Assaulted twice in 2 days in BKK with family present

monsterman

its taken me a few days to get my head together for this post

over the weekend I was guest of the RBSC Royal bangkok sporting polo club where my daughter was competing in a show jumping contest , its a very Hiso environment and was very enjoyable as was the arranged accomodation at the Sheraton .

ubfortunately the weekend was marred by 2 very disturbing incidents ,
first was on saturday night at one my Thai nieces apartment block down by the river not far from satorn road ,we had just seen her and her roommate another nurse to their rooms when a thai man attacked me with a meat cleaver , he was ''growling Farang GO home''
and only a very fast dodge past him slaming a large plant pot accross his path and running down the stairs into the street prevented serious injury or worse , the guy persued me for about 50 m and then he must have run out of puff ? i went into a 7-11 and waited for the cops to arrive , my daughter and her cousin had called them . We ended up at local cop shop and they had arrested the Thai guy , he was not drunk or on drugs he is 38 years old and is the apartment block manager , still dont know what his motive was but so many witnesses and a couple of HISO heavy hitters from the POLO club and PTT are making damn sure that i get a proper explanation and justice ,
next morning sunday we watched my daughter in the dressage her performance was off probably down to the ugly scenes from previous evening then we went for lunch at century 21 mall , fine but on the way back to RBSC for afternoon show jumping event s , our taxi driver took a call which i overheard as a pickup for him at suvarnabhumi , unexpectedly he stopped the car in middle of sukhumvit road and started shouted ''GET OUT NOW I GO AIRPORT '' , so we did then he demands 200 baht ..the meter says 35 baht so i hand him40 bt . dont want and trouble , thats when he kicks me in the stomach and slaps my daughter when she tried to intervene ,he then gets back in his taxi . and drives off . we hailed another cab who took us to lumpini police station and we reported the cab driver ,my daughter had a photo on her phone of the cab and 3 thai street vendors all offered themselves as witnesses .

One of the commitee members from RBSC came down to the police station seems he is a retired army general so we were given really attentive time and Kat was able to go and ride well to come 3rd in the intermediate showjumping ,
taxi driver was arrested at Suvarnabhumi and will be prosecuted for assult and has lost his cab license .

What bugs me is that I was out with my family and not pissed up or looking for any problems and have always considered Bangkok to be be a safe place , both these incident could have ended fatally and it has made me very concerned .

I work in many dodgy place s this year , Nigeria, congo etc
my Good thai friends are very shocked and shamed by what happened this last weekend in Bangkok

my wife , daughter , family members are all very upset about this horrible experience , my daughter i am very proud of her has handled it well

My brother in law is a senior executive at PTT and has assured me that between him and the RBSC people the police will not drop or fudge the cases , but I really need answers .

jerry

Jerry, that is really disturbing. I have lived in Bangkok for about 6 years and never had big problems while all the years while living here in Chiangmai things have been also relatively peaceful. Maybe also, because when I lived in Bangkok in an area with lots of foreigners and backpackers (Phra Atit Rd.) that people were used to foreigners and their habits.

I do know that at the moment quite a few people here in the north are stressed out as they have more and more problems to make ends meet as the costs of living seem to go up quite fast while the income does not rise as fast. Don't know if that is also a big problem in Bangkok but anyway, I hope that the police will do their job properly this time and find out what the motives were in your two cases so you will get some answers.

Auke

Jerry, that is really disturbing. I have lived in Bangkok for about 6 years and never had big problems while all the years while living here in Chiangmai things have been also relatively peaceful. Maybe also, because when I lived in Bangkok in an area with lots of foreigners and backpackers (Phra Atit Rd.) that people were used to foreigners and their habits.

I do know that at the moment quite a few people here in the north are stressed out as they have more and more problems to make ends meet as the costs of living seem to go up quite fast while the income does not rise as fast. Don't know if that is also a big problem in Bangkok but anyway, I hope that the police will do their job properly this time and find out what the motives were in your two cases so you will get some answers.

