BMW F800GS

Congratulations Phil will be interested to follow your road test reports.

I might have gone for a white one but both my cars are white as well as my house is a kind of white.....I couldn't have another white thing! Besides, that Kalamata is going to look great dirty!

I might have gone for a white one but both my cars are white as well as my house is a kind of white.....I couldn't have another white thing! Besides, that Kalamata is going to look great dirty!

The Kalamata has grown on me. I think it looks great on GSA as well as looking good with both black and aluminium bars/plate/luggage.

Strange why BMW are keeping the current Alphine white next year along with the new white with red frame. Very limited choice of colours: White (x2) and red.

Phil, on the f800gs Thailand FB page a guy called Tium moto Work has some called Fella on his page recently. B35,000? It's on Thai.

i am sure Panda told me he had some SW Motech in an email and of course there is $Touratech$...

I sent you an invite to Tiums page. Has some interesting stuff.

Very interesting link Dave! - "Tourfella" in Touratech's font!!

ราคา มาละคับ....!!!
ปี้บ 2 ใบ พร้อม แล๊ค สีดำ....!!!
ขอขาย สีดำ...35,000...บาท
ขอขาย สีบอลเงิน ...34,000...บาท
สิ้นค้า.........ส่งฟรี..........ครับผม. !!!
T.089-9517260 @line ka_tium
(7 photos)

10551096_1496467763934783_885859030297069343_n.jpg

10671326_1496467820601444_1803738326968638564_n.jpg

I wonder where they are made???

10653531_1496467843934775_8440607260127052135_n.jpg

10551096_1496467863934773_6071110602187096493_n.jpg

10636143_1496467900601436_6861454265203976293_n.jpg

TB-R has these on his JH600 I believe, he will be able to shed some light on this Tourfella setup.

"Tourfella" in Touratech's font!! I wonder where they are made???

MIC = Yongkang (Zhejiang Province in China), company owned and operated by a guy named DU RUI.
-got a set mounted on my solo Jialing JH600 for a few years, solid panniers for what they cost-

Go to TAOBAO = http://www.taobao.com and type TOURFELLA and hit the search button....

Burning Shop in Chiang Mai has just received his shipment of Tourfella pannier boxes. mounting frames, 2 side pannier boxes (CORRECTION- no top box) & internal soft bags, all comes to 34,000 Bht fitted.

20140920_100434.jpg by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

They have black or silver in the pannier frame's. They are thread locking all the fasteners

20140920_103310.jpg by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Next week he will have engine bar protector's, 8,000 Bht & also sump guards.

Touratech 2x pannier boxes and frames (no top box or fitting plate) are USD$ 1,433 alone in the USA. That doesnt include shipping, Thai import tax or fitting.

pannier boxes.jpg

Interesting dual between the BMW F 800 gs and the Triumph Tiger 800 XC ( remember the Triumph is now 300,000 Bht more in Thailand) that 2wheels found.

2014 BMW F800GS Adventure vs. Triumph Tiger 800XC

[h=2]On The Road[/h]

The BMW edges the Tiger in its over-the-road comfort. The Adventure's adjustable windshield is remarkably effective at diverting air from a rider, and its ride is so plush that it's difficult to imagine a cushier ride. The BMW's trip computer is a nice feature on a bike meant for traveling, but the LCD info screen is fairly small and not easy to read. On a related note, we'd gladly give up the analog speedometer's 160-mph range for larger and more clearly defined numerals.

[h=2]Off The Road[/h]

When it comes to navigating the variable complexities of off-roading, the GS Adventure is the preferable mount. Its motor tractors away from as little as 2000 rpm, spitting out exactly what a rider's wrist demands. The Tiger, despite a narrow clutch engagement zone and a peakier powerband, performed surprisingly well in the dirt - second gear is usable from just 15 mph. It delivered more traction than expected on hard-packed dirt, but, in loose terrain, the motor spins up too quickly and causes the tire to lose grip. And, on washboard surfaces, the Tiger suffers annoying axle tramp.
"The BMW felt more planted in the dirt that we rode," Dean commented. "It had plusher suspension in the dirt, and it was easier to moderate the throttle at slow speeds. The Twin lugged better than the Triple."

