Big big trips, what's in your medical kit?

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
With Asia being one of the most dangerous regions in the world to ride a motorcycle, the odds of an accident increase dramatically. Being prepared, being able to clean and dress wounds takes a lot of drama out of the situation.

For cross border, several thousand KM tours, we carry a pretty extensive kit.

What do you carry?

image by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Phil

Now you need to list what's in your kit? And, how often to you change out the pharmaceutical items. This latter is a real concern here what with the temperature.

A few years ago I bought that kit from the guy in Ubon, carry it in our Toyota van, haven't changed out anything but reckon the bandages are still OK.

For upcountry Lao trips, I just have a small emergency kit in my bag. I don't really get much off the semi main drags as 4-wheeling so not really too far from a Lao medical facility.

Speaking of medical facilities, ran into the clinic in Phonsavan that has an English speaking doc, not great English, but OK. East of the Bamboozle eatery about a five minute walk, other side of the road, about opposite Soi 3.

Mac

Always carry a small waterproof first aid kit. Luckily don't get to use it much.
6d98abc3c0df7f4ca2369f4051c7ff72.jpg

Sent from my HUAWEI CUN-L22 using Tapatalk

When i get an hour free ill pull everything out and list it.

Phil

Now you need to list what's in your kit? And, how often to you change out the pharmaceutical items. This latter is a real concern here what with the temperature.

A few years ago I bought that kit from the guy in Ubon, carry it in our Toyota van, haven't changed out anything but reckon the bandages are still OK.

For upcountry Lao trips, I just have a small emergency kit in my bag. I don't really get much off the semi main drags as 4-wheeling so not really too far from a Lao medical facility.

Speaking of medical facilities, ran into the clinic in Phonsavan that has an English speaking doc, not great English, but OK. East of the Bamboozle eatery about a five minute walk, other side of the road, about opposite Soi 3.

Mac

The main concern in many Asian countries is the slower response time of emergency personnel to arrive at accident scene. For this as long as you have good first aid training, a basic kit should be ok. The main item to carry would be bandages to stop bleeding and immobilize broken limbs. Other than basic first aid you may want to add some OTC medications to deal with pain (pain killer), influenza, fever and food poisoning/ diarrhea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom