Garmin 60csx Repair

alexuk

I sent my 60csx back to garmin for repair on 31 January by EMS to Taiwan as it had some problems again.
Switching itself off, resetting and not recording tracks.
EMS cost about 500bt
They repaired it almost 2 years ago, actually they just put a new one in the post for me, same as they did this time.
Seeems like Chinese new year was about 10 feb, garmin say they had 9 days off for new year.
So I got an email from them on 20 Feb to say the gps was to be sent that day, and got it yesterday, 22nd feb.
I had to pay DHL 566baht, 352bt duty and 200bt DHL handling fee.
This was on top of the standard $110 repair fee and$35 shipping that Garmin Asia charge.

Looks like they would have received it by 3rd feb, and decided to keep it hanging around a week before they went for their 9 days new year.

In total, about $175 and over 3 weeks to get it back

Thats what I will do when mine gives up the ghost Alex, $175 for a new one sounds okay

My 60csx doesnt seem to recoerd tracks sometimes
Do you think Garmin will honour their "fixed repair fee" and fix this?
60csx.jpg
Also Went into a ditch yesterday.

Guess they will - it is a fixed repair fee so in principle it does not matter what is broken (to a certain extent I guess as they may not be happy in case the whole GPS would have been flattened in case a truck would drive over it). You can send them an email with the same picture and ask them the same question.

I sent my 60csx back to garmin for repair on 31 January by EMS to Taiwan as it had some problems again.
Switching itself off, resetting and not recording tracks.
EMS cost about 500bt
They repaired it almost 2 years ago, actually they just put a new one in the post for me, same as they did this time.
Seeems like Chinese new year was about 10 feb, garmin say they had 9 days off for new year.
So I got an email from them on 20 Feb to say the gps was to be sent that day, and got it yesterday, 22nd feb.
I had to pay DHL 566baht, 352bt duty and 200bt DHL handling fee.
This was on top of the standard $110 repair fee and$35 shipping that Garmin Asia charge.

Looks like they would have received it by 3rd feb, and decided to keep it hanging around a week before they went for their 9 days new year.

In total, about $175 and over 3 weeks to get it back

Alex just wondering should you have paid duty, the unit was in effect used, very used !!

Yeah enough said, bloody robbers even Dick Turpin wore a mask :LOL

So I got the new 60csx back in time for a week trip offroad. Brand new
When I got back I could only find the tracks from the last one and a half days.
Same happened when I went to Kanchanaburi/umphang
I'm sure I set it all up properly, I've been using these for 5 years.

Only thing I can think of is that sometimes the power cable came loose (cigar lighter socket) so switched itself off a few times before I noticed, but never for more than 15 minutes. Then I set it to stay on when not on mains power

Any ideas?
Cant go on like this

You havent changed the setting to put the tracks into the internal memory not the data card ??

I seem to remember when the memory is full it overwrites the oldest track, at a wild guess maybe its not seeing the card or something and using a small memory allocation.

It seems like its not writing to the card, even though I set it up correctly

Just a few things to check.

Have you ticked "Track Log On" in Tracks on the Main menu

Have you ticked "Wrap when Full" in Setup in Tracks in Main Menu

Have you ticked "Log Track to Data Card: in Data Card Setup in Setup in Tracks in Main Manu

Check also in Main Menu - Setup - Map - "Map Setup-Track" if the Track Log has been set up to Auto and not to Off

Last but not least is your SD card put in correctly - sometimes it moves just a tiny bit and this may make writing to the SD card impossible

log2card.jpg
mainmenu.jpg
track log.jpg
wrap.jpg

I'm going to have to go with sd card not inserted correctly...

But I would like to be able to transfer the map to a new card

Is there a garmin repair center here.. My battery clip broke and will only run on external power.

Simple fix, tiny bit of metal..

Try eagle gps in pantip plaza,or a phone shop,but official garmin repairs are in taiwan and cost almost $200

Feck...