A lower center of gravity is another off-road advantage for the F800, despite a 30-lb weight disadvantage. With the fuel tank placed under the seat and the engine's inclined cylinders, the BMW feels much less top-heavy than the Tiger. In certain gnarly circumstances, this could be the difference between riding through them or eating dirt.
If things do get out of hand, the BMW's sturdy engine/bash guards will probably do a better job of limiting damage. Dean doesn't rate the Triumph's guards highly.
"They made the bike look more Adventur-y, I suppose, but one tip-over off pavement left them pretty scarred, as well as the plastic bits at the tank," he lamented. "The plastic tank and rad covers weren't expensive, but I had expected the crash bars to be more protective."

[h=2]Conclusion (Using the F 800 gs Adventure model)[/h]

If price was no object, and off-roading was to be a key mission, BMW's F800GS Adventure is the superior machine. It boasts robust wind protection, higher technology, a better luggage system, and versatile competence no matter where its front tire is aimed.

Interesting dual between the BMW F 800 gs and the Triumph Tiger 800 XC ( remember the Triumph is now 300,000 Bht more in Thailand) that 2wheels found.

2014 BMW F800GS Adventure vs. Triumph Tiger 800XC

On The Road

The BMW edges the Tiger in its over-the-road comfort. The Adventure’s adjustable windshield is remarkably effective at diverting air from a rider, and its ride is so plush that it’s difficult to imagine a cushier ride. The BMW’s trip computer is a nice feature on a bike meant for traveling, but the LCD info screen is fairly small and not easy to read. On a related note, we’d gladly give up the analog speedometer’s 160-mph range for larger and more clearly defined numerals.

Off The Road

When it comes to navigating the variable complexities of off-roading, the GS Adventure is the preferable mount. Its motor tractors away from as little as 2000 rpm, spitting out exactly what a rider’s wrist demands. The Tiger, despite a narrow clutch engagement zone and a peakier powerband, performed surprisingly well in the dirt – second gear is usable from just 15 mph. It delivered more traction than expected on hard-packed dirt, but, in loose terrain, the motor spins up too quickly and causes the tire to lose grip. And, on washboard surfaces, the Tiger suffers annoying axle tramp.
“The BMW felt more planted in the dirt that we rode,” Dean commented. “It had plusher suspension in the dirt, and it was easier to moderate the throttle at slow speeds. The Twin lugged better than the Triple.”

A lower center of gravity is another off-road advantage for the F800, despite a 30-lb weight disadvantage. With the fuel tank placed under the seat and the engine’s inclined cylinders, the BMW feels much less top-heavy than the Tiger. In certain gnarly circumstances, this could be the difference between riding through them or eating dirt.
If things do get out of hand, the BMW’s sturdy engine/bash guards will probably do a better job of limiting damage. Dean doesn’t rate the Triumph’s guards highly.
“They made the bike look more Adventur-y, I suppose, but one tip-over off pavement left them pretty scarred, as well as the plastic bits at the tank,” he lamented. “The plastic tank and rad covers weren’t expensive, but I had expected the crash bars to be more protective.”

Conclusion (Using the F 800 gs Adventure model)

If price was no object, and off-roading was to be a key mission, BMW’s F800GS Adventure is the superior machine. It boasts robust wind protection, higher technology, a better luggage system, and versatile competence no matter where its front tire is aimed.

Agreed, although let's not forget the actual models compared above retail at 855K (F800 GSA) and 830K (Truimph Explorer XC) still here. Would be interesting to see if using the standard GS would have changed the results at all. The few video comparisons I've seen suggested the Triumph was the better on road bike, the BMW the better off road one.

Unless Triumph revise their price on this bike sharpish, I'd be surprised if they sell very many of the Explorer XC in Thailand. Even those who prefer this bike, which by all accounts is an excellent bike, is it worth paying a 300K premium?

On another note, do those red 'Tourfella' stickers look like they can come off easily? I am a fella who likes touring but I'd rather not advertise the fact!

On another note, do those red 'Tourfella' stickers look like they can come off easily? I am a fella who likes touring but I'd rather not advertise the fact!

They come off just removed mine.

What size are they Phil? I am tempted to go the smallest ones, 29litre I think. Definitely going to get a set for the price, how is the quality? On their website it shows a jeep driving over on with the lid off!

