Montana & Basecamp

bsacbob

Administrator (Retired)
Bikes
Honda CRM-AR 250, Honda CRF 250-L, Suzuki V Strom XT 650 Honda XR250 Baja BMW F650GS
Ok i will embarrass myself and ask the question.

I open Basecamp connect to my Montana and it looks like bloody spaghetti junction with routes showing all over the place, how can i get rid of them off the screen so i can plan a route without any of the other tracks and routes.

Now I'll be off to sit in the corner hanging my head in shame :?

I'm glad you asked the question, I've been struggling with this for about a year

Make sure you have everything saved elsewhere thats showing in basecamp first (that you want to keep)..... highlight what you want gone.... right click delete/ remove.

Im making the mapsource to basecamp transition and hating it too.

Maybe we'll do a basecamp evening as its such a headache

I open Basecamp connect to my Montana and it looks like bloody spaghetti junction with routes showing all over the place, how can i get rid of them off the screen so i can plan a route without any of the other tracks and routes.

Never sent from an I-Phone

How about making that a basecamp week !!!

Hey, wait till I get there.

I'm having "fun" with Garmin at present. My first Montana lasted a day and a half before the screen went so far out of registration that it was totally unuseable. Garmin Australia didn't want to replace it at first, but did. I got five months out of the replacement unit until one area of its screen went, and when I rang to organise a repair was told that they only give three month's warranty on replacement units. We've "been discussing" that.

Hi It is pretty simple once you get used to it. But, before you do anything, open the top tool bar, select FILE and choose from the drop down list BACKUP then point it to a new folder, NOT on your HDD, maybe a USB drive or stick, that way it will be available if you stuff things up.

Basic Principles

In the top left hand side of BC is a window with a tree type folder and file listing. You may only have one called a LIBRARY and under that or next to it an open folder called MY COLLECTION, whatever you do, leave this alone. It is basically the storage bin for EVERYTHING you have.

Go to the top tool bar and select FILE then NEW then Folder

That folder will now be under My Collection and it will be highlighted in blue 'new folder', type in a name, for example, call it "Test Maps" and hit enter, I am only talking about Windoze here, not Mac

Then leave it highlighted and go to the tool bar and select FILE/NEW/LIST and name that list Clean Map

OK, once you have done that you have somewhere to play without causing any problems to your data on your device.

You have no toys though, just a blank map. So if you want to make a route for example, you will need to create some way points, pick a hotel in a town, maybe Riders Corner, then pick a destination like Tony's Place then create a route between them. That is the basics in a nutshell

Of course your route, waypoints etc are ONLY in that "Clean Map' you will now need to copy them across to the Montana, you can do this by highlighting the way points, or routes, tracks etc and right click the mouse button and select Send To and then choose the Montana. Or highlight the item, right mouse click on it and select copy, then paste it where you want.

I suggest making two folders, two lists and practice a few times BEFORE buggering up your main data.

The main thing to realise is if you delete something from the Montana itself, it is gone but not forgotten. It will be in your My Collection. If you delete something from another list it will warn you that it is deleting this item from ALL lists. Be aware, using the right click/delete option is better than using the keyboard delete key as you do then get a warning

So in your case bsacbob, if you select the Montana device and "Internal Storage' then highlight those routes one by one(you did do the backup right) you can then select right click and delete and they are gone from the Montana only

Hope that is helpful and not too confusing

Cheers
TS

Thanks TS,
So let me get this right, stand in a bucket of water and keep touching wires until you find the live one,
ouch i just did !!!

No Really thanks, i will read that several times before bed and maybe i will figure it out.
:idea:

I have already posed that question to Auke before Phil, lets hope if there are a few requests it will happen. I am sure a few folks here would enjoy it.

But here is a quickie for Bob right now ;)

As suggested above already, with your device attached and all data imported you will get a load of stuff displayed on the map & on the left hand panel.

Click on one pink (in my case) track on the map & you will see the name of that track selected in the left hand column.

Vicy versa you can click the left column item & that will be highlighted on the map.

The 2 foot prints icons at the bottom of the left column in the image below are the tracks.

To remove one or some, just delete the name of that track in the left column.

View attachment 14260

This screenshot is a gdb file imported into my basecamp using several tracks I had previously ridden but what comes off your device will be similar.

If you have straight lines all over the place, then that is because the track started at a different place to where you last finished. So the poor device got confused. Eg, you recorded a track to chiang mai from chiang rai, turned the device off & then went to lampang & turned the device on again. There would be a straight line between chiang mai & lampang.

You can get rid of those by editing the track. Click the name of the track involved in the left column of basecamp, then look at a screen similar to the one below.

If you put your cursor on a line of data, that position will be shown on the map. You can delete the line of data and that will affect the look of the map.

View attachment 14261

If all the above has been done by importing data from your gps device then what you are doing with deleting & changing stuff as above is happening on your computer & not affecting the original data on your gps device.

So if you end up with a mess after playing with edits, just import the whole lot again.

If you are 'playing' with data that was previously imported onto your computer & then wiped from your gps device, then be careful to not destroy the original. Consider making a copy and changing that.

Hope that is of some help.

