buying bike off Thai ransfer

CRF Rainbow

Bikes
'07 Kwaka ER6 (Team Orange) and The Mighty Honda Wave 125.
Brains trust.

Want to buy bike off Thai national who live in another province.
Apart from getting greenbook off seller, would expect to require some sort of release papers as well.
Is there common forms to fill or what should I be getting from the buyer?
I'm led to believe the plates from another province need to be handed in and some sort of application made in my home province.

Am thinking some reference already covered in this site but cannot locate it.

Thanks in advance for all comments.

When you buy a bike from another person in Thailand you need to have two transfer forms (mob amnack and sue khai) filled and signed by the guy plus a copy of his ID card/passport duly dated and signed. Usually not required but doesn't hurt to have a power of attorney form to transfer the bike into your name without him present.

Best is to go to the motor vehicle department nearest you in your province and ask them to give you the forms (they will tell you if they want the guy present or signed power of attorney), make a copy in case you guys make mistakes and need to redo them. Have a Thai speaking person with you to make sure everything is filled in correctly.

You can then take the bike to the motor vehicle department in your province and transfer the vehicle into your name, you will be getting a new license plate from your province. It is best to keep both paperworks with you until the new plate arrives (it can take up to several months).

You will need your passport copy, work permit copy and proof of residence (address in WP is sufficient) or if on married/retirement visa a copy of your yellow book (residence confirmation). Take note that without either a work permit or a yellow book (or equivalent form from Immigration as mentioned after) you will not be allowed to register the bike in your name.

Good luck with purchase and please remember, do not pay any money until you have the bike and signed forms...especially never send any money or deposits to anyone if the bike you want was advertised on Craigslist. Cheers

A few comments:

1. There have been recent reports that the seller has to show a residence. Since he is Thai, a copy of his house book would suffice.

2. You CAN register the bike in your name without a work permit or yellow house book. You need to get some proof of residence - either from Immigration or your embassy/consulate. You can get this proof even if you are here on a tourist visa. (Colin just did to register his new bike)

3. The existing plate stays with the bike. You do not automatically get a new plate for your province. That is a separate transaction with the MV department. You can do that, or just keep the plate as is.

A few comments:

1. There have been recent reports that the seller has to show a residence. Since he is Thai, a copy of his house book would suffice.

2. You CAN register the bike in your name without a work permit or yellow house book. You need to get some proof of residence - either from Immigration or your embassy/consulate. You can get this proof even if you are here on a tourist visa. (Colin just did to register his new bike)

3. The existing plate stays with the bike. You do not automatically get a new plate for your province. That is a separate transaction with the MV department. You can do that, or just keep the plate as is.

BobS...on number 1) I herd that in places like BKK (and probably Phuket and Chiang Mai as well now) they might ask for the tabian baan of the seller...in other provinces it usually not the case, but that is why I suggested he get ALL the required forms and info from his DMV.

On number 2) I don't know what Colin did...but it wouldn't fly in Surin. Here (if you do not have a work permit) the only proof of residence accepted is the Yellow book (or an equivalent form to the yellow book that you get from immigration but it requires a Thai person's Tabian baan and signed statement that you live at her/his residence, basically a form including you to his/her tabian baan). Whatever your embassy issues is irrelevant and would not be accepted as proof of residence.
You should also note that proof of staying is becoming more and more controlled...in theory, if you do not have either a yellow book or the equivalent form above mentioned (which you would have to redo everytime you come back as it is only valid for the duration of your tourist visa) you would have to let the local immigration or police department know that you are staying in the area if in a private residence.

If you live in a resort or hotel there is no way you can get a yellow book or any other VALID proof of address.

As far as number 3 is concerned, CRFR said he wants to transfer the bike to his province. The plate ONLY remains with the bike if the transfer is completed within the province the bike is registered in. The bike can be brought back to the province CRFR lives in and transferred there, however, in such a case he will be receiving a new plate from his province.

Your statement is either incorrect or not well explained. There is no "separate transaction with DMV"...and he cannot just keep the plate as is...he has to transfer the vehicle into his name. He could do that at in the province where the bike was registered (in which case the plates stay) OR he could do it in his province (in which case he gets new plates from his province), but he needs to do it.

