Capss in Thailand & Laos

Day 15

Up and out early this morning so I could get to the border sooner rather than later the ride from Thung Chang to to the Thailand/Laos border crossing certainly woke me up, it was really cold and covered in mist in the hills, route 101 which took me straight in to the crossing was a nice road with lots of ups and downs with the usual bends and twists.

Day 15 Thung Chang to Sayaboury, Laos by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Day 15 Thung Chang to Sayaboury, Laos1 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Once I got to the border it was already very busy, there was a market there also and a lots of people buying and selling goods.

IMG_1028 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1029 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1030 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
The Customs Building Thailand

I went straight to the departures window at the passport control and gave then my passport, arrivals card and the copies of the paperwork given to me by the rental people. In return he gave me some paperwork to fill out which was something to do with me being allowed back in with me taking one of there bikes out of the country. One of the guys behind the desk was f\very helpful and came outside to fill it in for me (sorted). Once that was done they stamped me out of the country and then sent me to customs with the other half of the paperwork I had with me. Again they were very helpful in the office and there was no messing about. I was given my customs paperwork, he pointed out that I have to be back in Thailand no later than the 25 Jan 15 or face a fine, and then told have a good trip.
So armed with my passport, Information of Conveyance letter from Immigration and my Customs form I went down the hill to leave Thailand.
No problems, I was waved through once they had seen all my paperwork.
Got to the Laos Border, the guy there looked at all my paperwork and pointed out that they had put the 26 Dec on the Information of Conveyance letter and the correct date in my passport, the 27th
So I was sent back to the Thai border to get it sorted.
Back at the Laos Border post, I was this time let through.
Went to the arrivals office where I had to get a visa on arrival, so after filling in an arrivals card and paying $35 I was given my Laos Visa for 30 days. Next up was customs, Gave them my passport and the Customs paperwork and Information of Conveyance letter from Thailand and in a few minutes I was given a green TIPV and parted with 200 Bht.

IMG_1032 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Laos Customs in the wooden hut

IMG_1033 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
The Visa Office, Laos

That was it all done, off I went to the last Laos Border control point where they checked my paperwork and I was them allowed through. I left a parting gesture of a unopened packet of Oreo biscuits which he was quite happy with

Whoops, they drive on the other side of the road to Thailand.

IMG_1035 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
The first photo inside Laos

First stop was to find somewhere for breakfast and sort out where I was going to end up this evening. Found a nice little place on the right just down the road, had some good food and sorted myself out for the ride to Sayaboury along the 4A

IMG_1036 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1037 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Breakfast

The 4A was quite a good ride, it stared off quite a big, wide road then as it progressed just after the big Power Station it went on to a narrow road all the way to Sayaboury. It was very enjoyable with some stunning scenery.
They do however like putting the stone chippings on the corners as I found out, it gave me a bit of a ar*e twitch the first time I came found the bend on to it. I was quite regular and you just got used to it. The villages I passed through high in the hills were great, kids and adults waving as you went through.

IMG_1038 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Early 4A

IMG_1039 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1043 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1044 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Later on the 4A

IMG_1045 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1046 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1047 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1048 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1051 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Got to Sayaboury at about 1430hrs, went to the bank to change some money, sat and had a cold beer with some spicy squid and rice while try to find some place to sleep.
I went for a ride round and after trying a couple of places I eventually picked the Makee Guest House N 19.16078 E101.42769, the bike is parked round the side of the building out of the way.

IMG_1053 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1056 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1052 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Caps

"I went into Thoeng to visit a guy from the Netherlands who lives in the area, I have been in touch with him from the Rideasia site, I had some very nice coffee and some Christmas bread and his hospitality was great, Thank you Brake034."

It was a pleasure meeting with you Capps, nice to hear about your travel experiences and plans.
Hope you won't need the blue bag, have fun and be safe in Laos!

Wayne - you made no mention of buying Lao insurance when you crossed the border. If you did not, it might be a good idea to do so.

Wayne - you made no mention of buying Lao insurance when you crossed the border. If you did not, it might be a good idea to do so.

