BaseCamp - using .img maps stored on your hard drive

heilong

Bikes
"Macera" 2009 Kawasaki KLX250
A new feature in BaseCamp (compare to MapSource) is the ability to directly use .img maps when your GPSr is connected to the computer in USB Mass Storage mode. This allows to use any .img maps without installing them. But there are two problems with this - first, access to the memory card is very slow this way, and second, you don't always want to plug your GPSr into your computer to use BaseCamp. Both problems can be solved by putting the memory card into a fast card reader and plugging that into your computer (or, for example, I can use my notebook's internal card reader). BaseCamp will see the removable device and not distinguish it from the real GPS. Basically any removable drive (memory card in a card reader, USB flash drive, but NOT an external hard drive) will be recognized by BaseCamp, just create a Garmin folder on that drive and put the maps in there.
However to me it seems quite strange/stupid to require to have a memory card or a USB drive always connected to use the maps, so I researched a bit and found out a way to do it. First, I tried the Windows 7 built-in Virtual Hard Disk (VHD) feature. But unfortunately the virtual disk created is not recognized by BaseCamp as it's not marked as a removable drive but rather is a removable hard disk. Then, I found the solution.

To make a virtual disk, I installed ImDisk Virtual Disk Driver (free): Tools and utilities for Windows
Then I created a small 8Mb disk image, making sure I check the "removable media" checkbox, otherwise BaseCamp won't recognize it, which I mounted it as disk M.
Formatted it as NTFS - it's not a problem for BaseCamp. Then I created a junction from M:\Garmin pointing to D:\media\gps\maps - my hard disk where I've got the .img maps stored, using this command from the shell: mklink /j m:\garmin d:\media\gps\maps
Then I ran BaseCamp and voila - it's showing the maps from there. The reason for using the Junction instead of making a bigger virtual disk and just copying the maps over there is to avoid wasting disk space (or ending up with a virtual disk that doesn't fit all your maps at some point). Basically the virtual disk is almost empty and just links to another directory on my main hard disk. So there will be no need to grow or shrink the virtual disk image file.
Unfortunately ImDisk doesn't offer the feature of remounting the virtual disk on system reboot, so I created a task in the Task Scheduler, that triggers after boot, and executes the remount command for my image:
C:\Windows\System32\imdisk.exe -a -o rem -f D:\media\gps\maps\maps.imdisk -m M:

There is another catch with using .img maps with BaseCamp. BaseCamp, and this this was done on purpose by Garmin, only shows Garmin original maps. But actually you can make any .img show up fine in BaseCamp, using JaVaWa Device Manager (free): JaVaWa GPS-tools | JaVaWa Device Manager
I ran this program, selected my virtual disk M:, clicked on Manage Maps, then there's the list of maps on M:, and on some of them there is an icon "Visible in BaseCamp". The ones that don't have this icon, I selected and clicked the button on the toolbar "Toggle visible in BaseCamp". Started BaseCamp and all my maps are visible now. Not sure exactly what this does but it does write some changes to the map itself - if you copy this "visible" map to another removable drive or the GPS itself, BaseCamp will be able to see it from there as well.

I'm just learning BaseCamp but it was not so easy to find this information, so I thought maybe it will be useful to somebody.

Adding this to the thread also as others who search might find the above and this is relevant.

==============
OK I want to say Thanks.. That javawa tool is absolutely essential if using multiple mapsets with basecamp..

Turns a horrid awful piece of software thats pretty much unseable.. In to merely a poor piece of software.

Previously basecamp would only see my maps.. On the garmin device, while in USB mode.. But then cannot write to the device, until its connected in garmin mode and cannot 'import' the maps.. So your constantly rebooting the garmin, changing it from USB to garmin mode, losing your map, or unable to send the GPS the data.. I have no idea who thought this was a viable workflow but this is what the public stocks were invented for, that or public stonings.

One issue I had with the app was that, due to not reading any manuals, I put the maps onto a thumb and told the app to make them visible.. The app says they were.. They were not.. They needed to be 'exported to' the thumb which just put them in a garmin subfolder like they would be on the device.. Simple but I didnt see any obvious instruction that this was what needed to be done. I suspect manually making the /Garmin/ folder would be enough.

Now I can keep all my maps sets on a USB stick, and switch between them with basecamp, while also keeping my GPS in garmin comms mode, and send waypoints and tracks to it.. Thats almost user friendly.

One big reason to get a big Android tablet - you can run the Orux Maps app and open/ view/ run all the .img Garmin maps files you want without any messing around, you just drop them in the mapfiles folder and they will open.

EodFe7lH_B9Dnt7tYSo0k1UmYaOpGr1Zu4TG3GiWPTHQJxjj45Wd13FLARKgQNYv0oY=h310-rw

Had a quick mess around with Javawa, dragging .img files in and it didn't like them, will have to investigate further.

just tried the nthai rc map in my android with Orux.

It only works down to 3km scale. Any suggestions?

Connected to the locked status ?? Just a guess..

What phone ? What Adroid version?

I've just upgraded my Galaxy S2 to Jelly Bean (4.1.2) and am having issues zooming.

