BMW F800GS

Davevb

Bikes
2010 Triumph Thruxton
With this bikes arrival imminent I thought we could start a discussion on it.

I have my deposit down! Along with 10+ others....

A little strange committing to buying a bike I haven't even seen yet but there is plenty of info and pictures around to see.

One thing I didn't know and of use to unsuspecting buyers is that this Asian model will come with low suspension and the low seat! Didn't know that! But fair enough being an Asian model.

But anyway, I was always planning on upgrading the suspension as I want to be riding trails here on it. It's no linkage change either, the shock will have to be changed as well as the fork springs to get the normal ride height. BMW said no when I asked if it could be delivered with normal ride height. The low seat I think I can live with, apparently it's more comfortable anyway.

I did some digging around and found a supplier for SW Motech and Metal Mule parts in Bangkok so thats good for skid plates, engine crash bars, racks etc.

I will be fitting Heidenau scout K60 tyres to it, also available in Bkk.

YSS are developing a shock and spring kit which may be a good upgrade and bring the bike to normal ride height so will be waiting to see what they come up with. Other brands have products on the market already.

Anyway, 2 months wait...They should have a display model within a month so I will report here when it arrives.

Mine is Kalamata green/brown/gold, whatever it is...

Should be a great bike for Thailand and looking forward to getting some touring miles on it under me.

No doubt, it will need a lot of extras fitted to it to make it off road ready (when I say off road I know it's limitations, I still have my CRF for rougher stuff) but at B530,000 it's a good start, maybe another 60k on parts and riding gear. Still waay cheaper than the comparable triumph 800XC which I may have preferred.

At least I can look forward to a good winters riding!

2013-BMW-F800GS-Enduro-BMW-Motorrad (1).jpg

Heidenau Scout K60. For the F 800GS-rear is 2nd from left on top, front second from left bottom heidenau-k60-scout.jpg

www.bashplates.de (Scheffelmeier) and www.altrider.com would be my personal top choice to look at for crash bars and skid plates.
Ton's of excellent posts and good threads about the F8GS over at ADVR forum, the F8GS is not very popular over here at RA just yet....

The F8GS low suspension and low seat will be on offer in China as well, apparently the only option coming out of Thailand for the Asian market.
Brilliant but $$$expensive$$$ suspension upgrades available from Ohlins. Was interested in a F8GS at one stage for Red China cruising but got other plans now...

Heidenau Scout K60. For the F 800GS-rear is 2nd from left on top, front second from left bottom

Congrats on your new ride.

Haidenau K60 are excellent tires, I believe you will like them on the F800, they worked well on the HP2 enduro as well...though you find the milage a little less then some others like Metzeler Enduro 3...the price difference makes up for it.

Marzocchi does make some nice forks that work well (unlike the old Marzocchi crappy forks BMW used to put into the F800GS) but they are quite pricy. A cheaper and great alternative to the new WP (even crappier forks) is the Oehlins cartridge kits already available. I have not tried these personally but a friend in Switzerland has installed them and is quite happy with the change.

Congrat's nice colour and tyre choice IMHO, look forward to updates.

Yeah. Doing a lot of research on suspension. I saw Ohlins fork cartridges running at $1800! I think I will start with a decent shock, progressive fork springs and some experimentation with oil weights.

That's great Phil. I was thinking if I sell my Thruxton I may get a Hypermotard, be a perfect combo!

Some good info there Dave, I think i'm going to order one too.

You should get two Phil otherwise it would be lonely plus it would mean you getting shut of the Dakar :lol3

With an oil cooler and filter hanging off the front of the engine it is probably a good idea to fit a skid plate. I like this one from Altrider.

On the F800GS the skid plate uses rubber isolation mounts. The Altrider one uses an ingenious system where the skid plates mounts solidly on the front of the bike but can pivot so the bushes can compress in a linear direction in an impact but will resist shear loads so you don't break the mounts. It also has welded and recessed mount brackets.

None of the other ones uses something similar. It's not cheap, especially when imported as well!

product-contents-altrider-skid-plate-for-bmw-f-800-gs-adventure-black.jpg

There is a Facebook page for the F 88GS. Has some interesting pictures and info but it's in Thai.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1457733534478078/?fref=ts

Here is some interesting pictures and such. Seems they definitely have some finished units. get one up here so we can see it!

BMW ????????? ???????????????? BMW F 800 GS | GRAND PRIX NEWS

- - - Updated - - -

There is a Facebook page for the F 88GS. Has some interesting pictures and info but it's in Thai.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1457733534478078/?fref=ts

Here is some interesting pictures and such. Seems they definitely have some finished units. get one up here so we can see it!

http://www.grandprix.co.th/gpinews/bmw-%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B0%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%A8%E0%B9%84%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%A2-%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%A3/

ลดความสูงของระบบช่วงล่าง เพิ่มความสะดวกในการขับขี่
เพื่อตอบสนองความต้องการอย่างท่วมท้นของลูกค้าบีเอ็มดับเบิลยู F 800 GS บีเอ็มดับเบิลยู มอเตอร์ราด ประเทศไทยนำเสนอโมเดลที่ลดระดับความสูงของระบบช่วงล่างลง โดยเป็นการปรับเปลี่ยนพื้นฐานที่มาพร้อมกับบีเอ็มดับเบิลยู F 800 GS ทุกคัน

Yes, they confirm here that the bike is lowered, for 'more convenient riding'. I was looking for anything about the Adventure model, but nothing. Still amazing to see this bike coming of the production line in a Thailand, how quickly things change! :applause:

Craig, you can get the adventure model. As a full import, over 800,000 baht.......

In the Blue and Res colour schemes it looks like a different bike, very odd. It does look good in gold though.

Apart from larger fuel tank, what extra' s does the adventure have.....? Bad internet here.

"The Adventure model features a larger 24-litre tank (8-litres more than the F800GS), revised bodywork, a larger screen, 10mm taller seat (890mm), hand guards, wide enduro footpegs an engine protection bar and a pannier rack.

BMW claim the larger tank will extend the bike's range by 75 miles, giving it a 220-mile potential. The F800GS Adventure will have the option of ASC and ESA, BMW's Electronic Suspension Adjustment."

Read more: Differences: BMW F800GS vs Adventure - Features - Visordown

You should get two Phil otherwise it would be lonely plus it would mean you getting shut of the Dakar :lol3

Armin's beautiful Dakar is for sale at Joe's (German mech.) Bike Team. Offered for 240,000 Bht looking for offers, it's a beauty.

what 'dakar' speaking of here.any more info_? thnx

Armin's beautiful Dakar is for sale at Joe's (German mech.) Bike Team. Offered for 240,000 Bht looking for offers, it's a beauty.

Bikes are now at Barcelona BMW if anyone wants to check them out!

4 BMW F 800 GS's are currently in the showroom at Barcelona BMW, Chiang Mai

10628529_10153124533888345_4434904246811827668_n.jpg

Keld & Bob like the dark green model, we took it out into the light, still doesn't do it for me, I think the white is the most attractive

10641224_10153124557728345_2130486672010216264_n.jpg

10407757_10153124557448345_3074036467643411642_n.jpg

There are 3 colors available in the BMW F 800 gs - White, dark green & blue. Interesting to see what customers are gravitating to in Chiang Mai, they have sold so far:

Dark green - 9
White - 6
Blue - 2

It is cheaper so There will be some bits here n there on the 'cheaper' side..

And, according to this guy, " … when you get into the turns it just doesn't want to co-operate." (on bitumen)

Read a dozen reviews and you'll get twelve different opinions.

My point was only that for some, the finish of these bikes was not up to the high BMW standard/expectations prior to its manufacture in Thailand.

With an oil cooler and filter hanging off the front of the engine it is probably a good idea to fit a skid plate. I like this one from Altrider.

On the F800GS the skid plate uses rubber isolation mounts. The Altrider one uses an ingenious system where the skid plates mounts solidly on the front of the bike but can pivot so the bushes can compress in a linear direction in an impact but will resist shear loads so you don't break the mounts. It also has welded and recessed mount brackets.

None of the other ones uses something similar. It's not cheap, especially when imported as well!

View attachment 30630

Touratech have just released a similar looking skid plate for the F800GS called the 'Expedition' Touratech Thailand - News - Events - Activities

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

[video=youtube_share;0NmMQiisRv4]http://youtu.be/0NmMQiisRv4[/video]

Price is 13,240฿ inc. VAT.

That skid plate is interesting as it seems to forgo the rubber isolation mounts for solid alloy ones. Maybe better or not?

Is there any clear conclusions as to which aftermarket exhaust is best? Would like to order that now before the F 800 gs arrives.

akro.jpg

Is there any clear conclusions as to which aftermarket exhaust is best? Would like to order that now before the F 800 gs arrives.

View attachment 30949

I don't know the answer Phil, but from reading the reviews on the Revzilla page, this exhaust seems like a lot of money to tweak the sound of the engine without a clear, discernable improvement in performance.

I am going to go for a SC Project exhaust. Sounds great and not crazy prices. It is a nice and neat size too but if you use hard panniers it won't reach out past them. But then if you do get one long enough to reach out past panniers it looks stupid when the panniers are off so I won't be using panniers!

With the skid plate, it bolts directly into the sump so I thought that the rubber isolation bolts would allow it to shear instead of snapping a bolt off in your sump casing?

so Phil, I take it you have one on order then? :)

For those who have ordered, what tyres will your bike come with? Were you given any choice?

I've read that some dealerships in the US offer customers a choice of knobblies or street, others get a brand specific choice, whilst others get no choice at all and told it depends what the factory puts on during that batch.

Back
Top Bottom