Bob

Good point haha, no I didn't get any, in Luang Prabang do you know of anywhere?

Thanks

Wayne

Bob

Thanks

Wayne

Just look around for signs displaying the LVI sign and your sorted

Sent from my SM-G900F using Forum Runner

Day 16

Had a nice and relaxed day today, I travelled from Sayaboury to Luang Prabang after spending a couple of hours trying to get to the Elephant Conservation outside Sayaboury. I could not find a track to get there, the only place I could find was a boat to take me across the lake but I was not willing to leave the bike overnight. So off I went to Luang Prabang.

Day 16 Sayaboury to Luang Prabang by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Day 16 Sayaboury to Luang Prabang1 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

I was a good ride and I took a leisurely pace stopping at quite a few villages on the way for a drink and a relax. Of course the breakfast stop was done, had a very good noodle soup with some rice and a plate of salad, tasty indeed.

IMG_1078 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

The route I took was straight up the 4 and I crossed the newish bridge over the Mekong River, then I went back across to try and find the ferry, I went down to the waters edge where you could see vehicles had driven and waited, hoping that one of the boats would come across from the otherside, after waiting for about 20mins I gave up and continued on my journey.
The road got a bit pole holed in places and there was even places where the road was completely gone. but it kept it interesting.

IMG_1061 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1064 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1066 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1068 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1070 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1071 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1073 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1075 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1076 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1077 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1079 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1081 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Finally got to Luang Prabang and found the town centre, once there I had a bacon sarnie and a Oreo and banana milkshake whilst trying to get some accommodation. That was to prove a task in its self, i looked the HUBB and Rideasia sites and found some to go see, but everywhere was full, I took me over an hour to find a place, eventually I managed to get myself in to the Seng Phet Guesthouse N 19.53340 E102.07946, a nice clean place with aircon, tv, hot water and a nice outside sitting area so you can watch the world go past. The bike was parked outside on the road till the evening then I was bought in to the sitting aerator the night and the gates are closed. There is also someone on all night.

IMG_1083 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1086 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1087 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1088 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Staying local till after New Years Eve now

Caps

Bob

Thanks

Wayne

There are quite a few places where you can buy insurance but last year I bought insurance at the AGL Insurance (Sombath Souliyong) at N19.88536 E102.13680 at the junction of the Sethathirat/Ouparath Rd with the Visounalath/Pha Mahapasaman Rd. You can buy insurance just for the time you will be in Laos and will cost only a few hundred Baht.

Don't know what your plans are but I will be in Thakheak on the 2nd of January and from there will be riding (in my truck) to the Vietnam border for a week cruising along the Ho Chi Minh trail before heading back to Chiangmai. My Lao phone number is 020-5599 0759 and it would be nice to meet up for a few cold ones and a bite to eat.

Capture.jpg

There are quite a few places where you can buy insurance but last year I bought insurance at the AGL Insurance (Sombath Souliyong) at N19.88536 E102.13680 at the junction of the Sethathirat/Ouparath Rd with the Visounalath/Pha Mahapasaman Rd. You can buy insurance just for the time you will be in Laos and will cost only a few hundred Baht.

Don't know what your plans are but I will be in Thakheak on the 2nd of January and from there will be riding (in my truck) to the Vietnam border for a week cruising along the Ho Chi Minh trail before heading back to Chiangmai. My Lao phone number is 020-5599 0759 and it would be nice to meet up for a few cold ones and a bite to eat.

View attachment 34039

Thanks for the info on the insurance. I am going to get some today.
It would have been good to have a few cold ones but I will not be leaving Lauang Prabang till the morning of the first and going to Veng Vieng then to Vientiane, but thanks a lot for the offer and have a great trip

Caps

Great info, and as I see you are using OSM, would you mind if I added the Guest Houses (and other POI) to the map, so as it makes it easier for others to find ?
On that note, can you check the co-ordinates for the Sengphet Guesthouse - they dont seem right !
Cheers, Russ.

Day 17

Relaxed day in Lauang Prabang

Visited Wat Mai Suwannaphumaham which had some old temple pieces and a newer temple. It also looked like it was a Monk school as there were some classrooms there.