(However can zoom to 10m on S4 & Galaxy tab 7.7)

Huwei U9508 Android v4.0.4
Altered zooom settings/default zooms, and it works OK now

So farI have tried putting the .img on a sdcard, and tried javawa, but cannot get the new nthai 6.03 map to show in Basecamp.
I just updated basecamp to the latest version.
Also basecamp does not show my GPS when connected, so I have to do my transfers via mapsource

I will probably now uninstall basecamp and start again.

So farI have tried putting the .img on a sdcard, and tried javawa, but cannot get the new nthai 6.03 map to show in Basecamp.
I just updated basecamp to the latest version.
Also basecamp does not show my GPS when connected, so I have to do my transfers via mapsource

I will probably now uninstall basecamp and start again.

[h=1]How To Load .img Files Into MapSource or BaseCamp With MapSetToolkit[/h]Author: Dan Blomberg | Last updated April 19th, 2009 at 04:27pm
[h=2]Introduction[/h]This tutorial will help you take .img files and load them into MapSource so you can install them on your Garmin GPS unit easily.
Chances are you do NOT need this tutorial. It could be easy: If you downloaded the map from GPSFileDepot and it had a setup wizard (where you kept clicking next to install the map) the files are already loaded into MapSource so you can just load the maps onto your GPSr with this tutorial.
[h=2]Getting the Necessary Software[/h]This tutorial will require you to have two free pieces of software.

1. Get the most recent version of MapSetToolkit here. (I'm using 1.62 beta for this tutorial); you need 1.62+ or you will run into errors
  2. Extract MapSetTookit to a location where you can load it up easily (mine is in my gps maps folder)
  3. Get the most recent Free cgpsmapper version for windows here.
  4. Run the setup and let it install cgpsmapper for you.
[h=2]Installing the .img Files In MapSource or BaseCamp[/h]Make sure you already have an .img file or a set of files that you want installed.
[h=3]The Map Doesn't Have A .tdb File[/h]This part of the tutorial is for maps that don't have a .tdb file; if you have a .tdb file click here.

1. Extract the file(s) to a folder (the map I'm working with will be in C:gps_mapsphilmont)
  2. Open MapSetToolkit.
  3. Tell MapSetToolkit the location of cgpsmapper:
    ximg1.jpg.pagespeed.ic.SThHtU3POi.jpg
  4. Now select the .img file(s) by clicking Select IMG
  5. Select the folder where your .img files are located.
  6. Now click Select All on the left side.
  7. Click "Add"
  8. This will move the files from the list on the left side to the right side.
    ximg2.jpg.pagespeed.ic.k65gFChtll.jpg
  9. Now we will fill in the blanks in the Create MAPSET section
  10. Open the folder for the Mapset Directory. This is most likely the same folder where the .img files were.
  11. Fill in the Mapset Name (Do NOT uses spaces in this name, we'll add spaces later). My name is PhilmontScountRanch.
  12. Now you have two options, either fill in a family id or the product id. Family IDs are Garmin's new format. I will be using the Family ID. To decide what family ID to use browse the list of maps you have installed on the right side and make sure you don't use one of those. Valid numbers are 1 - 65535.
  13. Fill in the map version
  14. Fill in the copyright info (Note: with the free version of cgpsmapper the copyright won't be added to the map)
  15. Leave the draw priority as default.
  16. If the map is transparent select "Yes".
  17. If the map contains a .typ file select the .typ text file. If you don't have a typ file but rather a txt file select that then hit compile; make sure the .typ file ends up in this box.
  18. The Create MAPSET section should look similar (but not the same) to this:
    ximg3.jpg.pagespeed.ic.xymtD-1st6.jpg
  19. In the options area check the box for "Install In MapSource"
  20. Now click start. You'll see some DOS boxes pop up; ignore them.
  21. You should get a box that says "Convert Termined"; that is good.
  22. Now you can open MapSource or BaseCamp and see your map. From this point forward follow this tutorial to load the maps to your GPS unit orthis tutorial on opening the maps with BaseCamp.
[h=3]The Map Has a .tdb File[/h]Follow this part of the tutorial if the map you downloaded has a .tdb file and a .img file that doesn't have a name containing only numbers.

1. Extract the files to a folder.
  2. Open MapSetTookit
  3. Click Install in the Mapset installed area.
  4. Fill in the Registry Name with the name of the map.
  5. Click the "..." to browse for the .tdb file.
  6. Click the "..." to browse for the overview map. This is the .img file that matches the name of the .tdb file.
  7. The maps directory should automatically fill in with the location of all the .img files; if it is different click the "..." to correct it.
  8. If you have a .typ file click the "..." and select the .typ file.
  9. Click install.
    ximg6.jpg.pagespeed.ic.Abv6mHFtah.jpg
  10. You should get a "Complete" popup box. Click OK
  11. The map is now available in MapSource or BaseCamp. From this point forward follow this tutorial to load the maps to your GPS unit or this tutorial on opening the maps with BaseCamp.
[h=2]Conclusion[/h]Now that you have the map installed you can freely use it as you see fit. If you want you could also create an executable setup file to help others not have to go through these steps.

From : How To Load .img Files Into MapSource or BaseCamp With MapSetToolkit - GPSFileDepot

Last edited by a moderator:
Who needs maps anyways :excuseme:

Just kidding...I found the Garmin is pretty easy, complete and quite accurate, could be a nice alternative.

I tried Mapsettoolkit but keep getting error message PE11, preview map has to be less detailed than any img file in mapset-change level definition in the MAP section

Back
Top Bottom