German BMW rider fatality near Theong

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Got a message from Mai in Chiang Khong this morning that a German BMW rider had a fatal accident near Theong yesterday.

If anyone recognizes the bike & knows the owner please contact me, Thai registration 888

12280613125_6e1dd16d0e_o.jpg

1545157_235567646628903_1397390452_n.jpg

A terrible loss

I hope, it´s not Horst. Check this soon in KY. Darren said last week, he will do a visarun in Laos. Shit, if need help, let us know.

Terrible news who-ever it is.
Seems that he had a collision with a Toyota Vigo.

From David Bailey now back in Chiang Khong:

Regarding the motor bike accident in the Chiang Khong area earlier today.
It was a BMW 800gs licence number 888. Color is silver gray.
Some people think he's from here and that is why Mai was notified this morning but we've never seen him before.
Due to head injuries they can not identify him.
Accident happened between here and Thoeng.
Mai just called immigration and still do not know who he was.
One of our fellow riders must know of this bike???

"He's off upon that final ride, another Biker who has gone down."

May he rest in peace and wish his family and loved ones strength the coming period.

Well said Marcel
Thank you Auke, but the first line is not my own text.
When searching the web to find appropriate words I found a poem which a lady wrote for the funeral of her biker son.
The first line of my quote is the last line of her poem.

In occasions such as this awful accident we, as fellow bikers, must show respect and restrain from gossip and jumping to conclusions.

An update from Chiang Mai City news today;

"An update from a Swiss government representative handling the case has helped shed some light on the tragic event.The rider's name was Hans Knecht, who was a Swiss national living in Doi Saket just outside of Chiang Mai. Contrary to online speculation, it is no longer believed to be a hit and run case.
The wife of Hans was notified of the accident shortly after his body was discovered. He was identified by police shortly thereafter as he was carrying a licence, credit cards and mobile phone.
The driver of the vehicle who crashed into Hans and his motorcycle was waiting at the police station as required by law, which is where he met the wife of Hans and the Swiss government representative.
The Swiss government representative has stated that everyone is satisfied with the legal procedure so far. Funeral details will follow."

My condolences to Hans's family and friends and RIP Hans.

So he ran him into him and kept going to the nearest police station and off the hook?

The crash scene looked to me like he may have been stopped by the side of the road with helmet off and hit that way.

Gotta eliminate as much risk as you can out there on the roads...it's a jungle.

So he ran him into him and kept going to the nearest police station and off the hook? The crash scene looked to me like he may have been stopped by the side of the road with helmet off and hit that way. Gotta eliminate as much risk as you can out there on the roads...it's a jungle.

You are making rather stupid accusations which you cannot prove! Do you know the current local road condition between Ban Ta and Chiang Khong?
Better shut up, pay respect to the deceased and let the police handle the matter.

" … was waiting at the police station as required by law, … "

I quoted City Life hoping that the information would stop further speculation.

And I totally agree with you Marcel!

Let's hope both local sites will now let this man rest in peace.

Ron, Chiang Mai City News published this thread initially: Dead Foreign Bike Rider Found on Road in Chiang Khong ? Identity Unknown, Help Needed
They hardly checked legitimacy of the intelligence they received, did they??
It is not automatically true because it is printed in a newspaper or shown on a (newspaper?) website.

So all of these rumors started how? Based on what?
In my opinion all this started when a local Thai (sensation seeker?) posted on his facebook page awful pictures of the victim, stating that the driver was unidentified!

We took it easy riding through that stretch probably only an hour(s) before incident. Did notice a reddish coloured car (5k's prior to Thoeng on 1021 heading NEE) that had only just upended itself in what appeared a single vehicle incident (Saw the police coming from Thoeng within 2 minutes). The road after Thoeng (1020) was single track for many k's due to roadworks. Whatever the cause - it is sad to hear of a fellow biker who has passed on. May he rest in peace.

So he ran him into him and kept going to the nearest police station and off the hook?

Thats considered acceptable in Thailand as the theory being if you stop you run the risk of vigilante justice by angry friends or family.

Back
Top Bottom