IMG_1095 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1096 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1097 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1098 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1100 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1103 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1105 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1106 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1107 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1108 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

From there I went on to visit Wat Pathouak which is set just below Phou Si Mountain. In the temple the walls are covered in a mural which is said to date to back to 1860

IMG_1115 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1118 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

I there I climbed Phou Si Mountain and visited That Chomsi and got some great views of the surrounding countryside and Luang Prabang. There was also an anti-aircraft gun from the Vietnam War perched on the hill

IMG_1124 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1128 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1129 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1130 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1133 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1137 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1142 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1139 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1138 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

I can recommend the Lemon Grass Tea, very good indeed

IMG_1114 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Another Temple on the main road in town centre

Caps

Great info, and as I see you are using OSM, would you mind if I added the Guest Houses (and other POI) to the map, so as it makes it easier for others to find ?On that note, can you check the co-ordinates for the Sengphet Guesthouse - they dont seem right !Cheers, Russ.

Russ

No problems at all, I have just double checked the Montana and it gave me N 19.53336 E102.07947, I was stood in the road looking at the Guesthouse, its on the Pakam Rd nearly where it joins Souvannalath Rd (the Chao Fa Ngum Road on OSM)
It look ok on the map, maybe set back a bit more

Screen Shot 2014-12-29 at 15.16.38.jpg

Caps

Great info, and as I see you are using OSM, would you mind if I added the Guest Houses (and other POI) to the map, so as it makes it easier for others to find ?
On that note, can you check the co-ordinates for the Sengphet Guesthouse - they dont seem right !
Cheers, Russ.

Yes, the coordinates given are actually in DD MM.MMMM and N 19.53340 E102.07946 should be read as N 19 53.340 and E102 07.946 or when converted into DD.DDDDD they are N19.88903 E102.13249.

Yes, the coordinates given are actually in DD MM.MMMM and N 19.53340 E102.07946 should be read as N 19 53.340 and E102 07.946 or when converted into DD.DDDDD they are N19.88903 E102.13249.

Lone Rider

What is the best setting to have the Montana on then?

Thanks
Caps

Does not matter very much as it is relatively easy to convert the formats. However, the way you put the coordinates in the trip report, most people assume that it is in Decimal degree format or as DDD.DDDDD. Not sure how to set it in the Montana but most probably it is in Set Up/ Units or in Set Up/ Position Format where you can set it as hddd.ddddd (decimal degrees), hddd mm.mmm (degrees, decimal minutes or the same as you have it now set in your Montana) or as hddd mm ss.s (degrees, minutes, decimal seconds

Hi, lots of good stuff there. I was thinking of posting some pics but not sure I'll bother after seeing yours.
Interesting idea of slinging panniers over tank, sitting on the straps of mine give me a sore a**.

Hi, lots of good stuff there. I was thinking of posting some pics but not sure I'll bother after seeing yours.
Interesting idea of slinging panniers over tank, sitting on the straps of mine give me a sore a**.

They are designed to go over the tank, got them from Advspec.com and they ship internationally, wolf man is the make

Caps

- - - Updated - - -

Does not matter very much as it is relatively easy to convert the formats. However, the way you put the coordinates in the trip report, most people assume that it is in Decimal degree format or as DDD.DDDDD. Not sure how to set it in the Montana but most probably it is in Set Up/ Units or in Set Up/ Position Format where you can set it as hddd.ddddd (decimal degrees), hddd mm.mmm (degrees, decimal minutes or the same as you have it now set in your Montana) or as hddd mm ss.s (degrees, minutes, decimal seconds

Thanks for the advice, sorted it now

Caps

Fascinating city.
Fascinating Wat Mai Suwannaphumaham.
Wonderful wall murals.
Great pics!

Day 18

Day 18 Kuang Si Waterfall and Trailing in Luang Prabang by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Day 18 Kuang Si Waterfall and Trailing in Luang Prabang1 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Visited Kuang Si Waterfall, they are well worth a visit, cost 2000 Kip to park the bike which was watched by the guy who took the money and it cost 20,000 to visit the falls, worth the money, there is also a bear sanctuary which was good also, there bears were out and about and playing when I was there. Just before the falls there is a Butterfly farm but I did not visit it.