Auke

Here is the answer you don't want but you need to hear: If you think Bang-cock is a safe place to bring children you should try watch less TV. Other places you should not bring your children are Pattaya, Detroit's ghettos, Baghdad etc.

The word "farang" is a name, not always intended as an insult but still a name no matter what your prostitute tells you. When I am called "farang" I call them "gook" back, works for me. Westerners that describes them self or other westerners as "farangs" makes them self look like village idiots. Sorry for the harsh words but this thread made me believe that a reality check was due.

Little harsh no ?? I think hes been here long enough to know the potential miss use of farang.

I used to seem to be a conflict magnet in Phuket.. Odd shit would happen to me for no reason, people doing thing that back home you wouldnt hesitate to swing for them for etc.. Stuff you just wouldnt believe for no reason. One of the reasons why living up north is a less stress environment, I havent had any conflict in a long while.

Will be interesting to hear the motive behind the meat-cleaver swaying Thai guy.
I think you did well to avoid some form of injury in both cases. Not sure what I would have done in the meat-cleaver situation, hopefully get out of it the same as you, but the taxi driver I would have payed him f*** all and gave him a square go, but that's just me. well done for keeping yourself and your family safe.

Wow, that's dreadful news. Hope it will never repeat itself either.
But it shows, you can't get too comfortable in a foreign country. As there is always one or two idiots out to ruin your stay.

Stay safe.

But it shows, you can't get too comfortable in a foreign country.

Totally disagree, it's all a matter of integrating yourself in the country. Same goes for everyone in every country.

Also regarding the ฝรั่ง term I don't agree, it is mostly used as a cute/funny word with no bad intention, and most people in "serious" conversations will use คนต่างชาติ

คน
speaker_sm.gif
khohn Mperson; guy; people; man; human being
ต่างชาติ
speaker_sm.gif
dtaang L chaat Fforeign; expatriate; alien

Totally disagree, it's all a matter of integrating yourself in the country. Same goes for everyone in every country.

If you are of a foreign race in a high crime area it will not matter how well you have integrated yourself. The guy with the meat cleaver would not have cared if you could speak Thai, if you can cook tom yum, if you know all Thai holidays etc.

Also regarding the ฝรั่ง term I don't agree, it is mostly used as a cute/funny word with no bad intention, and most people in "serious" conversations will use คนต่างชาติ

I agree that it may be used a cute/funny word with no bad intention but it is still a name and I think most westerners do not know this. If you know that the person who talks to you refers to you as guava fruit it sure helps you assess the situation. If you walked into a bar in USA/EU and a group of people in there would burst out "look, a bunch of fruits" you would keep your guard up and you should do the same here. Westerners come to Thailand and pay a prostitutes to tell them what they want to hear like: "You handsome sexy man","You are not fat, you are cuddly","farang only means foreigner, the screaming guy with the meat cleaver only make joke with you","I am 18 and l just love 60 year old men","I am a virgin, I started to work here 5 minutes ago","Thai men are all bad, I want an old, fat, bald foreigner, they are all good men" and way too many believes it.

Thailand is a wonderful place to spend your holiday or retirement but that does not justify holding Thais to a lower standard.

I read this story to my thai GF and she said "there must be more to this story than what he is telling you" and that maybe he was making some sort of negative gestures with his body language and or facial expressions? No disrespect, just wondering how two such horrible acts can happen in the span of 48 hours to one person?

