basecamp installation fail

Belker74

Bikes
xrv750, crf450, cr500, moto morini 3 1/2, Yamaha HL500, Dnepr 650MT
as it sais, I am trying to install Basecamp on my notebook.
I follow the instructions, no problems there, it gets "succesfully" installed, but when I cole it and later open it again, I have to go to the entire procedure again. as if the installation never completed really. I googled around some to see if anyone had the same issues, but I can't find none...
Maybe some filter wrong? or some settings?

When I try to use the "newly installed" version anyway I can't load gpx files,

I guess I am doing a few things completely wrong here, anyone to put me straight?

B'74

What 'notebook' and OS? It should set up a program and shortcut - don't try starting again from the installer package, go to the new program file. Worth persevering, some kind of geolocation is invaluable in the middle of nowhere when all the signs are in Thai and there is a language barrier.

Make sure that you have the right version of Basecamp for your computer as there are 2 versions: Basecamp for the Mac and Basecamp for Windows.

Mac version (Intel-based Mac running OS 10.8 or higher) is here: Garmin: BaseCamp for Mac Updates & Downloads

Windows version is here: Garmin: BaseCamp Updates & Downloads

and here is a video in Dutch (probably not a problem for you as you are from the north of Belgium) about how to install Basecamp:

If your on a Mac make sure your privacy settings allow you to open third party software, if not you can grant permission manually in settings, security & privacy the app your trying to install will appear at the bottom of the dialog box and just open the Basecamp app from there.

When I saw the title I thought the installation of a new basecamp for Everest, K2 or Siula Grande had gone wrong...

They find catchy names for all sorts of software these days, what is basecamp if I may ask?

right, Bikesncats, putting up a basecamp at K2 would be more fun than this...This GarminBasecamp leaves me all confused, now even more. I use a Samsung, running windows 8.1, thing is only 6 months old. For the fun of it I tried to install it on my parents' Compaq, running on Vista and at theirs it worked flawless. So it's got to be in my settings somewhere. Also both pcs have the same virusscanner (Kasperski). I've googled several forums yesterday and nowhere I saw someone with a similar problem. It's holidays weekend here now so most forums are kind of slow and deserted anyways.thanks for thinking with me so far guysB'74

Hmm, not sure where you're going wrong, if you loaded it on Vista you must have the right idea.
I have just loaded it onto Win 8.1 and 10, took minutes.
Downloaded from - Garmin: BaseCamp Updates & Downloads
Went to downloads and ran the app - 'BaseCamp_442'
A box comes up asking whether you want to allow it to make changes on your computer - click 'Yes'.
Does it's thing in a loading box then asks you to click 'Finish', there is a tick box to 'Open Basecamp Now' - Done
Win 10 put the shortcut into the start menue under 'Garmin' but you can probably copy it to anywhere you like, eg 'Desktop'.
The actual program is in 'Program Files (x86).
Have fun, Tim.

Gnasher just pointed something that sparked my memory...when I first loaded Garmin XP on my old HTC HD (running Window6.1 if I recall) I had the same problem several times...until I did push the "Open Garmin Now" right away after installation...and everything went well after that. At the time it a simple indexing problem with windows that occurred because I wasn't starting it up right away when prompted the first time after installation. Could it be that Windows 8 is back to some of these old indexing issues?

Well now...

I erased the "old" download and downloaded a new Basecamp, again from the offical site. Result, same. I follow the wizard step by step, start to work the program directly, already downloaded a MTB file, saved it and put it on a topo map... ssems to work. as usual.

but when I make a button on the screen it is covered with this black/yellow checkered shield, the one from user's accounts and when I click it same thing happens again. The install starts all over again...

Maybe there are some indexing issues, but I can't find them. My PC skills are pretty limited, I still prefer air cooled single cylinder two strokes engines...

Guess a call to the Garmin support center is needed

B'74

Not sure if it would help but on a few forums it was indicated that problems with the installation of BaseCamp might be a problem with Microsoft.Net which can not find certain files. They advised to try an older version of Basecamp and see if that would solve the problem with Basecamp not installing properly. Older versions of Basecamp can be downloaded from Index of /perry/mapsource

You say When I make a button on the screen', I assume you mean a shortcut. It sounds like it's pointing to the original download rather than the newly created .exe in the new 'Garmin' folder. Go there, right click 'Basecamp.exe' , chose send to desktop, and you should have a working shortcut there. It shouls also be already in the 'Start' menue.

Thanks for all your help guys.I guess I owe all of you a drink at Riders' Corner.With the help of Support from Garmin.be the program got installed. I gave them access to my PC and they found a tiny remainder of a previous viruskiller. That Panda toenail finally is removed now...right. Up for the next questions, lol...Anyone knows any nice bad-roads between Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai??B'74

Thanks Loop, I'll try it out, looks like fun after a day of highways

Back
Top Bottom