Will see what I can hustle online for parts then..

- - - Updated - - -

Hang on.. The broken one above.. Did you bin it ??

Yesterday it froze up.
It kept recording the track, but none of the buttons worked, and it wouldnt switch off
Now I have to get it working again.
I only got it back new from Garmin last week

OK, it's working again!!!
I just tried again, seems ok now. Maybe it just got wet somehow.
I'll spray it with silicone and seal it better
Took it 4 days to dry out

No its not, the satellite page showed, got a fix, but none of the buttons worked, and it hasnt started since, so I'm sending it back to Garmin

Have you tried a "Hard Reset"? This may help to solve your problem. Many people who had problems with their GPS have done a Hard Reset and after doing that their problems were solved. It will erase all your data in the GPS so do a back up first.

To perform a master reset:

1. Ensure the device is powered off
  2. Press and hold Page and Enter
  3. Power on the device while continuing to hold Page and Enter
  4. Release on the buttons once the Do you really want to erase all user data? message appears
  5. Select Yes

If after the Hard Reset the buttons still do not work, you can test each button to see which one is not working: Hold the ENTER key while powering up with POWER. Hold both until the test screen appears. That screen lets you test each button. Press each key, one at a time, to see if it's recognized. If your key isn't recognized here, it probably needs a field trip to the Garmin service center.

BTW, It was mentioned earlier the only option was to send the unit outside of the country for a fixed price repair ??

I contacted ESRI who told me they do a repair service and I could post it to them (without an RMA and seemed a bit uncontrolled) or drop it into eagle GPS and I would get a price quote for repair. I dont have it back yet but took it to eagle who were happy to help and seemed familiar with the process. We will see.

So Garmin got my GPS now, but claim its my fault and want their regular fees.
But I know its not my fault. I think there was a fault with the sealing.

LivinLOS, what happened with yours?

Good point.. I had half forgotten..

will chase them.

I think they are being arseholes.. "may" result ?? Surely the burden of proof is on them no ?? "Maybe" it wasnt..

Also are these not supposed to be water resistant (not proof but splashproof) ??

Would be one thing if it was a random repair, but a week or two after a previous repair ??

Thats basically how I replied to them, now they say they only want to charge $34 fro post

I think they are supposed to be waterproof to one metre.
Though I took mine swimming once and it packed up straightaway

Update from ESRI..

They have had it about 2 weeks.. I call.. No one knows squat.. Passed from person to person.. Put on hold for ages.. Then hold picks up "oh your still there" yes !! Etc..

They do then call me back.. Take serial.. Which I tried to give them the first time.. They go away again..

They then call back.. OK this model we cannot repair.. So then why did you tell me, when I clearly informed you the model type 2 weeks ago, that you could !!!

Can post to Taiwan, cost 55xx THB may take 2 months.. I can get another one on ebay for less than that sent immediately and have a spare.. Instead I went online, found the broken clip I need, ordered it myself. Try that process first. Only out a few bucks if it fails.

They were at least polite.. but total clusterfuck fail.

So a message on my phone today from DHL, they want a copy of my passport emailed to them.
They havent tried to deliver the GPS
I havent been asked for this before.
I think I ought to make sure it is all above board, and that they dont try overcharging me again.

Has anyone been asked for a passport copy before a delivery??

So I tried to email them but it got returned.
and I tried to message back on the fone but that wasnt delivered

Oh Alex if it wasn't for bad luck you'd have no luck at all 😄

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

so where did u get to bob?
its pissing down here, and I was really looking forward to some good hot food in town

My gps to esri was most odd..

I call and ask if they can repair a 60csx.. They say yes just send it.. I didn't like posting without an rma to a company that seemed a bit disorganized so dropped it at eagle..

2 weeks go by.. I call esri.. Took many many phone calls to be told they can't fix a 60csx, no parts.. They can send to Taiwan maybe a couple of months and a big bill.. No just return the gps..

