Cambodia 2022

Wuming

Bikes
Yamaha T700. Honda CRF250Rally.
Hello all and thanks for the add.
I am planning to travel to Cambodia in January (Covid permitting) for a few weeks and want to rent a bike to travel the country.
I'm after a CRF250L (or similar). So, a few questions:
1. Any first hand recommendations for a reliable/reasonable rental company (ideally in Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap would also work).
2. Bike insurance: is this available to a tourist renting a bike? Where would I get it?
3. Licence. I've read conflicting information on this. Is it really necessary or will an IDP be sufficient?
4. Anything else I should be aware of?
Many thanks in advance.

The Bigfella

Staff member
Bikes
KTM 950SER & EXC, BMW R90S & Dakar, MZ250, BSA B33, Norton 16H, Honda - 500 Fs & X, DRZs, XLs XRs CRFs CT110s etc
Welcome aboard. A few thoughts... post Covid, I suspect that what's gone before may be different. I can't help with a rental company, as I've had my own bike on my trips there - and as I recall it, in Siem Reap, they wanted people to go on tours rather than rent. I have a good contact there for tours, but not rentals. I think Phnom Penh may be different - but first we have to see which businesses survived the last two years.

Victory motorcycles seem to be still active on Facebook - and they appear to have offroad bikes... but they talk of holding passports for deposit or 70% the value of the bike. Hmmm.

Bike insurance.... hmmm. Difficult. Here in Thailand, some rental companies offer it, but mostly that is self-insurance by them and not cheap. If you can find a travel insurance back home that covers you, it is probably better. It's worth noting that repair costs here are generally low. I had a CRF come back the other day with mangled gear lever and broken mirror mount. It cost the customer 200 baht - under five pounds. Would have been 320 baht, but we could straighten the gear lever. There's other companies though that will charge for every scratch.

Licence - bring your home country bike licence AND an IDP (International Driving Permit).

It's an interesting country to ride in (but I still prefer Northern Thailand).

Wuming

Bikes
Cheers mate.
If all goes to plan; I will be coming to Chiang Mai on this trip as well. Are you the guy who took over from Phil at Riders Corner? (Sorry, been out of the loop for quite a while!). If I get there, I will come and see you about renting a bike.

blackwolf

Bikes
Honda Sonic 125cc, 4 wheels, about to buy a 250cc dirt bike
Lucky! Lucky! on Monivong Blvd in Phnom Penh should still be in business, though their bikes tend to be older, a little worn or not in the best state of repair. That stated, I've never encountered any issues. Do a solid inspection when you first pick up a bike and it helps to have some mechanical know how, in case you break down somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

Cambodia seems to be wide open domestically, so January should work. Personally, I'd prefer to wait things out a little longer as it's still not "normal" yet, but we seem to be getting there.

Cambodia is rather flat with the exception of the south-western Cardamon mountains area in Pursat and Koh Kong provinces. A good ride is from Pursat down to the Thai border along highway 55 through the Phnum Samkos wildlife sanctuary, taking in the nice vistas and hairpin turns up and down the mountains ending at Thmor Da, on the border opposite Trat (even during normal times, this is not an international border crossing, but may be turned into one in the future). Gradients are moderate compared with northern Thailand, central/northern Vietnam or Laos though. The other highlands area is the north-eastern Mondulkiri province, but that's more of a high plateau than a true mountainous area.

Last edited:

Wuming

Bikes
Thanks for the advice blackwolf. I'll check out those routes.

DrGMIA

Pit stop after 6th ride around the world, in USA,
Bikes
Oldest 1931, newest 2016, numerous makes and models in between on several continents
I've used Angkor Motorcycle three of my five loops in and around Cambodia. Nice people, excellent English, easy to find, motorcycles were OK (250 XR and Baja), but not new. I remember the owner telling me they had about 60 at their warehouse. Lucky Lucky and Angkor Motorcycle seemed to be the major rental players in Phnom Penh.

The first time I rented from them they held my passport for security for the 10 days. 2nd and 3rd time I seemed to be a trusted client, so the passport was not required. I suppose a wad of $100 bills would suffice versus passport being held (worked at another rental shop).

I carried in my own helmet (they had loaners/rentals), tools, windscreen, soft side panniers, bungee straps and most important for long days on the Honda seats, an Airhawk seat. My last rental was $25 USD per day plus $2 per day for insurance - and they accepted US Dollars.

I agree with Blackwolf, things are currently fluid and Cambodia still had a significant taste of The Wild West when I was last there. Once you experience the traffic and road rules (or lack of application thereof) you'll know you are no longer "in Kansas, Toto."

Cambodia 1.jpg
Cambodia 2.jpg

Dr G
Chief of the World Adventure Affairs Desk, CITY BIKE magazine, researching adventurous affairs around the globe
Adventure Strategy Columnist, MOTORCYCLE CONSUMER NEWS magazine
Professor of Motorcycle Adventure, SOUND RIDER magazine
Sole sexual survivor: www.greataroundtheworldmotorcycleadventurerally.com

blackwolf

Bikes
Honda Sonic 125cc, 4 wheels, about to buy a 250cc dirt bike
Same types of bikes available at Lucky! Lucky! Mainly 250cc Bajas and some XRs. I would always go for a Baja. I don't believe they make them anymore, but they're a great classic.

Wuming

Bikes
Thanks. I'm looking at 4 potential renters:
1. Dara Motorcycle.
2. Cambodia motorbike rental.
3. Victory MotorBike.
4. Lucky Lucky.
There seems to be quite a disparity in rates between some of these; 'll go and have a look first to check the bikes over.

Wuming

Bikes
OK. I've got a very rough anticlockwise route from PP in my head (Monoroum, Ban Lung, Romkel, Siem Reap, Cardamom mountains, Kep). Any "must see" places (apart from the obvious) or, more importantly, "must ride" routes? Will have about 3 weeks riding time, possibly a bit more. Too little time? Too ambitious?
Cheers.

The Bigfella

Staff member
Bikes
KTM 950SER & EXC, BMW R90S & Dakar, MZ250, BSA B33, Norton 16H, Honda - 500 Fs & X, DRZs, XLs XRs CRFs CT110s etc
Cardamom mountains can be "interesting" - depending on where you are headed

Wuming

Bikes
"Interesting"........now I'm intrigued. How so?
Happy New Year to you all!

The Bigfella

Staff member
Bikes
Have a look at this ride report... it gives you some idea of the Cardamoms area. Search Cardamoms on the forum and I'm sure you will find more

Wuming

Bikes
Quick question: what is the direct (ish) route like from Battambang to Pramaoy? Easy enough, or is the 55 via Krong Pursat recommended? Cheers.

The Bigfella

Staff member
Bikes
Quick question: what is the direct (ish) route like from Battambang to Pramaoy? Easy enough, or is the 55 via Krong Pursat recommended? Cheers.

I haven't done that one, but zooming in on the satellite view, it looks like a pretty simple track that gets traffic. There's lots of branches off it, which indicates usage.

Wuming

Bikes
Well: visa approved and plane ticket bought. So, Covid Shenanigans permitting, I should be arriving in PP on the 31st. And then on a bike soon after.
I will post the ride report here. Cheers for all the help and suggestions

Last edited:
Top Bottom