Garmin BaseCamp for PC

Happened to me.

I put a Garmin map on a SD card into my PC and because the Mapsource was corrupted,or something or other,the map was rendered useless/disappeared.

Well, you are not alone as one of the Garmin dealers here in Chiangmai updated Basecamp yesterday on his own computer and he mailed me: Still have the esri v.11, but v.12 is gone.

Garmin still has it on the download page without a warning while their Garmin Forum indicates that there is a problem: There is an issue with the 4.0.2 installer. Please do not update at this time!

I've never been able to get it to update from 3.3.1 to 3.3.2.0

It hangs every time I tell it to install the update.

My computer just downloaded Basecamp 4.0.2 and asked if I want to install it now, so I pressed the later button

Where do I find the download and stop it from installing itself?

Utilities/options/software update.
Just uncheck the two boxes. That's all I've done & it hasn't updated.

My computer just downloaded Basecamp 4.0.2 and asked if I want to install it now, so I pressed the later button

Where do I find the download and stop it from installing itself?

The downloaded map should be in the folder "Downloads" on your computer unless you have set it to store downloaded files into another folder. Will check with Garmin if the file has been updated.

cant see the file in downloads.I have garmin communicator which may or may not be a good thing

OK, Garmin has announced that they solved the problem and it is now safe to upgrade Basecamp to Version 4.0.2

I have a dual-language (Thai and English) Thailand Street Map map installed on my Garmin Montana. The GPSr is set to English and the map correctly displays in English, however in BaseCamp all the names on the map are in Thai (my computer's and BaseCamp's interface language is set to English). Any ideas on how to make it English?

Hmm, this is from another forum where someone had the same problem. The user contacted ESRI/Nostra and got this answer: There is one limitation for the dual map units, Garmin BaseCamp will only display the map in Thai

In case you need an English only version of the map just send me a P.M. and I might be able to help.

Garmin make the worlds shitiest software..

Great hardware crippled by such god awful companion software.

Right... It's getting better, though, but always quite buggy.
I've posted this in the Garmin forums and a Garmin employee replied that this is a bug that will be fixed in the future versions.
But for now I'd like to make this map English-only...

JaVaWa Manager

As everyone who use Basecamp with a Garmin device connected will know, it is not so straight forward as it could have been.

Custom maps installed and working on the device do not show up on Basecamp and so on.

JaVaWa Manager will fix all of those problems. It will read all IMG and KML/Z custom maps on your device and/or SD card. It will show which maps that is not visible on Basecamp and with a single click you can make them visible in Basecamp.
Now I can see all my 12 maps in Basecamp.
JaVaWa GPS-tools | Voorpagina

So something good came out of my immobility :smashpc:

Yes, agree with Oddvar. BaseCamp is very finicky and although a map shows up in Mapsource or on the GPS, it will not always show in BaseCamp. Somehow BaseCamp does not like long names (must be 8 characters) for some of the files which constitute the map as otherwise the map will not show while the ID's of the map and .typ file need to be the same.

JaVaWa GMTK - JaVaWa GPS-tools | JaVaWa GMTK will analyse the maps on your computer, memory sticks, etc. and it can repair most of the common problems with maps. Highly recommended to use this program first when a map does not want to show up in BaseCamp eventhough it works well in the GPS

The main language of the programs is Dutch - JaVaWa GPS-tools | Voorpagina Some of the pages have been translated into English - JaVaWa GPS-tools | Introduction and a few have been translated in French - JaVaWa GPS-tools | JaVaWa GMTK

OK I want to say Thanks.. That javawa tool is absolutely essential if using multiple mapsets with basecamp..

Turns a horrid awful piece of software thats pretty much unseable.. In to merely a poor piece of software.

Previously basecamp would only see my maps.. On the garmin device, while in USB mode.. But then cannot write to the device, until its connected in garmin mode and cannot 'import' the maps.. So your constantly rebooting the garmin, changing it from USB to garmin mode, losing your map, or unable to send it the data.. I have no idea who thougth this was a viable workflow but this is what the public stocks were invented for.

One issue I had with the app was that, due to not reading any manuals, I put the maps onto a thumb and told the app to make them visible.. They were not.. They needed to be 'exported to' the thumb which just put them in a garmin subfolder like they would be on the device.. Simple but I didnt see any obvious instruction that this was what needed to be done.

Now I can keep all my maps sets on a USB stick, and switch between them with basecamp, while also keeping my GPS in garmin comms mode, and send waypoints and tracks to it.. Thats almost user friendly.

Back
Top Bottom