BMW F800GS

A few different companies make products for the F800GS. Riders on ADVrider have also been saying good things about this UK company's crash bars:http://http://www.adventure-spec.com/default/adventure-spec-crashbars-bmw-f800gs-f650gs.html

800gs-crash-bars1_zps8ef0f651.jpg

£210

Touratech offer a very sturdy looking 2-piece/part crash bar but the total cost is over 20,000THB and from their Thai website the extension bar is not available in black, which negatively effects the aesthetic of the bike IMO.

Touratech Thailand - Webshop
Touratech Thailand - Webshop

For those who have ordered, what tyres will your bike come with? Were you given any choice?

I've read that some dealerships in the US offer customers a choice of knobblies or street, others get a brand specific choice, whilst others get no choice at all and told it depends what the factory puts on during that batch.

Michelin Anakee 2. No other choice as far as I know. Think it's a pretty good tyre? I've got a set of Heidenau's in the shed ready to fit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 1,002
Looks like the F 800 gs low fuel light will come on at around 250-260km, I'm very interested in this sleek looking aux fuel tank which carries roughly 6 liters or 120km of extra fuel and doesn't look hideous.

Purchase link below:

adventure tank ? SALE!! - save $100 - BMW F800 GS Auxillary Tank - PowderCoated

f800gs_a_501c20f7-faff-4e4b-a468-94c10da2182a_large.jpg

Never before has an efficient design like this been available for long distance riders. Are you one of those people who like to take the path less traveled? It's less traveled because there are no gas stations where you are going. This tank can boost your range to over 300 miles of hard riding.
The all-new F800GS AdvTank carries 1.6 gallons of fuel, and includes the beefy Aluminum Anodized Top Rack.
The fuel delivery system fits right into your existing vent line on your BMW. Fuel is fed from the AdvTank into your stock tank via the vent line. The AdvTank drains first, and then becomes a component in your vent line.
The AdvTank is contructed of heavy duty plastic and has been tested extensively.
There is no need to remove your Carbon Canister.
The kit includes the AdvTank, the PowderCoated Top Plate, and all necessary mounting hardware including posts, bolts, fuel line, vent line, and gas cap.
Click on the link below for detailed installation instructions. (Adobe Acrobat reader required)
Installation Instructions
Note: When re-fueling, be sure to fill your stock tank FIRST, then close the stock gas cap, and ONLY then fill the AdvTank.

f800gs_b_94e1ca70-e424-43c3-87f8-432264afae86_grande.jpg

f800gs_c_08c4669e-5e31-46ef-af0d-f4d750e0de78_grande.jpg

From the back

f800gs_d_9c1585ec-0a77-4087-b1c0-8246fb9013ef_grande.jpg

I like that, sounds like it is linked to the main tank so no need to stop and fill and with the rack above you don't lose much at all, only a couple of inches of height.

I like that, sounds like it is linked to the main tank so no need to stop and fill and with the rack above you don't lose much at all, only a couple of inches of height.

Yep, nice setup. The position of it isnt ideal, but you're only adding 6KG when full to the bike

With the aux. fuel tank so much higher than the main fuel tank and "T'd"/ plumbed into the main tank, when both are full of fuel, if you had a bad seal on the main fuel tanks' fuel cap, wouldnt fuel leak out of the cap with fuel being fed by gravity from the higher aux. fuel tank (unless there is a breather/ overflow/ anti-gravity hose on the main fuel tank lower than the fuel cap, but it would need a high loop above the tank height to stop fuel continually flowing out)?

Yes it would and that wouldn't be a good situation having 6 litres of fuel leaking out of your tank cap! It would be really bad for any mates following you and worse if you stopped to check and one of your mates decided stopping was a good opportunity to have a cigarette!

They must be putting great faith in that cap. It's not uncommon to see fuel leaking from filler caps when a bike is on it's side.

I'd really think having a fuel tap on it would be preferable.

I suppose very simple to splice a fuel tap into the aux. tank delivery hose.

Yes it would and that wouldn't be a good situation having 6 litres of fuel leaking out of your tank cap! It would be really bad for any mates following you and worse if you stopped to check and one of your mates decided stopping was a good opportunity to have a cigarette!

They must be putting great faith in that cap. It's not uncommon to see fuel leaking from filler caps when a bike is on it's side.

I'd really think having a fuel tap on it would be preferable.

For me, basic additions to be installed when it arrives:

Hand guards

Barkbusters Handguards Kit BHG40.2-NP 2013 BMW F700GS + F800GS + Yamaha XT1200z Super Tenere

bb_bhg40.2-np_3_1.jpg

Sump guard/ bash plate

High priority to protect that vulnerable oil filter, as with so many bikes these days

adventure spec bashplate protection crashbars bashplate bmw f650gs f800gs

guard-it-bp0017b_1.jpg

Crash bars

Not even sure if this bike needs them, could almost get away with some sliders as it's so narrow?

adventure spec bashplate protection crashbars crashbars bmw f650gs f800gs

guard-it-cb0017-bike2.jpg

Tempted to go with frame sliders

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/8600987.html

8600987a.jpg

I think the bars might be overkill???

8600987d.jpg

Clear plastic headlight guard

Quick Release Clear Headlight Guard, BMW F800GS/ADV/F700GS/F650GS(Twin) - Touratech-USA

Not a fan of the wire mesh guards, this plastic one should be perfect - USD$ 130 for a tiny piece of perspex!

01-048-5090-0_2.JPG

Power outlet adapter

Really annoying adapter needed for 12V use on the bike, why can't they use a standard 12V car jack?????Powerlet Battery Tender & Yuasa Charging Cable

pl_ppc-018.jpg

Radiator guard

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/altrider-bmw-f800gs-radiator-guard

[video=youtube_share;VAeSN48zHhE]http://youtu.be/VAeSN48zHhE[/video]

& the aux. rear fuel tank above, thats all i'm doing.

f800gs_a_501c20f7-faff-4e4b-a468-94c10da2182a_large.jpg

Giant loop luggage will work, the bag just misses the fuel tank cap, so no big panniers needed.

I really don't need another bike, but this model still really interests me. Part of the 'not needing' is the fact that my CRF 250L does everything I need at the moment and I enjoy my rides. It's light, goes off road, handles the road adequately and is as cheap as chips to run and maintain.

The interest is fuelled by, "Well WTF you only live once, why not just buy what you want and enjoy it" and well it will be more comfortable for longer trips and... Well that's about all I can come up with, 600K for comfort, but see my previous reason.

Anyway, keeping up with the thread and reading the F800GS forum threads on the internet. Interested to see how others get on with this bike.

Emailed Touratech Thailand about fitting their products, below is the reply. Thought others might find it useful if considering fitting their F800GS with this company's products in Thailand:

Good afternoon Mr. Craig

I would like to inform you that we have installation service by expert mechanic. But the price that shown on website is not include. The cost of service is depend on category or quantity of product that you buy.

Should it be any question please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you & Best Regards,

Somjin S.

Craig, I am a bit like you as I have a CRF 250 also but I don't much like doing long trips on it. I will keep it for around town and heavier off road work. I actually bought it on an impulse, I split up with a girlfriend and thought to myself- "stuff it, I'm outta here!" So now I have just the bike to do it on. I've been hoping a locally produced adventure style bike would come on the market for a long time though.

Good list Phil, I'll be doing pretty much the same. You got me wondering whether to fit frame sliders or go the bar work route, I'm on the fence there. I'm trying to source stuff locally for them and hopefully save a little in duty shipping it in. Panda rider in BKk do SW Motech stuff which is nice, their bark busters look good. I'm in Europe right now so may try and get stuff here. I'll be in Gibraltar for 6 weeks so may be able to get stuff from the UK down there. I'd like a SC Project pipe and a skid plate at least.

Been doing some research on suspension. Ohlins makes a pretty good "budget" rear shock and can get one out of Bkk for 22,000 trying to find out if I can get a spring rate for my weight first though. I can also get Ohlins fork springs for around 5000. I'd like to fit them as it will raise the bike to the normal height, these Thai built ones are lowered remember.

... You got me wondering whether to fit frame sliders or go the bar work route, I'm on the fence there...

Whole long thread on ADVrider about the different crash bars out there for these bikes Crash Bars On Your F650 / F800 - ADVrider From some of the pics of the bars after road offs, I know what I'd want protecting my bike. It is interesting to see the variation in bar design. The Adventure Spec bars really stick out from the bike in the photos (p.3 of the thread), so if you want something less intrusive you may want to stay away from these. Lots of other manufacturers to choose from.

In a bizarre way I find the large amount of photos of the GS laying on its side on the ADVrider site really appealing. It says to me, "This bike encourages its riders to go off-road and have fun, even if it means the odd slide in the mud now and again!" :clapping:

Ive found a mob in the UK that sell both the Alt rider skid plates and rack I like as well as Wolfman luggage I am interested in:

Motorcycle Accessories : Tank Bags : Luggage : Heated Grips : Panniers : 12v Plugs, Sockets & Cables

Here's their Bkackhawk tank bag. It's a good size and fit for the 8GS and doesn't get in the way while standing up on the pegs.
image.jpg

I also would like this tail bag:

image.jpg

Looks to be a good size for a few days on the road and not to big for day trips even. Any longer trips and I will strap another bag on the seat.