CRFR...I know we are making this sound complicated but its not. I assume you are living here several months every year with your Thai spouse so getting a Yellow book is easy (and also very convenient as it adds many other benefits). For the rest just get the forms (and info of copies required) from your DMV then bring the bike there to transfer it into your name. (btw plates and driver's license from your province also help reducing tickets)

Alex:

1. In your first post you made no mention of residency proof for the seller. That is why I listed it. Depending on the office, it may not be needed - but for the sake of one more copy it would be good for him to have.

2. In your first post, you did state that you needed a work permit or a yellow book to register the bike in your name. Now you do mention the residency form that I listed in my post.

3. Colin just got one last week here in Chiang Mai. He was able to do so with a copy of a yellow book and a passport copy of the yellow book owner. No signed form required. Again, we all know about the variances office to office.

4. I sold a bike earlier this year to someone here on a 30 day stamp. Immigration would not issue the residence form, But he was able to get one at the British Consulate here using a photocopy of a yellow book. Cost was almost 3000 baht.

5. CRFR was "led to believe the plates from another province need to be handed in and some sort of application made in my home province" - not that he wanted to or had to. I have transferred bikes registered in other provinces, and the plate stays with the bike. I know several riders that live here and have registered bikes here that have Bangkok plates. I have never heard of any sale where they confiscate the plate if you register it in a different province. Might be a Surin proceedure - lucky you :-)

Plate transfer is separate to sale.

I took a few years to change from Phuket to CM and another car from BKK to Phuket at my own leisure.

Alex:

1. In your first post you made no mention of residency proof for the seller. That is why I listed it. Depending on the office, it may not be needed - but for the sake of one more copy it would be good for him to have.

2. In your first post, you did state that you needed a work permit or a yellow book to register the bike in your name. Now you do mention the residency form that I listed in my post.

3. Colin just got one last week here in Chiang Mai. He was able to do so with a copy of a yellow book and a passport copy of the yellow book owner. No signed form required. Again, we all know about the variances office to office.

4. I sold a bike earlier this year to someone here on a 30 day stamp. Immigration would not issue the residence form, But he was able to get one at the British Consulate here using a photocopy of a yellow book. Cost was almost 3000 baht.

5. CRFR was "led to believe the plates from another province need to be handed in and some sort of application made in my home province" - not that he wanted to or had to. I have transferred bikes registered in other provinces, and the plate stays with the bike. I know several riders that live here and have registered bikes here that have Bangkok plates. I have never heard of any sale where they confiscate the plate if you register it in a different province. Might be a Surin proceedure - lucky you :-)

I am getting confused...you say no yellow book needed but then your examples talk about forms obtained with yellow book, residence proof obtained with copy of yellow book???

The yellow book is a proof of residence.

We can discuss this at nauseoum but bottom line is that the law is pretty much the same all over Thailand with some little differences from province to province as it is a provincial matter. Many exceptions can be bought...maybe some dude was able to fandangle something with the embassy but it is certainly not the rule and I always avoid mentioning exceptions like these because you end up getting people in trouble. Too many people end up "screwed" because they follow some shady advise of an exception that might have worked for 3,000baht once BUT IS NO LONGER POSSIBLE because nowdays transactions are better monitored and nobody wants to get caught.

Residency forms of the seller are USUALLY not required and in the few exception I have seen so far ONLY if the seller was not Thai. I have also already seen a transaction where the DMV insisted of having the seller present to complete the transfer. I am sure that some irregularity triggered that request, nothing more.

Again, it is best to ask the DMV where the transfer will occur to hand the relevant forms they want to see filled and ask what copies they require, that is the safest bet to have all complete forms and formalities.

As for the form, Yes I added in the form that one can obtain from immigration, which is an equivalent to a yellow book, and yes I had forgotten to mention it...but that form needs to be backed up by a tabian baan form a thai resident. Obtaining a yellow book is quicker and easier and comes with added benefits. I don't know if you were referring to the same form because you cannot just walk into an immigration office and ask for that form, you do need a thai person with his/her tabian baan to sign otherwise you CANNOT get that form.

I only kept the license plate of the original province on one of my bikes...all my other bikes I bought I transferred to the province I was residing at the time I bought them (Phuket, Bangkok, Surin) and everytime I did get a new license plate in my name for the province where I did register the transfer, with a number of my choosing I may add.
BTW nobody ever said anything about confiscated plates and obligation to switch, BUT low and behold, that obligation to transfer to the province of residence might just become a new law in the near future, just to give you some thumbs up on what some of the new transfer rules under discussion are...