IMG_1146 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1151 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1152 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1153 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1163 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1167 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1171 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1177 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1182 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1191 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1193 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Then went off road, met a guy from Denmark, forget his name, and we rode a great track, the track started off quite wide and then went into a really narrow close in track, this we followed for a lot of kilometres before coming out in Muang Nan and went our separate ways after a well earned rest and drink in the village. It made a really nice change to ride with someone rather than doing it on your own.

IMG_1195 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1201 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1202 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1205 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1207 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1208 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1210 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1212 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1214 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Caps

Great to see some pictures from the offroad section from the Kuang Si falls to Mueang Nan. Must have been a great ride with nice views over the country side.

Great to see some pictures from the offroad section from the Kuang Si falls to Mueang Nan. Must have been a great ride with nice views over the country side.

It was a fantastic ride and great to get of the tarmac for awhile

Caps

- - - Updated - - -

The coord format used could be hddd mm.mmm (degrees, decimal minutes) or hddd.ddddd (decimal degrees), I have now changed both the Garmin and Basecamp to hddd.ddddd for future posts as it seems to be the more popular
Sorry if there has been any confusion

Caps

Love that waterfall shot Stuart with the slow shutter speed, you caught it perfect. I use the decimal format for co-ords saves all the possible confusion arising from seconds or decimal minutes.

Love that waterfall shot Stuart with the slow shutter speed, you caught it perfect. I use the decimal format for co-ords saves all the possible confusion arising from seconds or decimal minutes.

Thanks Phil, the iphone 4s did the job, yeah I had the Montana set on the hddd.mm.mmm and the Basecamp set on hddd.ddddd, but all sorted now, you live and learn haha

Caps

Day 19/20

New Years Eve was spent with the family who owned the Guesthouse I was stopping in, it was a good night, lots of Laos food and lots of Laos beer, they made me feel really welcome as we ticked off the hours. It was a good night. There hospitality was great. There was a couple of younger lads there who spoke quite good English which was a bonus for me, and they were into their western music.

IMG_1229 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1230 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

I traveled from Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng today, I took the old road rather than the new, which was a longer route but the road was far better for bends and scenery

Day 20 Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Day 20 Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng1 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

I set off at around 0815hrs and I took the 13N, The climbs and the valleys were great and the views wearisome of the best . It was about 150 mile but I took it nice and steady with lots of breaks and the obligatory stop for some food at about 1030hrs.
I stopped in one of the hill top villages for the Noodle soup of the day which was very nice, I also had a coffee as I was a bit cold, in fact is was quite cold and my hands were starting to get a bit numb

IMG_1243 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1244 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1245 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1247 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

As I left my food stop there were a group of Malasian riders went past on there big bikes, I latched myself on to the back and was the tailend charlie for about 30Km's till they went left and I carried on right in a little place called Phoukhoun. But it was nice for awhile to have someone to follow and I was acknowledged by there rider in front more than once.
Some of the views to be had are fantastic and I am getting close to saying that they are better than the views in Thailand.
Once I got to Vang Vieng I did the usual and stopped for a drink after a drive through and looked for somewhere to stop for the night.

IMG_1232 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1235 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1237 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1237 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1250 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1251 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1255 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1257 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1260 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1261 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1273 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1275 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

I went for Dok Khoun Guesthouse which I got for 200,000kip, when I questioned his price he did say its New Year?! Ummm it finished yesterday?! Not a bad room but had better during my travels. Coords N18.92602 E102.44854.

IMG_1279 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1280 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1281 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1282 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

I think I am going to stay for and extra day and have a bit of a play about in the local area, there are a couple of caves which might be worth a visit.

Zzzzzzzz, the photos have taken about 3 hours to upload on to flickr, not the fastest, been and had food and still not done, haha

Caps

Day 21

Stayed local in Vang Vieng today and went on a bit of a ride, I took a track to the west of the town and just followed it. I eventually ran out of track at a village as I was trying to get round a big hill. so I turned back and took a fork in the road in another village and that took me on a loop. Great scenery and lots to see.

