple: take the first left after passing the front entrance, go to the end, take a left, and you'll be flooded with shops offering all the required checks. Stopped in the first one (bad idea, since it's the busiest, best to go on a bit and find a quieter one) and sat around for about 20 minutes as they checked others' bikes and then mine. All good, 60 baht, and a nice certificate. Cars cost 200 baht, I think.

All of these shops are also conveniently located by the back entrance to the DLT, so I drove in there and instantly got lost. There are many buildings, including testing labs and stuff (I work in the auto industry and was impressed to see some of the stuff they have going on over there) so I thought I'd start at what looked like the main building, Building 1. Reading Thai numbers is invaluable here, as there are very few signs in English, including the numerals.

But Building 1 is useless. Go to Building 2. Go in to the information desk, and just tell them in blunt English you need to transfer ownership. Any bad attempts at Thai are just gonna make things more difficult for you, I believe. Show the lady all your documents:

Bike Green Book
2 copies of owner's passport (ID page + latest visa page)
2 copies of owner's work permit ID page (or proof of residence, available from Embassy - also might take time)
2 copies of recipient's passport (ID page + latest visa page)
2 copies of recipient's work permit ID page (or proof of residence, available from Embassy - also might take time)
Copy of transfer form
Copy of power of attorney form (if owner is not with you)

All photocopies must be signed by their respective people (owner's passport by owner, your passport by you) and one set of copies of the owner's docs must be signed by you as well.

Luckily for me the previous owner had gotten the transfer and power of attorney forms before hand so he gave those to me, filled out his parts and signed when I took possession of the bike. Saves you a visit to the DLT.

The lady checked all my documents, even gave back some extra unnecessary stuff the owner gave me (marriage cert?...), and made me do a few copies. I think I have them comprehensively listed up there but I went to the copy boys 4 times so I might be wrong. Just be expected to copy a lot. 1 baht per page.

Then for the power of attorney form I had to pay the duty stamps, 30 bahts worth, which the lady then glued on for me. That gets copied too, with stamps. You also have to wait in line for the stamp man.

The lady also warned me that because the transfer and power of attorney form were dated 3 months ago (when I paid for the bike) I may have to pay a fine of 200 baht, but so far have not been asked for it. Also, don't worry about the forms being in Thai, she'll read out what you need to put where if you're nice enough.

Next was doing insurance and tax - the lady directed me to the insurance counters, where I took a number and waited my turn. Handed over my papers and 430 baht, and was given a new registration sticker square thing and receipt. Brought them back to the info lady.

Next was inspection by the boys at the DLT. Take your growing stack of documents over to the rear of Building 4, and drive into the little area full of motorbikes. Wait for your turn, or play dumb farang and ask around. I'm Asian and still got preferential treatment. They ask you for your stack of papers and do some more stamping and stuff, then ask you to open your bike. I'm not sure if they're supposed to do it and were being lazy, or just wanted to mess with a white collar looking fella like myself. Either way, I knew it would only cause delays if I refused, so I went to work. Which was annoying, since I was wearing my heavy black jeans and a shirt and tie, and it was hot. Had to wrangle off the plastic covers on the underbone of my bike with their supplied tools (which are very old and crappy) so they could get a reading of my chassis serial number. A few more stamps and junk and I was sent back Building 2. But not before having to wait for someone else to wrestle with their bent screwdriver, so I could put my bike back together. Back to information, and I was told all looked good....

I will say you will have problems getting into Vietnam and indonesia.. Maybe look at selling and buying local there or renting for a duration. I dont know of any source for a Carnet on Thai bikes in Malaysia (do you ?? this isnt just straight forward).. I know of one in the UK who will issue on a Thai bike but its a complex and costly process, more than the cost of buying another bike in Indo.

Cambodia is usually possible, tho they can be difficult at the borders this last year or two.. Almost always possible with a few attempts. Laos has just started asking for a additional piece of paper, but you can get that when you get the bike registration. Thailand, Malaysia, Laos and Cambo can all be on your list.

Asia isnt like Europe with open border policies.. But frankly Between Thailand / Laos / Cambo and some heading south you have months of playtime already.

Back
Top Bottom