Would like some advice. CM to ???Laos?

tysurrfer

Bikes
KTM 690R Enduro, Ninja 1000, CRF250l, BMW sidecar
Hello all,

My Thai friend and I will be driving up to Chiang Mai from Khao Lak(near Phuket) in early August. We will be on a KTM 690 Enduro and CRF 250L with 50/50 tires for the long road trip up. We would like advice on leaving from CM on August 9th and getting back to Phrae on the 14th. We would like to go to Laos and tour around a bit. We know it is rainy season, and both bikes are properly Thai registered.

Can anyone point us in the right direction as to which border crossing, good riding areas, or would we be better to tour around Thailand? I have toured around Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai for 5 days last year but did not have a bike which could go off road. We are happy to ride all day and dirt track as well, but limited by tires.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Difficult to say as I don't know your interests but an itinerary could be:

Day 1 - Chiangmai to Luang Nam Tha via the Chiangkhong-Houayxay bridge crossing
Day 2 - Luang Nam Tha to Luang Prabang via Oudomxay. This involves a 80 km. stretch from Oudomxay to Pak Mong which is being renewed (old spotty pavement to widening of the road in places and new pavement) and might be very slippery depending on the weather
Day 3 - Luang Prabang - temples and waterfalls, etc.
Day 4 - Luang Prabang to Phonsavan and the Plain of Jars
Day 5 - Phonsavan to Kasy and via the new mountain road to Xayaboury and maybe onwards to Pak Lay or Hongsa
Day 6 - Xayaboury/Paklay to Phrae via the new Phu Du border crossing to Uttaradit and Phrae (or a bit offroad from the border to Na Noi and Phrae) or via Xayaboury/Hongsa to Nan and Phrae via the Ngeun to Huay Khon border crossing.

Chiangmai to Phrae via laos.jpg

Thank you gentlemen. I appreciate the guidance.

Back
Top Bottom