I go on eBay.. Have a super tough buying experience for the bit I need from some Russian who seems to part out gps's.. Buy the bit I need..

Then I go to eagle to pick up my unrepaired gps.. I open the battery back and it's fixed.. I ask them and they look a bit shy and say no it's the motherboard, we checked it and it doesn't turn on.. Hold on, when I brought it in, it worked fine on external power.. I am thinking have they swapped out bits or something nasty.. So I ask if they have a power cable, you can tell they do, but she really doesn't want to say so.. So then I point to the USB cable on the desk and we try that.. Powers on.. So we test with battery's, which they say they tried and it didn't power on.. And it's fine..

So esri, said they couldn't fix it.. Said they couldn't get the parts.. But have changed the broken part, and it's fixed..

Won't complain but most confusing..

Alex, don't send a copy of you passport to them, that's just asking for trouble.
There's no reason whatsoever for them, to need that.

Pounce, I asked them why, they answered,
Re shipment 221638xx from Taiwan

Why do you want a copy of my passport?

Because your shipment had random inspect by thai custom.

Do you usually request recipients passport copy?
No, we will request only people,who had random inspect shipment with them only.

Are you aware that this is a warranty repair item?
We do every shipment with carefully. If something damage or broken DHL will be responsability all.

Why has it not been delivered?
Because we have to clear your shipment from custom first. And we have to use your copy passport for this process please.

Please deliver ASAP

I sent a copy.
Now I got this.
Dear Sir
Please kindly give us more detail. Your shipment is GPS right?
If it's GPS , you must to provide on import licence also. But we can help you to find licence.
Could you give us for the name of GPS and model code please.
We will try to find it for you. But if we not found it, you have ask the licence from NBTC by yourself please.

Regards,

Wiphawan Srisod
Clearance Support Agent - Customs Clearance

DHL Express ( Thailand) Ltd.

So like you said pounce, trouble
I'll try to get garmin to handle this

Alex

I would have thought if you email them (DHL) all the warranty return information this should fix the problem. You ARE NOT importing anything, it is a warranty return, you have proof of this, I would be shocked if that does not put an end to the problem.

Pounce, I asked them why, they answered,
Re shipment 221638xx from Taiwan

Why do you want a copy of my passport?

Because your shipment had random inspect by thai custom.

Do you usually request recipients passport copy?
No, we will request only people,who had random inspect shipment with them only.

Are you aware that this is a warranty repair item?
We do every shipment with carefully. If something damage or broken DHL will be responsability all.

Why has it not been delivered?
Because we have to clear your shipment from custom first. And we have to use your copy passport for this process please.

Please deliver ASAP

I sent a copy.
Now I got this.
Dear Sir
Please kindly give us more detail. Your shipment is GPS right?
If it's GPS , you must to provide on import licence also. But we can help you to find licence.
Could you give us for the name of GPS and model code please.
We will try to find it for you. But if we not found it, you have ask the licence from NBTC by yourself please.

Regards,

Wiphawan Srisod
Clearance Support Agent - Customs Clearance

DHL Express ( Thailand) Ltd.

So like you said pounce, trouble
I'll try to get garmin to handle this

I have been asked for passport from dhl before..

Didn't worry me, just did it..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

We have even had shipping companies here in Aus try to get a copy of the bosses passport for parts we're importing.
They do not ever need a copy of it. Period. Told them to sod off & we still got the goods.
DHL are basically a freight forwarding company come postal service who have no authority or need to see it.
Sighting ID to hand over goods, yeah but not a copy of your passport.

DHL came round today with my GPS. -12days after it entered thailand
They wanted 1400baht.
750bt customs/import duty, and the rest their fees

I questioned their fees, and spoke to them on the phone, but they were no help.
I didnt want them to take the GPS away, and after half an hour or more, the DHL driver left,without the GPS

Back
Top Bottom