Thoed Thai - Test the new BMW F 800 gs on & off-road

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Pannier boxes fitted, time to test this big beast on & off road (& go far enough to get the 1,000 km 1st service out of the way).

Had a think about where might be fun? Thoed Thai, Shan/ Myanmar border should be perfect if it stays dry.

DSC_1626_edited.jpg

DSC_1621_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

wp_ss_20140924_0001.jpg

Testing and poking around all going well so far, more to come...

Does she feel big/heavy/cumbersome Phil? Or is the moniker 'big beast' due to the portmanteau attached to your rear?

Does she feel big/heavy/cumbersome Phil? Or is the moniker 'big beast' due to the portmanteau attached to your rear?

I think without the boxes, say a Giant Loop Coyote instead it would be fine....not a fan of these pannier boxes so far.

This was to test the new F 800 gs bike in full, long distance tour mode. Basically make sure the aluminium pannier boxes stayed tight after a good run and nothing worked its self loose.

10612879_10153221966913345_5437985554345265489_n.jpg

Leaving Chiang Mai, head north on R 1001 and check how the new link road (R 1414) is coming along that links to R 107

14318840135_5ff0e75fe0_o.jpg

More on the link road here:

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...9-new-link-up-road-r-1001-r-107-r-1095-a.html

So, the first big disadvantage of the pannier boxes. With R 1414 not quite finished, the bike won't fit through the concrete bollards with the pannier boxes on.

IMG_9757_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Right turn & north up R 107 & first time to open up the BMW F 800 gs. Three things I immediately don't like about it:

- The seat feels too narrow at the bum cheeks and seems to lip up as it approaches your scrotum area

- Too much throw (rotation) on the throttle grip - will be looking for a shorter cam

- All-in-one kill/start switch. If you are in the habit of returning the kill switch to "on" after turning off, too easy to push it down too far and start the bike again.

Engine feels nice, plenty of power for getting passed stuff, feels like a great touring bike.

Chiang Dao

15337897461_1611857ac8_b.jpg
[/URL]DSC_1588_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr[/IMG]

Looks like we've got plenty of time to play with, I always love a poke around the edges, so up along R 1314/ Mae Fang National Park

No rain and wet season viz, a good place to take some snaps

DSC_1592_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

What a view

DSC_1589_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Looking east over R 1314 towards the Doi Wiang Pha National Park

DSC_1590_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Was expecting to get wet up here but no rain at all

DSC_1591_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

R 1314 is a beautiful loop if you have time and are headed up R 107/ R 1089

R 1314 fang txt.jpg

Back down the hill and the Pang Ton Duea Army/ Forestry base awaits (lots of loud music?)

DSC_1600_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

I get invited in, not quite sure whats going on here, nice, warm reception by the Captain

DSC_1602_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

The rice whisky had been flowing for a while for sure

DSC_1606_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

DSC_1612_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Everyone was real happy

DSC_1614_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

A more sober bunch playing Bache

DSC_1615_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Enough of the smell of boozed soldiers, time for some exploring.

To the east of the eastern part of R 1314, there is a "loose" border area in the valley. On some maps, you're actually in Myanmar here and the trails continue further into Myanmar.

This one continues. You'd need a small bike here, single trail and steep

DSC_1617_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

I know lots of riders like poking around where they cross the border into Myanmar without causing too much friction, this is a good place to explore at your own risk

R 1314 zoom txt.jpg

Army base in the bottom right of the map above

DSC_1618_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

A Picture of the Nor Lae check point i think if you go at the correct time to pass , some very steep hills .

border cross2.jpg

The bikes looks great Phil

Always a great view approaching the Thoed Thai/ Shan border area from the south

DSC_1624_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Only 4pm, time to test the F 800 gs offroad

DSC_1626_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Off-road, you really feel these boxes. The bike has plenty of power to get you through things & was surprisingly nimble. Wouldnt take these boxes off-road again

The stock tires are horrendous off-road for traction, they are road tires, I would not get them again

Still time to get north of Thoed Thai and have a look around the border area

DSC_1628_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

thoed thai with txt.jpg

The terraced rice fields up here are gorgeous

DSC_1630_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

In the background below is the northern border area in the Thoed Thai / Nam Mae Kham region

DSC_1631_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

I dont think many of us get up there, highly recommended (north of Thoed Thai) for some ethnic hilltribe immersion

DSC_1632_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

DSC_1633_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Border village

DSC_1634_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Sangtawan GH in Thoed Thai has 30 excellent chalets with friendly, local owners. The place is often filled with Govt officials staying there which is always a good sign.