Welcome to the world of touring, by that I mean you look like a tourer rather than an off roader with a bag strapped to the back. Just wonder how long you last haha

I am tempted to buy one of these:

image.jpg

Apparently the the throttle is quite snatchy low down as like all bikes now it is set up lean from the factory to pass emissions. These will trick the ECU into enriching the mixture by telling it the temperature is colder than it actually is. These seem the best ones as it has an external reference temp probe. Others are a fixed temp but don't take into account variations in temperature. I haven't seen anything about a custom ECU map for this bike.

What size are they Phil? I am tempted to go the smallest ones, 29litre I think. Definitely going to get a set for the price, how is the quality? On their website it shows a jeep driving over on with the lid off!

Quality seems pretty good so far. Lids shut tight, hinge closures fit good, all the rivets look like they are done properly. These are the 41 liter version.

WP_20140920_14_28_05_Pro.jpg by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Hockey puck fasteners with nylon lock nuts to keep them tight

WP_20140920_14_28_21_Pro.jpg by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

The clamping arrangement onto the pannier racks has some play, but looks like an easy fix

WP_20140920_14_28_33_Pro.jpg by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Look good in black Phil! Do they have the same set/racks for a CRF250 also?

Just checked the (Dutch) BMW pricelist for the original BMW aluminium side panniers (82 liter together) including mounting hardware and soft bags, 50.000 baht. The topcase (32 liter) with all hardware and soft bag is 24.000 baht. These cases are equipped with the one key locking system.

BMW also offers the waterproof vario cases, they can be reduced in volume from 67 liter to 47 liter and the side pannier width than reduces by 120mm. The topcase can be reduced from 35 liter to 25. Price for this "plastic" set is a bit cheaper than the aluminium set.

All prices include 21% VAT and exclude mounting.

They had a small set in the shop in a different area, could well be for the CRF 250.

Wire tie a spare key for the pannier boxes under your seat. Ive put one in a ziplock bag in the pannier too, feels like it might be a key you'll always be looking for as its used infrequently.

Which ones are they? SW Motech? From Panda rider?

These are from the same shop where Phil had his Tourfella boxes fitted yesterday. Tium only sent me pictures of these bars. No idea if he's going to stock upper/extension bars too.

No center stand. Will need a center stand for sure...... Anyone seen center stands stocked in Thailand yet?

Phil, the center stand is Euro 161,60 in the Dutch BMW price list, including the mounting hardware, price includes 21% VAT.

Phil, if you look at this photo I shot of the bike currently outside Panda Rider, it has a centre stand. It's probably SW-Motech. You could try there.

8f3ccde186d21a50f577ce530c5aa383_zps1b27ea31.jpg

You can get centre stands but with the lowered suspension both wheels still touch the ground like in Craig's picture above.

Can you confirm those crash bars are sw motech or are they the Chinese ones? They actually look like the Givi ones. Panda rider has sw motech for B7500. Maybe worth the extra over Chinese made ones!

You can get centre stands but with the lowered suspension both wheels still touch the ground like in Craig's picture above.

Can you confirm those crash bars are sw motech or are they the Chinese ones? They actually look like the Givi ones. Panda rider has sw motech for B7500. Maybe worth the extra over Chinese made ones!

I'm assuming Chinese for that price.

That's a huge headache that both wheels will touch the ground while on center stand.....makes even oiling the chain difficult, let alone changing punctures.

That's a huge headache that both wheels will touch the ground while on center stand.....makes even oiling the chain difficult, let alone changing punctures.

weld on or install extensions onto main stand... easy as ~ nuff said'....

I'll be changing the suspension on mine to bring the ride height back to normal as it felt too low for me plus the standard suspension isn't that great. Then a centre stand would work fine but for those leaving the suspension stock welding an extension on the centre stand legs is the answer.

I'll be changing the suspension on mine to bring the ride height back to normal as it felt too low for me plus the standard suspension isn't that great. Then a centre stand would work fine but for those leaving the suspension stock welding an extension on the centre stand legs is the answer.

Increasing the ground contact pad thickness by only 1/2" on the center stand might even do it

Skid plates and headlight protectors, along with a host of other Touratechy style guards, now in at the Burning shop. No idea on prices but they look like cheap Chinese copies again so not too much I would imagine.

e09b1ef28613a7a8cc33cb0e860be45b_zps71d22ade.jpg

f4475ec43c1beee9c8ed8fcf16d4c00c_zps97f7e605.jpg

Back
Top Bottom