Nightrider 70 , i understand thailand pretty well been coming here for 20 years and living here for 15.
i think you should read my comments before posting , My daughter is Thai , she is 14 we live in Pattaya , she has a pro modelling contract in BKK for a big agency earns 16-25k baht a day when she works doing commercials and promos , she is also doing film work already ,she a top student speaks 4 languages gets aGPA of 3,6 and rides horses at intermedite level in asean region competitions as well as being a black belt 2nd dan taekwondo all achieved in Thailand , I am not some green tourist i work all over the world often i dangerous place s and know how to blend in , I understand the ' Farang ' word and it does not bother me at all , i have had my share of problems and adventures in thailand but in both these cases I was completely in harmony with my environment ,non threatening and polite , had not even engaged either of the violators in any negative conversation ,eye contact , etc etc

KMA I hear what you say ,,,,and i too wonder if i did anything wrong but see update below , some Thais who were witnesses and our lawyer have a interesting theory that i was invading the meat cleavers personal space by being in ''his'' building sort of like a dog pack thing , but its a public space and i was legally invited inby my neice and with my family all thais ,,,, no the attack was only directed at me ...that does not wash with me at all .

update below makes it a little clearer I think ???

Taxi driver is now offering confession and begging for forgiveness Thai style ,seems the call he got was a pickup from airport to Korat , thats why he wanted up out the taxi quick , but prosecutor has pointed out that the route to the airport passed our intended destination which was on 0.7km away ,there was no traffic jams and another 3 minutes and all would be fine , also it seems he has a criminal record for previous assaults and his license was a fake ? but the taxi company may step in as ? a man with criminal record should not get taxi license according to Thai law!!!!(TIT) and that is a big problem for the taxi company now ,so looks like real jail time for him , the case can be fast tracked if he confesses and some money changes hands by his employers who will definitley want to make this problem go away ,,,,My wife suggested 500k for us as a starting point ...hmmm?

In both cases police & court have stated to my lawyer that I am a victim totally not at fault and have no reporting requirments or restrictions , I can come and go Thailand as i please same applies to my family .

The other guy is being a real idiot , he is making up all sorts of contradictory statements , and also insulted the judge at the first pre trial bail hearing ,he claims i was in the building to rape his sister ???? he thought i was a burglar? i insulted Bhudda,the king , Thailand ??? , cops and prosecutor are having none of it there are actually 14 witness statements from independant people in the apartment block alone as well as my wifes, daughter , neice and her friends statements and all confirm that he is lying ..... 2 women in the block actually have filed complaints about him for assault and sexual molestation yesterday . and one elderly man has filed a complaint of assault .... probably due to the thug being locked up .....he is a very scary looking individual .seems he only has one eye as well.

my lawyer says this case one will not be fast tracked as the guy is pissing off the authorities , so its not looking good for him .

I was planning to ride upcountry for this weekend ride out CMX for a few days but my mind set is just not up to it so I am just working on my wifes 250 rebel restoration which is almost complete its lookin almost new and may go to bang saen bike and car show on saturday and ride the back hills of rayong

I did read your comment. I simply do not think Pattaya and such places are good for children.

I did read your comment. I simply do not think Pattaya and such places are good for children.

Just a question, did you have prior knowledge the guy in the apartment block was molesting women and assaulting old people?

Attachments

• image-2832585192.jpg
    image-2832585192.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 316
Monsterman- Thanks for the update. Things are much clearer now. Seems you were just in the wrong place, with the wrong people at the wrong time, TWICE!! Hope justice is served and you and yours get through this ordeal OK

Although you certainly were unlucky - because of how you acted after both incidents, you may well be saving other people from having problems with these 2 guys in the future.

No prior knowledge , never been to the apartment block before ,,,never saw the guy until the moment he appeared with meat cleaver and shouting and growling ,

yeah well we handled the situation was m,ade a lot easier , having some well connected and sympathetic Thais on hand ,,,cant count on that ,

police have a CCTV copy of the taxi drivers assault I have not seen it yet but is very conclusive according to my lawyer , shows us moving away from taxi and driver running round onto the pavement pushing me over kicking me 2 times and it then shows him slapping Kat as she moves to help me then kat kicking the guy twice as she tried to help me, he may have been hurt as he moved away real quick , I hope to see the CCTV next week when i go to BKK

Wow, that's great news. If this were a 1st world country you'd be looking at some major lawsuit big bucks coming your way

Back
Top Bottom