Of course one can do the transfer in the same province and leave the "original" plates on the bike (has always been and still is, may change in the future, may not, but for now)...any buyer's choice. nobody ever disputed that. Personally I prefer to reregister and get a local plate like most thai people do, as I said, attracts less attention and comes with benefits.

Furthermore, I have never herd of any DMV transferring a vehicle into a buyers name without the proper 2 forms dated and signed. In your example you mentioned about Colin, the DMV people, as they often do in some cases, filled and filed the forms using the info from the passport and yellow book of the seller, as simple as that.

Plate transfer is separate to sale.

I took a few years to change from Phuket to CM and another car from BKK to Phuket at my own leisure.

That's the point, you do not have to, but you can. Better to do it right away when everything is being done then having to worry about running around later if the rules change...besides, driving around regularly in Surin with Surin plates I have never got a ticket, plenty of people driving with BKK plates have a different experience.

Alex - the confusion seems to arise when you make statements that are not 100% accurate and then modify.

1. "Take note that without either a work permit or a yellow book (or equivalent form from Immigration as mentioned after) you will not be allowed to register the bike in your name." This is simply not true. Other proofs of residency are accepted - either from Immigration or your Embassy/Consulate. The Embassy forms are not "fandangled", they are sworn and witnessed legal documents accepted by the Thai government. To get those forms different proofs of address can be used. Yellow books, blue books, hotel leases etc. All of these work now. Predictions of what MIGHT happen in the future are only guesses on your part.

2. " that form needs to be backed up by a tabian baan form a thai resident" and "you cannot just walk into an immigration office and ask for that form, you do need a thai person with his/her tabian baan to sign otherwise you CANNOT get that form" Again - not true. If it is a Yellow book, it is obviously a non/Thai that has it and is verifying the address. And most recently (last week in Chiang Mai) the Yellow book owner's presence or a signed form was NOT required. When the verification is a lease, the property owner is the one to verify it (usually Thai in this case)

3. "The plate ONLY remains with the bike if the transfer is completed within the province the bike is registered in." Not true in my experience or that of others. And later, you agree with this - "That's the point, you do not have to, but you can."

4. "Furthermore, I have never herd of any DMV transferring a vehicle into a buyers name without the proper 2 forms dated and signed." Nobody has claimed anything different from that. The info was that Colin was able to get the Immigration proof of residency using ONLY a photocopy of a Yellow book and Passport of the book holder. That form was included with the sales transfer forms.

The OP was asking for what he HAD to do, not what was optional.

I have lost count of how many bikes and cars I have bought and sold over the last 14 years in all kinds of provinces.. Not once have I had a yellow house book or work permit.

Every time I have used the address verification from immigration, tho I could also have got it from my embassy.

Every time I have used the address verification from immigration, tho I could also have got it from my embassy.

So how did you get the address verification from immigration? As BobS points out yellow book, blue book, longterm lease (backed up by address verification such as hotel registration equivalent to tabian baan)...just curious?

BobS I said I had forgotten to mention that form, I believe that was made clear, you seem to be dead horse anyway you indicate that the form you talk about is the same I know about...and btw the swiss embassy, god bless their corrupt hooker souls, would not issue a proof of residence for a Thai address. Tested and tried...maybe the brits are different...we know you are but maybe the embassy has different rules, it seems they will help you stay with a fake proof of address but they wouldn't for the love of god ever help you go back home...

Up to a few years ago, back in Phuket or BKK, to get the form from immigration if you didn't have a thai blue book to back it up you needed to show a lease and/or confirmation of stay from a registered address like Condo, Hotel, Resort, private owner with yellow book (which is all the equivalent of a thai with tabian baan) but yes, we could, should actually, go into the nitty gritty of the little details of what is and what is not accepted to get that form while we're at it, please give us all the details...and again, please do not forget to mention that the form is only valid for the duration of your visa, when you renew the visa you need a new form (i.e.if you plan to sell the bike)

Bottom line, my advise, get a yellow book and make your life easier, it worked out that way for me, no more running around immigration offices to get forms all the time.

"please do not forget to mention that the form is only valid for the duration of your visa, when you renew the visa you need a new form"

Actually Alex, the certificate of residence issued by Immigration expires after 30 days.