This stuff gets very good reviews but I also like that SW motech luggage system as well.

one thing with ordering gear from the UK I find the prices nearly the same in pounds as in dollars in the US! But hopefully with one shipment into Gibraltar which is still the UK I won't get hit with any duty and I can carry the gear in.

Tell me about those UK prices. I'm currently buying into the GoPro ecosphere and the prices are £ for $!

I've been using Kriega US bags for the past few months. No complaints. Good gear, looks understated, waterproof. Recommended. I also have the R8 waist pack (bumbag/fannypack). All from Panda BKK.

Oh great. I'd prefer to buy stuff in Thailand if it is even a little cheaper than elsewhere. I'll check out the Kreiga stuff.

Just visited the German Auto BMW dealership on the Bangna-Trad Road close to the Central Dept. Store. Fairly new dealership, which sells cars, bikes and Minis. It's 5 mins from my place.

They have three F800GSs, one of each colour. A Thai couple were collecting a white model previously ordered so the sales assistant was busy counting the money and taking them through the controls. Didn't get to ask anything.

Heard the engine running and the guy being told the bike bike takes gasohol 91 or 95. I agree the plastics look cheap. I was comparing it with the two foreign assembled 1200 GSs they had on show, which looked smoother with less of a 'just come out of the mould look'. The mirrors seemed small and particularly cheap and nasty.

I'm 181cm and I could easily flat foot whilst sitting on the bike even with my knees slightly bent and wearing flip-flops on my feet. I've heard in videos riders stating the lowered seat is more comfortable than the standard height, which can't be a bad thing.

The kalamata coloured bike was fitted with BMW boxes, skid plate and bars. The chrome/silver bars suit this coloured bike better than the white I think. The colour grows on you but I'm not particularly struck by any of the current colours. I prefer the orange/black or yellow/black (bumble bee) colours of previous years. Who knows what the colour schemes for next year will be!

Interesting FB page "BMW F800GS THAILAND" They have someone selling Remus cat free headers for B8000! I also saw Rox handle risers which I will need to add. Seems like there are a lot of parts available in Thailand, it is in Thai so don't know the shop.

It's worth keeping in mind that a lot of custom headers will foul aftermarket skid plates.

Interesting FB page "BMW F800GS THAILAND" They have someone selling Remus cat free headers for B8000! I also saw Rox handle risers which I will need to add. Seems like there are a lot of parts available in Thailand, it is in Thai so don't know the shop.

Yes, took a look. Lots of gear on there. Looks like the local riders are enjoying their F800GS's already! :)

Some of the stuff is cheap. The post on 5th Sept with the blue bike is about P-tech fog lights with housing. The guy is in Rama 5, Nonthaburi. 4,500฿ inc. fitting.

Ive been trying to look at interlectural info on ADVr about the BMW F 800 gs. The problem is that every specific topic turns into pages of waffle and its not an efficient use of research time.

Wouldn't call this short YouTube clip intellectual', in fact it's rather bizarre and a little surreal, but it does show the bike in action, albeit in an edited video

[video=youtube_share;cL-E_QHNExw]http://youtu.be/cL-E_QHNExw[/video]

Checked out what BMW F 800 gs stock the burning shop actually has. He is waiting for:

Aftermarket exhausts
Engine bars
Suspension parts

In stock he had, 2 types of belly pan/ sump protectors. The carbon version was 9,500 Bht

20140910_093615 by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Frame sliders (after a real close look, I think the radiator corners are too vulnerable and it does need engine bars there to protect the radiator) 6,500 Bht

20140910_093545 by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Windscreen 6,500 Bht

20140910_093555 by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Anyone seen these powerlet stuff around Thailand? The 8gs has a powerlet outlet next to the ignition. They make all sorts of connections and cables but gets expensive. I like the way you can fit an adaptor plate on a tank bag.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 693
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 728
1st class/ fully comprehensive insurance 27,000 Bht

Through Barcelona BMW, Chiang Mai, 1st class/ fully comprehensive insurance annual premium is 27,000 Bht. For the Ducati Hypermotard 821, which is 30,000 Bht cheaper, the annual premium is 20,000 Bht.

I will check other underwriters before signing up to their insurance program.

1st class/ fully comprehensive insurance 27,000 Bht

Through Barcelona BMW, Chiang Mai, 1st class/ fully comprehensive insurance annual premium is 27,000 Bht. For the Ducati Hypermotard 821, which is 30,000 Bht cheaper, the annual premium is 20,000 Bht.