Local Vang Veing1 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1284 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1285 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1287 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1288 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1289 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1291 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1293 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1294 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1295 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1299 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

I stopped in one village where I had a drink and watched one of the village women weaving a skirt, it was good to see. They also made scarves and small blanket type things. She made it look so easy.

IMG_1305 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Sat with a beer in a restaurant whilst waiting for the photos to upload on to flickr. Its a good job I am thirsty as it may take awhile.....two and a half hours,not bad

Caps

Day 22

Set off today at about 0730hrs travelling from Vang Veing to Phonsavan and I don’t have a clue what happened as I did not end up following the route I had planned on basecamp the night before.
I ended up taking the 13N, the 9308, 9303, 5 then the 1D

Day 22 Vang Veing to Phonsavan by Wayne 66, on Flickr

No Google map, its not playing on my Mac, tried a reinstall.

What a journey it turned out to be, blocked routes, 80km detour, and 200km off road. The first 15km was on tarmac then it went onto unpaved road/track, the first 67km was covered in 2hours.
At the 60 km I came to a military style check point, uniform and what looked like a single shot rifle, I wondered where the hell I was going, lots of sign posts in what looked like Chinese or Korean
The GPS was going mad, at about the 63 km point I came across a mine type area, didn't stop for photos as there were people about.
I was well in the middle of no where, I now no what Dr Livingstone felt like, but the GPS says still on right road haha. At about 67km I came across another Military CP which again I passed with no problems.

IMG_1310 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1313 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1316 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1320 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1322 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1324 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1325 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1326 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Further on down the road I met 2 guys Fransiour and Craig they said I was riding through what was once a restricted area and was used by the CIA in the Vietnam War. It was a tough route but very enjoyable.

IMG_1326 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1332 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1334 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1338 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1337 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1339 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Then things went a bit downhill, the road I was following became impassable there was a land slide in the road so I left the bike to see if it was passable, nope, had to turn round and with that I had to make a long detour of about 80km. Managed to get fuel in a little village called Ban Nam Gnone as I had already used my reserve cache. The CRF was supping fuel like no tomorrow with going up and down all the steep inclines and decents.

IMG_1344 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1347 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1351 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1352 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1353 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

I then got what I thought was a lucky break and hit some more tarmac, yeah, for all of about 18km’s then straight back into the jungle again haha.
On route the track was blocked yet again this time there were some excavators clearing the way so me and a load of Laos people were sat waiting for them to finish, it was about 30 to 40 mins before we got going.

IMG_1356 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1353 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1357 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1360 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1363 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1364 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1365 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1367 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

I had drunk all my water in my Camelbak and was gagging for a drink so I stopped in this village in the middle of nowhere and they kindly gave me water and even let me take a pic before I move off again.

IMG_1368 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

After 200.3km I finally got onto a proper tarmac road for the last leg into Phonsavan, which I got to at about 1730hrs

Found the Nice Guesthouse, wifi, hot water, 100,000kip per night for a double room N19.45045 E103.21892

Wayne

Day 23

Visited Site 1 of the Plain of jars, coords N 19.42577 E103.15878. Very interesting to visit. They had a little museum to tell you all about the jars and a little bit about the Vietnam War in the area, they reckon over 270 million bonds dropped in Laos. There were still a lot of trenches visible when you were walking round and also plenty of bomb craters. MAG had cleared bit of the area and you are advised to walk between the markers.

IMG_1369 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1371 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1370 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1372 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1374 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1376 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1377 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1378 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1379 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1380 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1385 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1388 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1394 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1390 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1392 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1401 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

I also visited the Vietnam War Memorial and the Laos War Memorial. The Vietnam one was in a very good state of repair but the Laos one had lots of graffiti over it. I would have thought if anything it would be the other way round

IMG_1418 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1417 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1410 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1412 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1413 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1414 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
All the above is the Vietnam War Memorial

IMG_1419 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1421 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
The two above is the Laos War Memorial

Wayne

Day 24

Set off nice and early, it was about 0745 after I had filled up and filled my reserve bottles. The route was the 7N the on to the 1C all the way in to Nong Khiaw.