Also, if you need it twice - say to register a bike and get a drivers license - the first government office that you go to can make a certified copy of the certificate of residence that can be used at the second government office.

"please do not forget to mention that the form is only valid for the duration of your visa, when you renew the visa you need a new form"

Actually Alex, the certificate of residence issued by Immigration expires after 30 days.

Also, if you need it twice - say to register a bike and get a drivers license - the first government office that you go to can make a certified copy of the certificate of residence that can be used at the second government office.

30 days must be new...last time I needed one I was able to keep the original (valid for the duration of my visa as I was explained) and every office I went to made a copy of it...2 bike transfers (one in BKK and one in Surin), 2 driver's licenses (Car and Bike) all with the same form. But that was a few years ago already...around 2008-2009 if I recall

So how did you get the address verification from immigration? As BobS points out yellow book, blue book, longterm lease (backed up by address verification such as hotel registration equivalent to tabian baan)...just curious?

Depends on the office.. Some need no proof, simply saying "I live here" is enough.. Some want a lease or other thing to show.. Once in a truly kafkaesqe circular logic, when I needed to renew my driving license, the wanted the address verification letter, so I went to immigration, where I showed them my old driving license, as proof of my address, to get a new address confirm letter, to take back and get another license issued.. Don't even try to understand them.

How you get the letter depends on the office., all I am saying is, I have done well into double digit vehicle transfers and never had a yellow book or work permit. I would hazard most expats don't have these either and just use the verification system each time.

I was shocked that Colin could turn up to get a residency certificate, with a tourist visa in his passport & a copy of someone's Thai house documents (they could have been anyone's !!) & he qualified for a residency certificate which enables you to register a motorcycle in your name in Thailand - Amazing Thailand!

Two years ago I got a residence cert with a tourist visa and a condo rental agreement.
Last year they would not issue one at all on a tourist visa.
This year it sounds like they will.
Like so much bureaucracy in Thailand it seems to depend on what side the official got out of bed and what he (she) had for breakfast!

Alex - I got stuck with the 30 day expiration of the residence certificate back in 2002. You must have gotten a Surin special.

Tim - they are now issued at a different office near the Promenada Mall

I was shocked that Colin could turn up to get a residency certificate, with a tourist visa in his passport & a copy of someone's Thai house documents (they could have been anyone's !!) & he qualified for a residency certificate which enables you to register a motorcycle in your name in Thailand - Amazing Thailand!

It came as a surprise to me as well...never herd of such a thing before...but then again, getting it with an expiring driving license is also funny. It really depends on the local offices I guess...the first time I got one (in 2007 when work permit alone was not yet sufficient in HKT) it was valid 10 months (expiring on the date of my visa) and the last time I got one it expired 2 weeks later (again expiry date of my visa). I have never been able to get one on my own, I always had to have my better half sign a form (though once only the form filled with her address and her signature was enough, she forgot the tabian baan at home)...it was 500baht in Phuket but in Surin always free of charge.

Administration of DMV is provincial and things may change from province to province but as far as I know Immigration is National and all provinces have the same laws...perhaps proof of residence and related issues are also provincial and not always the same.

Bottom line is, a work permit facilitates many things and a yellow book even more so. For those staying in Thailand with a spouse getting one is both easy and cheap, only a one time runaround...well worth doing and having.

Cnx was one of the toughest demanding non Imm visas before.. Phuket would give them on anything, 30 or 15 day visa exempt stamps etc.. I have noticed a correlation between the price paid for this "free" service and how easy they issue them.. Cnx were not giving them, then at 500b each now anyone can have one.

Bottom line is, a work permit facilitates many things and a yellow book even more so. For those staying in Thailand with a spouse getting one is both easy and cheap, only a one time runaround...well worth doing and having.

Getting yellow books (especially in rental houses) is another thing that is totally variable from amphur to amphur.. I enquiresd last year but was told that needed my landlord to physically come (from Switzerland !!) and vague non specific comments that I would need the poo Yai baan and or a well known neighbor to come and vouch for me that I really lived there.

As that stopped being a simple paper chase at that point I gave up. If it's just docs I can assemble them, but having to get locals to come and do things simply for a book I might use once or twice in the next year or two.. Way too much effort.

Back
Top Bottom