Ally

Not sure if this helps but it is the best I can do at the moment as I am almost on my way to Laos (just for a few days):

Look at the post by Nightrider in the GPS Help Discussion Thread as he posted a link to tutorials some time ago: http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/gps-help-discussion/1889-basecamp-tutorial.html which links to here: http://garmin-mapsource.wikispaces.com/BaseCamp

Video tutorials for the PC as well as the Mac: Garmin BaseCamp video tutorials - GPS Tracklog

Here is another tutorial: http://larssletten.net/SKC/Garmin-BaseCamp-tutorial.pdf

Tutorials for Basecamp from the Garmin site: Garmin | Learning Center | Training Videos | BaseCamp

Link for the online Basecamp manual: WebHelp

Link for the Basecamp Garmin Forum: https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?179-BaseCamp

Thanks for the "quikie" Ally, i will play around and see what comes of it :o

OK, let me try to explain how you can hid tracks without deleting them . This is also "new" for me as I nowmally use Mapsource and I am definitely not an expert with BaseCamp although soem seem to think so.

OK Step 1 - Start Basecamp and hook up your GPS and the GPS will show up under the heading Devices (on the left panel) and my GPSMap 62S shows which maps I have installed on the internal storage. All the tracks collected with the GPS are on the internal storage and will show up on the left hand panel under the heading Internal Storage just below Devices

View attachment 14266

Step 2 - Lets now assume that I want to show you only the tracks I did on 18 December last year which. So in the heading Internal Storage I click on the tracks dated 18 December and they will be highlighted on the map but all other tracks are still visible

View attachment 14265

Step 3 - I decide that it is none of your business what I did on the other days so I want to hide the other tracks. Go to the heading My Collection, and then select File on the top menu and then select - New - List and name this new list Trip On 18 December or whatever name you want to give it.

Step 4 - Now go to the heading Internal Storage and select the tracks with the date of 18 December and move (just move your selected tracks with the cursor to the list and drop them there) them to the List in My Collection with the name Trip On 18 December.You see that the tracks are also still in the Internal Storage and remain on the GPS.

View attachment 14264

Now we go to the last step and click on Trip On 18 December in My Collection and then only the tracks you want other people to see are being shown on the map. You see also that where the contents of the Internal Storage were showing, you see now the content of the List Trip On 18 December.

View attachment 14263

In case you don't like the color of the tracks you can now double click on one of the track part or parts and the track panel pops up and you can change the color to something you like.

View attachment 14267

Ok thanks Auke, so what's the difference between a track and a route or adventure, can i just keep everything in track form or do i have to make a route ?

A track shows you where you have been and is something you get when you switch on your GPS and travel along and the GPS will then put a "bread crumb" every so often (something you can set on the GPS - intime or in distance, say every 5 seconds or every 10 meter) and later on you can see this trail of bread crumbs on Basecamp.

A route shows you where you want to go and is something you plan on your computer before you leave which you can then upload to the GPS to show you which roads to take to get to your destination. To make a route you can do this with Waypoints or do it directly on your computer

An Adventure is something new in Garmin Basecamp with which you can make a kind of graphical thing (with pictures, movie clips, etc.) which will show you and others where you have been (see also Garmin Adventures). This is new and I have never used it so can't help much with this. To see an example see the Adventure made by Johnny Sneds: http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/thailand-ride-reports/3199-mhs-loop-multistrada.html

One good thing about Basecamp is I can import a TRACK that someone sends me, it will be in GPX format. Once I open that track, I can then create a ROUTE using that data and copy that route across to the Montana. This can be useful it may not always be routable, because the GPS it was made on may have been set up differently, maybe in direct mode instead of Automotive, but still a useful tool

I can also make a ROUTE as normal on the PC. I can then using that route create a TRACK(you do this in the open route window, the button is down below) The default colour for that track is grey, I usually change it to Lime Green and then copy both track and route to the GPS. I then start the route(eg A to B) and also go into menu to the track manager, I select the same named track(A to B) and select the option, show on map, then select colour and pick lime green.

What you then have is the normal purple line showing where to go, and in the middle of it is a lime green line. Now, if for any reason the GPS decides to go somewhere else(and it will), then you can see if it is taking you OFF track because the purple and lime green lines will separate, then you just need to keep turning until you are back on the lime green line.

Probably clear as mud, and a lot easier to show somebody, but hopefully useful info

One good thing about Basecamp is I can import a TRACK that someone sends me, it will be in GPX format. Once I open that track, I can then create a ROUTE using that data and copy that route across to the Montana. This can be useful it may not always be routable, because the GPS it was made on may have been set up differently, maybe in direct mode instead of Automotive, but still a useful tool

I can also make a ROUTE as normal on the PC. I can then using that route create a TRACK(you do this in the open route window, the button is down below) The default colour for that track is grey, I usually change it to Lime Green and then copy both track and route to the GPS. I then start the route(eg A to B) and also go into menu to the track manager, I select the same named track(A to B) and select the option, show on map, then select colour and pick lime green.

What you then have is the normal purple line showing where to go, and in the middle of it is a lime green line. Now, if for any reason the GPS decides to go somewhere else(and it will), then you can see if it is taking you OFF track because the purple and lime green lines will separate, then you just need to keep turning until you are back on the lime green line.

Probably clear as mud, and a lot easier to show somebody, but hopefully useful info

Very handy trick there Richard, thanks for sharing with us.

Ally

Back
Top Bottom