Fan rooms are 400 Bht/ aircon 500 Bht. There is free wifi

10671283_10153222596078345_2155938150354638039_n.jpg

10399990_10153222610713345_5486229239272811395_n.jpg

The most northern road up to Nor Lae/ Doi Ang Khang is R 3030 that runs along the Thai/ Myanmar border. Because of the sensitivity of the border, the part of the road along the border is only open from 7am-10am & from 5pm-7pm to let workers through.

The road is in pretty nasty and broken in places, not advisable for road bikes

DSC_1645_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

nor lae checkpoint with txt.jpg
View attachment 31266

Checkpoint closure times were in force, soi back down

DSC_1650_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

DSC_1651_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

R 1150 on the way home

DSC_1653_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

DSC_1655_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

One more thing about the BMW F 800 gs, traction control. This was the first time I had ridden off-road with a motorcycle with traction control, its a huge problem and should be turned off in the dirt. What happens is as the back wheel skips and jumps, the traction control starts turning the power off and a very unpredictable balance starts as you no longer have control of the bike, highly dangerous. It can be turned off using the same switch on the left hand bar with a different sequence, will have to figure out how to do this.

Absolutely agree on the seat Phil. Although I prefer that stock seat when standing offroad, for the narrowness. I tried a bunch of other seats before settling on the Bmw comfort seat. It's wider at the arse. Still has the same problem on the scrotum though.
If I understand you correctly on the throttle..... You mean you want more gas for less rotation? Lots of 800gs riders complain that the throttle is too snatchy, especially off-road. I used to feel that way too, but have gotten used to it. But it sounds like you have the opposite complaint ?? Google "f800gs snatchy throttle fix" there are a few solutions, the most popular being the temperature sensor one, although I didn't like the idea myself. In any case, I'm not sure this is what you want, from what you described.

Really nice pics Phil and it seems nothing that can't be sorted out with the bike.

Great info Laser. It was on road when wanting to crank the throttle open, felt like you had to break your wrist to open it up. Offroad didnt notice the snatchiness of the throttle, I wonder if some riders wernt aware of what the traction control was doing off road and simulating a snatchy throttle?

Absolutely agree on the seat Phil. Although I prefer that stock seat when standing offroad, for the narrowness. I tried a bunch of other seats before settling on the Bmw comfort seat. It's wider at the arse. Still has the same problem on the scrotum though.
If I understand you correctly on the throttle..... You mean you want more gas for less rotation? Lots of 800gs riders complain that the throttle is too snatchy, especially off-road. I used to feel that way too, but have gotten used to it. But it sounds like you have the opposite complaint ?? Google "f800gs snatchy throttle fix" there are a few solutions, the most popular being the temperature sensor one, although I didn't like the idea myself. In any case, I'm not sure this is what you want, from what you described.

The older bikes like mine don't have the traction control, I found the problem to be in really rough terrain, you'd be bouncing around and accidentally giving the bike gas when you didn't mean to. Especially in first gear, because it's geared tall to start. I think they adjusted the mapping on the newer bikes also, as I rode a new one in Germany and it didn't have the same snatch as mine :-) I agree if you really want to wind it up on the road, it's a long way around to the throttle stop :-). Luke

The older bikes like mine don't have the traction control, I found the problem to be in really rough terrain, you'd be bouncing around and accidentally giving the bike gas when you didn't mean to. Especially in first gear, because it's geared tall to start. I think they adjusted the mapping on the newer bikes also, as I rode a new one in Germany and it didn't have the same snatch as mine :-) I agree if you really want to wind it up on the road, it's a long way around to the throttle stop :-). Luke

Yours is now a good test sample.... what has broken, been replaced, or a bad idea?

I tried the touratech seat.... And found it to be equally comfortable as having no seat at all.... Or making one from wood.