Day 24 Phonsavan to Nong Khiaw by Wayne 66, on Flickr

It was a good steady road all the way except for the last 80km or so. Then it was very potholed and went from paved to unpaved every now and again. There were lots of nice villages to ride through, spent a lot of time waving when going through the villages. I think thats why I prefer being on a bike, in my opinion you are more attuned to the surrounding area. I got some great video of them and the surrounding countryside, yet again lots of stunning views to be had. Early on in the route I met with a lot of wet patches where the sun had not been on them and there was loads of diesel on the patch,in some places it was quite thick due to the trucks going slow up and down the hills.
Covered 372km today, but on the plus side I only have 110 to do tomorrow to get me to Oudomxay.

IMG_1429 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1431 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1432 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1435 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1433 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1446 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1447 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1448 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1450 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1453 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1454 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

I got to Nong Khiaw at about 1715, after numerous stops to chill, get fuel and eat and after a ride through the town I opted for the CT Guesthouse and restaurant, clean room, hot water and wifi. The bike is park in the owners drive with CCTV, with disc lock applied, coords N20.57020 E102.61657

IMG_1456 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1458 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1459 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1460 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Wayne

Wayne it may not be far to Oudomxai but make sure your stuff is secure the road is a bitch.

Wayne it may not be far to Oudomxai but make sure your stuff is secure the road is a bitch.

Haha, yeah bob it is, lost one of my reserve fuel bottles, got here in one piece though, sat eating, been here about 30mins

Wayne

Day 25

Nong Khiaw to Oudomxay,

Day 25 Nong Khiaw to Oudomxay by Wayne 66, on Flickr

I set off at about 0825hrs after I had topped up my fuel. The 1C/13N started off really nice with a lot of flowing bends with decent tarmac.

IMG_1464 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1462 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
So calm and peaceful
Then!

I then got to Pakmong, as I left there I went on to a really wide great piece of road, it was great for about 6k’s then I turned bad, through lots of roads works, chewing on loads of dust when trying to get past the lorries and buses which were on the route. Really narrow points where they are trying to build the road and a lot of heavy machinery, saying that I was surprised on how much was still done by hand.

IMG_1468 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1469 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1470 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1471 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1472 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Between 50 and 60 kms there is a large rest stop area with a restaurant and a small shop, also toilets. I stopped there and had a coffee in a tin and got talking to some Westeners who were milling about in the bus stop, it turns out that the bus they were on (which I passed about a 100 meters down the road) had broken down and they had been stuck there for 5 hours. They were not happy, but I was, the sun was out and had my trusty steed. :banana:

IMG_1475 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1479 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1480 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1481 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1483 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1484 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1487 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1488 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

The road stayed pretty much very bumpy and dusty till I started to drop down the other side of the mountain towards Oudomxay then I was blessed with damp mud, it make the road like an ice skating ring and I could feel my wheels wanting to tuck from underneath me all the time I was on it. Thankfully made it down in one piece
Finally the last 10 to 12 k’s was good tarmac again all the was in to town

IMG_1489 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Lunch stop

After stopping for food and a luke warm Lao dark I had a ride through town and settled on the Dokbouadeng Guesthouse, wifi, best I have had in about 6 days, 30 photos uploads to Flickr in half hour, thats a record since I have been in Laos, hot water is very good, very hot with a decent pressure, bike parked out the front, only downside is it could do with a good lick of paint, but everything else is probably best, coords N20.68781 E101.98650

IMG_1493 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1490 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1491 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Took a walk into the town, the main road I am on is the town centre, visited the Phouthad Temple on top of a hill, not may good views of the town but the temple was ok

IMG_1509 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1506 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1505 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1504 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1503 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1499 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Also found this other guesthouse but I wouldn’t say, so they wouldn’t let me in!!?? Think about it!?

