Help wanted buying bikes in Malaysia

Kiwirider

Bikes
Honda VTR 250
My partner and I are traveling for the next 4-6 months and are looking for bikes for this time. As we only have relatively small bikes back home (New Zealand) we were looking at small bikes/scooters - this also seemed to make boarder crossings easier. I noticed that someone else on the forum was in a similar position and had gone with a Honda Wave. Having a look around we have been offered two suzuki smash scooters (not that keen on the name) for RM7700 - this seems compeditive with what we have seen for new bikes around town and on the internet but we would take a real hit on them when it came time to sell it outside Malaysia. Does anyone know if the second hand market is worth trying? Have found some really variable results when I was trying to check it out.
If buying new is the way to go is there any recomendations for where to go? We are currently in Malaka looking at heading to KL in the next few days.
Thanks for any advice
K

I hope that is 7700 for two Suzuki Smash and not the price each... I have a Smash and it is ok but the tank holds only about three teaspoons full so if you plan on going any distances on these types of bikes you need to plan ahead/stay on main roads/carry extra fuel.

I reckon that you would not be able to sell these bikes outside the country you bought them in, pretty sure that no-one would be interested unless you flog them off pretty cheap at the Thai/Burma border.

Hassman

Getting fuel is a problem up in the mountains and remote spots in Malaysia, I nearly ran out on the Phantom and that has a decent range.
Carry some spare with you out in the wilds and fill up often is my advice as I never noticed fuel in whisky bottles like in Thailand

Back
Top Bottom