I tried the touratech seat.... And found it to be equally comfortable as having no seat at all.... Or making one from wood.

I take it the 'Comfort seat' doesn't quite live up to it's name then. Maybe I'll have to look for scrotum support from somewhere else then!

Here's a summary Phil.
For things replaced, mostly just consumables, chain & sprockets, pads, etc. This bike is known to chomp fork seals off-road, and mine failed. I carried spares. Maybe neoprene boots on the forks might have helped. Likewise for wheel bearings, they are known to fail. I know another guy who has replaced them 3 times. Maybe he puts his wheel in the sand when changing tyres :-)
Stuff that broke:
The stock chain guard: is useless. Off road it bounces around until the rear mount snaps off. I had to then cut the whole guard short. I'll buy the touratech aluminum one as soon as I can.

The fan: the front wheel flicks grit up into the fan, and stops it turning. This has happened to me three times. It's easy to fix by pulling it apart and cleaning, but I have not found a permanent solution to this yet.

The rims are soft, so if you ride off-road in rocks with low pressure, you get dents in the front rim. Lots of guys change the rim for a stronger Excel rim. I didn't and it shows.

Pannier frame snapped. Welded it back up, and been fine since. Given where the bike has been, to be expected. Mines a Holan rack though, would buy it again even with this failure.

I changed the stock headlight for a HID, glad I did. It's much brighter.

I changed the footpegs for larger ones, and the shifter for a folding one. I also changed out the stock exhaust, saving a bit of weight, and making the bike narrower with panniers.

I also changed the screen for the touratech desertio. It's awesome, but stupidly expensive.

Bash plate. You've seen the stock one.... It needs something more substantial. I used an Altrider, it's been solid. Taken allot of big hits.

Other stuff added.... Barkbusters, crash bars, extra led headlights, scottoiler, MOD rear rack, headlight guard, large sidestand foot, I'd do all this stuff again.

Tyres.... Well, you already know about that! The stock ones are crap. Let me know if you need details on what I used.

I take it the 'Comfort seat' doesn't quite live up to it's name then. Maybe I'll have to look for scrotum support from somewhere else then!
Arse and ball support is a very personal thing :-). I guess some people like it, it just didn't work for me!

Arse and ball support is a very personal thing :-). I guess some people like it, it just didn't work for me!

I've been using an Airhawk 2 seat cushion, which I picked up in the UK in the summer. It's made longer trips on my reshaped CRF seat bearable. The bra strap like connectors are not great and do need adjusting occasionally but it's a useful product in my view. I wouldn't want to pay double for the original Airhawk though, which Panda Rider sell for 9,000 THB.

I should add, this is after 60,000km.

Also, other things I did I recall now. I added added mudsling, keeping the rear shock clean. IMHO this is such a necessity, without it the shock gets covered in crap, dirt getting up into it. I originally bought a no-name copy one, from Haier...(i think) after 2 weeks, I checked it was tight, and noticed it was rubbing through the swingarm! Not good. Binned it and forked out for the real one from Mudsling.
Also, added TT bar risers and replaced the stock bolts with quick adjust handles to the bar clamps, so can rotate the bars up for standing. These are another essential for me.

Will get some of this done, thanks for the 60,000 Km report

Here's a summary Phil.
For things replaced, mostly just consumables, chain & sprockets, pads, etc. This bike is known to chomp fork seals off-road, and mine failed. I carried spares. Maybe neoprene boots on the forks might have helped. Likewise for wheel bearings, they are known to fail. I know another guy who has replaced them 3 times. Maybe he puts his wheel in the sand when changing tyres :-)
Stuff that broke:
The stock chain guard: is useless. Off road it bounces around until the rear mount snaps off. I had to then cut the whole guard short. I'll buy the touratech aluminum one as soon as I can.

The fan: the front wheel flicks grit up into the fan, and stops it turning. This has happened to me three times. It's easy to fix by pulling it apart and cleaning, but I have not found a permanent solution to this yet.

The rims are soft, so if you ride off-road in rocks with low pressure, you get dents in the front rim. Lots of guys change the rim for a stronger Excel rim. I didn't and it shows.