IMG_1498 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Not the kind of thing you want to be driving down the 1C/13N

IMG_1497 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
CLS 550 AMG :naughty:

Wayne

Good to see that the Chinese have finally started the re-construction of the Pak Mong to Oudomxay road. They did also a few years back the Oudomxay to Nateuy road and that is still a really good road but unfortunately again it looks like that they do not widen the road even-though the road is the main road between China and Laos all the way to the Lao-Cambodia border.

Good to see that the Chinese have finally started the re-construction of the Pak Mong to Oudomxay road. They did also a few years back the Oudomxay to Nateuy road and that is still a really good road but unfortunately again it looks like that they do not widen the road even-though the road is the main road between China and Laos all the way to the Lao-Cambodia border.

The first part of the road just as you leave Pak Mong is quite wide but it doesn't look like they are continuing the motion further down?
Don't hold your breath as to when it will be finished though, it looks like slow work in progress :lol:

Wayne

A little bit of video

Now I have got some good internet I thought I would take the opportunity to post some videos of some on the roads/tracks I have been on

https://flic.kr/p/qGPQ9p
The 1C from Phonsavan to Nong Khiaw

https://flic.kr/p/qEPczf
VV to Phonsavan on the 9303/9308

https://flic.kr/p/qqD3sT
1C/13N from Nong Khiaw to Oudomxay

Distance covered so far 3997 km

Wayne

The first part of the road just as you leave Pak Mong is quite wide but it doesn't look like they are continuing the motion further down?
Don't hold your breath as to when it will be finished though, it looks like slow work in progress :lol:

Wayne

The work started in March this year and is expected to take 3 years to finish. The project is funded by China and is built by a Chinese contractor. More info here: http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/laos-information/106-road-development-road-construction-laos-4.html#post40547

Quick question
How is the bridge crossing from Laos to Thailand via Houyxai when you have crossed in to Laos at a different point. Do you still need to get an escort, pickup truck? I am just trying to work out my last leg of the journey before going back in to Thailand
Thanks

Wayne

Day 26 and 27

Stayed in Oudoxmay for the day and just relaxed, had two massages as the first one didn't seem like it had done the trick. Had the same girl twice and she was very good. I felt so much better after the second one. The remainder of the day was spent drinking Beer Lao and eating food.
I also took the bike for a good wash, the second of the tour.

IMG_1495 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Set off at about 0815 hours after filling my now replenished reserve fuel bottle which I had lost the other day.

Day 27 Oudomxay to Ban Chom Ong by Wayne 66, on Flickr

I was travelling to Ban Chom Ong which is a homestay village. The route was very misty and I didn't know what to expect and I didn't even know where it was. I was following a map which was give to me by the tourist information people, and I decided to go the long way round which was through about 8 to 10 villages till I got to Ban Chom Ong. After getting a bit lost on the way as there were loads of tracks and in some places I was not even on a track according to the OSM mapping on my GPS, but its all part of the fun, so as and when I came across a different village I was asking the name of the village and then the way to Chom Ong.

IMG_1516 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1517 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1518 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1519 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1522 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1524 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
The first river crossing off the day, watch this guy nearly loose it at it was quite deep in the middle

IMG_1525 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
This second river I had just crossed and stopped to watch the trucks go through, it was very slippery

IMG_1526 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1529 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1531 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1532 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1535 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1539 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1540 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

I eventually got there for about 1130hrs, I was about 55 to 60 km the long way round, but I was not in any rush. Ban Chom Ong coords N20.70597 E101.78142.
Once I got there I stopped at a small shack in the middle of the village and started to ask about the homestay whist drinking a bottle of cold pop (soda).

IMG_1542 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1543 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

The girl at the shack had a book with English phrases but nothing on the homestay, then all of a sudden she ran off, must have been the aftershave I was wearing, she disappeared into the village and came back with a young man, who I later found out was 19m and married to the girl who ran the shack. He ended up hosting me and spoke reasonable English. Sorted, time to go to my hut for the night. When I got to it it was a hut on stilts and inside were some thin mattresses and some quilts in a bag. Very Very basic and I was thinking what had I let myself in for…..

