Big Bikes on Thai trains

CraigBKK

Bikes
Honda CRF 1000L, 300L, SH 150
I've taken my Honda CRF 250L from Bangkok to both Chiang Mai and Nong Khai over the past months. Paid a little less than 1,100฿ each single journey, no hassles, great.

Probably like a lot of other riders I'm excited by the introduction of BMW's F800 GS and the chatter of a new African Twin or even the release of a KLR650 here in Thailand.

However, as I always begin from Bangkok and don't want to waste a day either end of a trip riding through flat paddy fields my question is: has anyone taken a larger bike on a train in Thailand? Is it allowed? What are the costs etc? Any other considerations / advice?

Just weighing up the personal practicalities and viability of owning an mid sized adventure bike and living in BKK.

Many thanks!

Craig - I know many many people that have taken their big bikes (BMW 1200 gs's) on the train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai. From what I hear is try be involved in the process of loading, securing & (if you can) unloading the bike. The securing on the train is important as you want to make sure your bike is stable and also nothing else in its vicinity will be able to touch your bike (even touching will chafe with the vibration over 10 hours). I would put something like a riding jacket over my fuel tank for safety. Watch and find out who is in charge of the cargo area on the train where your bike is, make yourself know to him and give him some tea money to keep an eye on the bike. If you follow these steps I think you should be ok.

Thanks Phil. Still weighing up the possibilities and practicalities. The ever expanding Thai ADV bike market is presenting me with dilemmas I could only have dreamt of having a few years ago!

Thanks Phil. Still weighing up the possibilities and practicalities. The ever expanding Thai ADV bike market is presenting me with dilemmas I could only have dreamt of having a few years ago!

So true:

Suzuki V-Strom 650 - 350,000 Bht

BMW F 800 gs - 530,000 Bht

Triumph 800 XC - 800,000 Bht

Ducati Multistrada - 1,000,000 Bht

BMW 1200 gs - 1,200,000 Bht

Kawasaki KLR 650 - Rumored next year around 310,000 Bht

I'd be taking some decent bits of rope to secure the bike as the trains only seem to have bits of nylon string.
Probably even take my own racket tie downs and something to protect from rubbing against what's in the vicinity.

Back
Top Bottom