Pannier frame snapped. Welded it back up, and been fine since. Given where the bike has been, to be expected. Mines a Holan rack though, would buy it again even with this failure.

I changed the stock headlight for a HID, glad I did. It's much brighter.

I changed the footpegs for larger ones, and the shifter for a folding one. I also changed out the stock exhaust, saving a bit of weight, and making the bike narrower with panniers.

I also changed the screen for the touratech desertio. It's awesome, but stupidly expensive.

Bash plate. You've seen the stock one.... It needs something more substantial. I used an Altrider, it's been solid. Taken allot of big hits.

Other stuff added.... Barkbusters, crash bars, extra led headlights, scottoiler, MOD rear rack, headlight guard, large sidestand foot, I'd do all this stuff again.

Tyres.... Well, you already know about that! The stock ones are crap. Let me know if you need details on what I used.

image.jpg

Hello ... for those who are interested to change the seat.
This is the Touratech version. Actually it is really high,
but it is quite comfortable and fits well.

Robert

View attachment 31293

Hello ... for those who are interested to change the seat.
This is the Touratech version. Actually it is really high,
but it is quite comfortable and fits well.

Robert

Is that the 'high' version? I've seen they do a low, medium and high. For the lowered Thai bike, if I went for a Touratechy seat it's probably the one I'd choose after sitting on the bike in the showroom.

This is the High version. I am 1.85 m and it is ok. If somebody is shorter than 1.80 m probably the medium size is the better choice. If you are in Chiang Mai you try to sit on mine.

I'm thinking of putting my lowered seat and suspension on eBay or a forum like adv straight away brand new. Would hope to be able to swap the seat for a stock one easily at least. I'm going to have some suspension ready to fit when I get home.

I'm thinking of putting my lowered seat and suspension on eBay or a forum like adv straight away brand new. Would hope to be able to swap the seat for a stock one easily at least. I'm going to have some suspension ready to fit when I get home.

There's been some discussion here over the weekend about seats. For those who are dissatisfied with the stock low seat, there are aftermarket standard and high seat to compensate; that's a relatively easy fix. The stock lowered suspension is more troublesome for me.

Excuse my mechanical ineptness but lowered suspension means less ground clearance, yes? What else does it affect? Either positively or negatively? Is it a major/expensive job to 'have some suspension' to bring it back to normal height?

Thanks.

Recall on Thai assembled BMW F 800 gs seat lock chamber

Check your seat lock very carefully.

Put the key in the seat lock, turn the key very slightly, then pull the key towards you. There's a fault with the design of the way the key seat lock chamber is fastened to the bike, give it a good check before it comes out in an awkward place as it will probably do.

There is a BMW recall on this, they only told me about the recall when it had failed which i find a bit paradoxical.

recall lock.jpg

Should be an easy fix. Hope it's the only thing!

Craig, re suspension. I doubt the lowered suspension is a big deal for most people. I'm over 6 feet so would like it taller. Many people who buy them overseas are looking to lower the suspension. It all depends on how tall you are. I don't think the lowered suspension hinders the bike in any way. To change the height you need to replace the rear shock and fork springs. I'm looking at some Ohlins which will be about 25000 baht. Available in Bkk. The standard suspension like all bikes isn't that great stock so hoping this will be a worthwhile upgrade.

Craig, re suspension. I doubt the lowered suspension is a big deal for most people. I'm over 6 feet so would like it taller. Many people who buy them overseas are looking to lower the suspension. It all depends on how tall you are. I don't think the lowered suspension hinders the bike in any way. To change the height you need to replace the rear shock and fork springs. I'm looking at some Ohlins which will be about 25000 baht. Available in Bkk. The standard suspension like all bikes isn't that great stock so hoping this will be a worthwhile upgrade.

Thanks, I'm just over 6' so it probably isn't a big deal like you say. The only thing I noticed when I sat on the bike in the showroom is that I could easily flat foot in the low stock seat.

I'm 6'1" and easily flat foot. I'm hoping getting the suspension to stock will make it just right for me.l and leave the seat as is (considering the touratech seat is about the same price as Ohlins suspension.....) But now Phil reckons this low seat is a ball crusher......Maybe one of the local seat gurus can work some magic onto it. (Or some extra foam at least)

Back
Top Bottom