IMG_1545 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
My dwelling for the night

IMG_1544 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1547 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

My host hung about whilst I unloaded the bike and got changed. Then it was back to the shack where we sat and drank cold beer Lao whilst his wife cooked some fried eggs with bits of chilli in them, we also had rice, the rice was just presented in a bamboo bowl and you just grabbed a hand full, literally. The egg was eaten with chopsticks.
Whilst we were eating a couple of the villagers came up to see who the foreigner was, one of them was a teacher (28yrs old) who spoke good English so we had quite a good natter, at about 1400hrs I said I was going for a walk and I was also going to secretly check on the bike and all my stuff because nothing was locked up, there were no locks on the doors at all, Ummmm, I was a bit dubious about leaving all the electronics laying about, but I had no choice unless I sat with it all the time. As I got up to leave thinking that this is going to be a long day as I didn't even have any comms, my host said that he was going to a farty, I later found out it was his pronunciation of party, as the villagers were celebrating something, he did tell me what but, after a few Lao whiskeys it was all a blur…….
So off we went further in to the village but closer to where I was staying, thankfully… When we got there it was packed out in the little area they were using, and I was shown to a wooden bench next to a table and sat down with all the other men. They made me feel right at home and involved me in all the days activities. The women served the men the beer and whiskey whilst the men ate, most of the food was in bowls but some of it was just on big leaves directly on the table, sticky rice, some kind of noodle thing, then a mix of pork and chicken soups with veg and other pork and chicken dishes, we all had a spoon each and the rest was just use you hands. I was quite taken aback by the way the women tended all the men, sorting the food, pouring the drinks etc. When the drink was being passed round you didn't get your own cup, the cup started at the end of the line, the woman poured the ring, beer and or whiskey and you drank it, tipping the dregs on the floor and giving the cup back to the woman who then went to the next man. Once all the men had had their food they left the table and all the women and kids sat down to eat. By this stage I was in a group of about 10 Lao men of which a couple spoke reasonable English. I bought 5 bottles of beer Lao for the group which was well appreciated. Whilst we were eating men were singing and there was another guy on a key board. to be honest they sound really good, this continued all they way through the day/evening.
When the women had eaten all the tables and benches were moved off the the side to make a dance floor…Ummm…when in Rome! I was sat drinking and smoking with the men and a village woman, probably in her early 20's took a bit of a shine to me and kept asking me to dance, and feed me alcohol, all the men and women who were there were dancing and singing and having a really good time. Then they brought out some big clay urns filled with what looked like wheat chaff and other stuff, I later found out it was rice particals, with long bamboo straws sticking in them, and the villagers took it in turns to sit and fill up the urns with water, and keep them topped up. The stuff was like a wine and the straw was passed round the group sat round the urns. Whilst it was kept filled with water, it was quite potent stuff. More sing and dancing until it started to get dark, which was around 1830hrs.

IMG_1549 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1550 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1551 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Food, spoons and more importantly the Lao Whiskey

IMG_1552 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
The guy in the blue denim jacket spoke ok English and the guy in the red sleeved shirt on the right was Ban Chom Ong's answer to Elvis when he got going

IMG_1557 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
One of the solitary cups being filled and passed round

IMG_1560 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
The woman in the pink jacket took a bit of a shine to me and kept asking me to dance (middle of pic)

IMG_1565 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1567 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1568 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1571 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
My host

IMG_1577 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
The dreaded wine Urns

IMG_1582 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Sat round the Urns

IMG_1564 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1576 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
The Urns and dancing

My host then took me back to his home where I had more food, fish cooked on an open fire and sticky rice, only hands were used for eating, I was sat with his wife, brothers, and grandmother.
Once we had eaten he took me back to my hut as I didn't have a clue where I was as it was pitch black by this time. Once at the hut he went back home and I grabbed my torch and went back to the party which was dwindling down, my female friend had gone, more rice wine was in order before I stumbled back to the hut where I went straight to sleep, alcohol induced haha.
What I thought was going to be long and boring day turn into an exceptional day/evening and I was made very welcome by all at the party. Well worth the time and very glad I decided to go.

Wayne

Back
Top Bottom