BKK to Vietnam and Back Again - Border Crossings & Paperwork

DJKNOX

Bikes
Honda Phantom
Recently I traveled on my own Thai-registered motorbike fromBangkok thru Cambodia, Southern & Central Laos, the entirety of Vietnam andthen back thru Northern Laos and Northern Thailand. This forum was very helpful to me in learningabout the condition of roads and the intricacies of SE Asian bordercrossings. I offer here some insight onhow those border crossings need to be handled... and the paperwork needed.
Leaving Thailand
To leave Thailand, one must obtain a temporary export permitat the border crossing. I was able to getone for a 6 month duration, but with the standard being 30 days, this must bepersistently requested. The documentsone needs is the green ownership book that states you are the bike’s owner.
Entering & Leaving Cambodia
Upon the advice of some on this forum, which is “neverwillingly visit Cambodian Customs,” I exited Cambodian Immigration with theintent of bypassing Customs. This wassuccessful until I drove 1 km down the road where Cambodian officials stopped toinspect my documents. When they askedabout my Custom’s documents, I simply said that I was told it wasn’tneeded. This seemed to be adequate tothe inspector. Had he sent me back toCustoms, I am not sure what result may have materialized. Cambodian regulations are unclear on thismatter. Upon exiting Cambodia, Iproceeded past Customs and was processed thru Cambodian Immigration.
Entering & Leaving Laos (twice)
Laos required the bike’s ownership in the name of thedriver. The green book MAY besufficient, but to ensure acceptance, an official English translation of theowner’s permit, provided by the Thai Department of Transportation. At the Cambodian border, the Customs agentwanted to see the Thai temporary export document before he would issue atemporary import document for my bike. Isuppose this Thai document offers assurance about my intent not to sell itinside Cambodia. At the Vietnameseborder, only the Green Book and the English translation was requested… and noimport document was actually issued. Neithercrossing requested that I have Laos 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party liability insurance…although technically I think it is a requirement to drive in Laos. This can be bought from any LVI officeanywhere inside Laos.
Entering & Leaving Vietnam
Vietnam used to allow foreigners to enter with their ownvehicle without much paperwork. A newpolicy was implemented circa 2013 that foreigners were no longer allowed toenter without a pre-approved temporary import permit… issued only in Hanoi fromthe Vietnamese Department of Transportation. I think there are some other posts concerning this. Even the Vietnamese Consulate in BKK does notclearly understand this requirement, nor can they aid in getting such adocument… but as far as I understand, there is no longer flexibility on thismatter. Note that it is NOT clear to mewhether travelers with a Carnet du Passage are exempt… but I did meet onetraveler who could not enter Vietnam with his vehicle even though he had aCarnet issued in the UK. I also do notknow whether Laos or Cambodian bikes with Laos or Cambodian owners fall underdifferent rules. I suspect they aregrouped in with all the rest.
I next tried contacting the Vietnamese DOT and got noresponse. Out of desperation I contacteda former Vietnamese business associate who lives in Hanoi. He contacted the DOT and sorted out what wasrequired. Below is a summary of theDOT’s requirements as it applies to tourists seeking to temporarily importtheir own vehicle:

- Ownership proof in the name of the person ridingthe motorbike (or passenger vehicle)
- Bike Licensing details, including make, model,color, serial numbers, plates etc
- Copy of passport matching the ownership andVietnam Visa valid for the entirety of the planned visit
- Copy of valid health insurance of the driverwhile in Vietnam
- Copy of Theft insurance of the vehicle while inVietnam
- International Driver’s Permit & theassociated root driver’s license (must be a motorcycle license for amotorcycle, passenger vehicle for a car etc.)
- A safety inspection certificate
- Place and Date of Desired Entry to Vietnam
- Place of Exit from Vietnam
- A listing of provinces to be visited
- Requirement that entry is for the purpose oftourism as guided by a registered Vietnamese travel company.
All of the documents MUST be fully translated intoVietnamese for submission to the DOT at least 1 week in advance of the entrydate. The permit is issued for a max 30days, with a 10 day extension allowable.
I learned from my Hanoi contact that the “guided” requirementhas wiggle room. The application mustinvolve a travel company and a representative of that company must be presentduring border crossings to satisfy border customs. In the end my contact graciously took care ofall the facilitations and fees free of charge and I only had to pay for a fewdays travel to/from Hanoi and my points of entry/exit for my “guide.” Otherwise, I was free to do as I pleasedinside Vietnam. I did not have to change plates, keeping my own. I wasnever stopped by any police despite having Thai Plates and both the entry and exit process went verysmoothly and quickly. The onlyinconvenience was the 30 day limit and the inflexibility of the dates/ports ofentry/exit once declared. This forced meto plan a route and stick to it. I thusentered and exited Vietnam from two different border crossings on the datesrequested.
For anyone wanting to travel in Vietnam with their ownmotorbike of any size, you must be prepared to offer up all the documents, seta specific entry and exit itinerary, and pay probably several hundred dollarsfor the translations, bureaucratic applications, and guide transits to/from theborders you choose. As far as I know,only Hanoi companies are interested in this business. Your costs will be reduced if the ports ofentry/exit are close to Hanoi… as opposed to Danang or Saigon for example. So for the time being, casual short-durationvisits to Vietnam are no longer practical nor economical, unless you’re in alarge group that can distribute the costs.

Re-entering Thailand
As I returned within the 6 months, I do not know whatpenalties may apply for being late… or for not returning at all. The only thing that happened at the Thaiborder was a disbelief that someone wanted to travel for so long! But it was all reconciled upon the customagent’s reflection that I was a Farang.

Thanks a lot for the detailed information, look's at least for now Vietnam is still a real hassle to enter unless like yourself you are able to contact an associate within Vietnam to do the leg work for you.

Yes, that is a lot of work to get into Vietnam on your own bike in particular if you don't have an associate to help you. Flamingo Bike Rental in Hanoi can do all the leg work for you but at a cost of 1100 USD which seems to be a lot of money but if you go in a groups it should be OK as the fee is the same for a group of riders so with 5 people the fee per person would be about 220 USD. More info here: Border-crossing-into-vietnam-motorbike.html

Back
Top Bottom