Gasolin with 91 Octane in a Big Bike (North Lao)

akhzander

Bikes
R1200GS LC
Hi,

I have clocked several thousends of kilometers in Lao on my R 1200 GSA with the old aircooled engine and she did not like the poor gasoline in Lao at all (pinging was clearly existing).
Now I have bought the new R 1200 GS LC and my plan is to go again to North Lao.
With the new engine (more hp) I am more concerned about the lousy gasoline quality in Lao.
I just recently found Octane Plus from Liqui Moly on the Motor Expo in Bangkok. It's pricy but the bike is not cheap either.

My question is: Has somebody here expiriences with this type of Octane Booster?
Is there anything what could harm the engine? Does this stuff do anything at all or is it a big marketing scam?

If you have used it please let me know your expiriences.

In Europe this is not a topic since 91 Gasoline is not available anymore and even in the last remote corner of this continent you can buy 95 or even 98 Gasoline.

octane plus.jpg

Thanks.

Greetings Andreas
footer.jpg

I would be very warey of these fuel additives, most modern fuels have additives of some description already (or so they claim) 91 which is the only octane available in laos is getting better and real gas stations appear, although i am pretty sure the new PTT in Hongsa was selling 95 last month.

Have to say i am surprised your BM is struggling with it being fuel injected it should be able to handle most fuels. Also if you decide to go with these types of additives imagine how many you need to carry on longer trips.....

Hi Bob,

the old model had really a pinging if you open the trottle to fast but for her the recommended octane rate was 97 and in Europe Super Plus is no problem at all as well as in Singapore or Malaysia. In Thailand the 95 Gasoline she took without any problems but the petrol in Lao were really not powerful enough. With the new model I have no clue yet because have clocked 3000 km only around BKK with always 95 Gasoline from Caltex or PTT in the Tank. For the new model 95 is now recomended (at least in my thai service booklet).

You need 60 ml additive for 20 l gasoline equal to 300 km riding. Bought 4 cans with 150 ml each equal to appr. 3000 km.
The need for space in my paneers and the extra weight of 720 gram is not so much a concern on a 250 kg bike.
And you get between North and South Lao Super gasoline in Vientiane.

I thought some R1200 pilots should have some expiriences because I saw quite a number of BMWs with Thai plate on my 2 trips in Lao and funny enough even riders on this heavy metals from Milwaukee (they most likely can ride on sugar cane juice) but no Multistrada and few 800xcx only.....

Liqui Moly says if you use it for a long time the catalyst will be damaged but for shorter holiday trips no problem.

We will see if somebody used it before otherwise I will be the first one making expiriences with this stuff.

Greetings Andreas
footer.jpg

So all that red stuff the sell in Lao is 91 ???, didn't know that. Usually they call it Regular and/or Benzene. Strange enough, my Phantom doesn't like it at all. For the enginge it seems not make much of a difference from the 91 I use in Thailand, but the carburater starts to leak and messes up all of the engine. As soon I'm back in Thailand, and she gets 1-2 times the Thai 91, it's O.K.

What does worry me a bit more, as I'm just getting trough the manual of my new CBR. Quote:"● Always use unleaded petrol. Leaded petrolwill damage the catalytic converter."
So honestly, up to today I didn't care much what they sold up there, nor did the Phantom, but can you expect that all the sell up there is unleaded ??

So all that red stuff the sell in Lao is 91 ???, didn't know that. Usually they call it Regular and/or Benzene. Strange enough, my Phantom doesn't like it at all. For the enginge it seems not make much of a difference from the 91 I use in Thailand, but the carburater starts to leak and messes up all of the engine. As soon I'm back in Thailand, and she gets 1-2 times the Thai 91, it's O.K.

What does worry me a bit more, as I'm just getting trough the manual of my new CBR. Quote:"● Always use unleaded petrol. Leaded petrolwill damage the catalytic converter."
So honestly, up to today I didn't care much what they sold up there, nor did the Phantom, but can you expect that all the sell up there is unleaded ??

Hi Jethro69,

unleaded gasoline is not a concern any more. There are only Japanese, Korean, American, French, Italian and German Car producers left in the world who export their products world wide and they all build in catalyst. (The Chinese and Indian Shit I just ignore for this point of discussion) All international petrol companies changed long time ago to unleaded fuel.

Yes, Regular has 91 octane only what is for not so high compressed engines not a problem. But engines with high compression and higher temperatures will expirience pinging (what is just a unwanted early self ignition) I don't know any thing about a Phantom but she has may be not a high performance engine and therefore you can use 91 oct.

Greetings Andreas

footer.jpg

The only places in Laos where you can get Super (presumably 95 Octane) is in Vientiane Capital and in Luang Prabang and some places around Vientiane Capital according to Laos State Fuel Corporation which shows the price of fuel and the types available in each province.

The only places in Laos where you can get Super (presumably 95 Octane) is in Vientiane Capital and in Luang Prabang and some places around Vientiane Capital according to Laos State Fuel Corporation which shows the price of fuel and the types available in each province.

Hi,

that's then an improvement. Last year February the most North Gas Station with Super Gasoline was the Petro Trade Gas Station Nuanta approximitly 80 km North of Vientiane at the Road 13 N ....

Will check it out within yhe next 3 weeks...

Greetings Andreas

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Joko_Londo Bike Talk 2
Back
Top Bottom