I will check other underwriters before signing up to their insurance program.

Pricey. I saw Thais discussing similar prices on the FB group last week but just looked again and couldn't find the specific posts. Whilst looking I saw one guy discussing the finance details of his bike. For those here who are buying, are you paying cash or on the never never? Just wondering what/if finance is being offered to foreigners. 50% down like cars?

If you are buying on finance, you normally have to have fully comprehensive insurance, would be crazy if it wasn't a requirement.

Pricey. I saw Thais discussing similar prices on the FB group last week but just looked again and couldn't find the specific posts. Whilst looking I saw one guy discussing the finance details of his bike. For those here who are buying, are you paying cash or on the never never? Just wondering what/if finance is being offered to foreigners. 50% down like cars?

Just found the FB post. Hopefully you can make out that other riders are paying similar prices for their insurance.

5615f9c94f31a18faa45ca745664a011_zps8518d045.jpg

Today we went to a Dutch BMW dealer to check out the 800GS, I felt quite comfortable and Pun also liked it.

They had both the standard and the Adventure version in the showroom.
The Adventure version has (amongst other options) the Comfort Seat which felt more comfortable two up than the standard GS seat.
Extra price for that seat when ordered from the factory is Euro 118, when ordered separate it's Euro 312 (including 21% VAT).

The normal seat height in Europe is 880mm, with the Comfort Seat 895mm.
I guess the Thai assembled version is the lowered version with a 820mm seat height?
Is it possible to order the 880mm seat height in Thailand??

There is a 4 page booklet in Dutch with all sorts of extra's and accessories.
If someone is interested just let me know and I will translate and type up the options/extra's.

Was at Panda Rider this afternoon. Nice SW-Motech fitted out F800 GS parked outside, took a few shots. Notice how both wheels are touching the ground on the centre stand.

8f3ccde186d21a50f577ce530c5aa383_zps1b27ea31.jpg

65256bf82a387a135400d84507f73dee_zps767e15b9.jpg

b45c64e631bc0e01ea755c236429c8ac_zps3237c459.jpg

38ddf6d6ce6125c948dfa1656f92bdc6_zpsfd4791b6.jpg

59d956b32876a97d722bf2e8b28dcdd4_zps86e0c73d.jpg

I like the look of the skid plate. Price is 8,900฿, which is almost 5,000฿ cheaper than the Touratech plate. This plate is 2.5mm thick, the Touratech model is 4mm thick. Would have been nice to see the crash bars fitted too.

Last edited:
Mine came today, paid the 27,000 Bht for fully comprehensive insurance. Now to find out what tools are needed to get the wheels off (no wheel removal tools come with the bike) & then spend stupid amounts of money on accessories.

10644517_10153208140818345_6043093688099560912_o.jpg

Very nice Phil. Watched this video last night. These 'players' have some enjoyable adventures on their bikes in Canada. Hope it's useful to you.

Got the new beast home and time to get organized. It doesnt come with many tools - screwdriver, star head keys to take off the body fasteners & a wrench that i havent figured out what it fits.

Important to be able to get the wheels off, looks like 17mm for front axle nut & 24mm for rear axle. Ring spanner 24mm doesn't have enough clearance to get on the nut, you need an open ended one.

Gave a shot at getting the basics under the seat - pump, 17mm & 24mm wrenches, cable ties & a 19 " inner tube (can be used in the 17" rear tire too). Wrapped in rags to stop chafe and chatter.

All too tight and the seat won't sit correctly

WP_20140919_12_41_22_Pro.jpg by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

There is a rear cavity to the back of the seat that can be used, always useful to have wire tires, good place for them for now

WP_20140919_12_47_48_Pro.jpg by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Great news Phil. I will look forward to reading some hands on views about the bike! Still no sign of my Kalamata one! But I won't be able to swing a leg over it until mid November anyway.....

Are there no other options on insurance? 27k sounds a bit excessive!

Great news Phil. I will look forward to reading some hands on views about the bike! Still no sign of my Kalamata one! But I won't be able to swing a leg over it until mid November anyway.....

Saw that the Kalamata is being dropped next year and appearing on the GSA. Don't particularly like either of the two GS colours, but again the white looks better IMO, even though the red frame belongs on a Hypermotard, not an ADV bike.

78fd2b4e7190063545f17f30829a85b8_zpsae24940b.jpg

bc8ea2121f3e05fe9923293bebadd0df_zps05d894cf.jpg

e267403d0660b94b517a90a2e75925b9_zps2aa028c1.jpg

All images from https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/glob...lId=6&id=T0185704EN&left_menu_item=node__6629

Back
Top Bottom