How much does it cost to rescue your bike out of the jungle (a BMW F 800GS)?

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Had a long chat with big Dave tonight, who just had this experience.

A quick bit of background on the story:

Big Dave had agreed to meet with a couple of "rookie, off-road, weekend warriors, from Bangkok", who were bringing their bikes up on the train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai. The train was delayed, which meant they weren't able to start the ride from Chiang Mai well into the afternoon intending to head for Mae Hong Son on the west-bound "Elephant Trail", "we'll just go" was their attitude (no gps).

Dave was on a BMW F 800 GS (the other 2 guys on Kawasaki KLX 250's) & ended up with a fried clutch (on the BMW F 800 GS) and had to leave the bike in the jungle down a verge. Relying on the other 2 guys, the usual extended trail riding learning curve stuff happened with new guys in the jungle, running out of fuel and water etc.....& eventually they were able to get the help from some Hmong villagers for fuel, siphoning it from their pick-up. After a while luckily for them, a pick-up came along and was willing to go and rescue the bike in the dark, they'd all had enough by then and said they would prefer to get it in the morning.

For some reason when once they were near Wat Chan (already passed 10PM), one of the KLX rider's said he couldn't stay there because "he needed aircon"! So, onwards northbound they went all the way to Pai to find some aircon, apparently now around 1.30am!

Big Dave paid 1,000 bht for the Hmong-village-pick-up-drivers room in Pai, probably the most fancy night they'd ever had, they must have loved it. Next day they negotiated a price of 5,000 bht to go rescue the BMW F800 GS & deliver it to Chiang Mai.

Dave estimates the whole rescue ordeal, from the Hmong villagers lending him a scooter to rescuing the bike in the jungle & delivering it to Chiang Mai (probably 120km) was around 10,000 bht.

Probably a good benchmark to use.

Hmmm, let me see..... from the tone of your writing I guess your friend Big Dave was, er...... seething? :mad: Dontcha just love the air-con brigade!

Hmmm, let me see..... from the tone of your writing I guess your friend Big Dave was, er...... seething? :mad: Dontcha just love the air-con brigade!

I think his main concern was leaving a 1 million Bht BMW in the jungle. I don't really understand the KLX guy needing aircon, it's freezing?

From what I can gather, it seems this was a interesting wake-up call as to how important and useful a GPS with the correct maps installed on it can be. A good GPS map with all the village pump-up fuel data and correct village names could have saved them immense time and discomfort.

Also having an idea about a strangers abilities & attitude when they want to ride with you.
It's good to ride with unknown people but sometimes they can be wankers.

I remember that elephant trail. I got physically attacked there.

I was having a gentle lay down under my bike and I came under this vicious rain of blows from a certain woman.... who was also laying down in the wet clay with me.

214.jpg

Well i guess it's better than damp grass as my old dad used to say.

Pounce agree completely, but life's like a box of chocolates as they say :)

Should I point out that a certain BMW with knobby tyres had already laid down in that patch, twice, before I got there.

Sheesh that was slippery. Doesn't look it, but I reckon some damn elephant dropped a tube of KY there

Back
Top Bottom