When will be the Thailand and Myanmar borders will be Open?

Ojas Oneness

Bikes
SUZUKI GZ 150-A
Dear friends, I heard still the Thailand, Myanmar boarders are closed?? I wanted to start my journey on this May 22nd from HCMC, Vietnam. Please let me know about Cambodia boarder too?

I am Indian Nation, my bike plate is Vietnamese Registration. ( I am working in Vietnam)
Thank you for your kind information.
Best regards.
Ojas Oneness

Best guess at the moment if early mid July, the Vietnam border is also closed into Laos, no firm news on when that will open, but the Vietnam government has extended tourist visa for those trapped in country (me) until the end of June. So I guess they are all aiming for the same date, mid July.

... and you probably won't be allowed into Laos on a 150cc bike.

... and you probably won't be allowed into Laos on a 150cc bike.
Taking a Vietnamese plated bike into Laos is not a problem even a 150cc, you see loads for sale around the big towns by backpackers. The biggest issue will be border points being open, Myanmar and India have increasing numbers of covid, until that slows there's little chance they will open to overlanders.

They certainly stop the small bikes going in from this side. We had a chap turn up here a few months back on a sub250 bike. He was denied entry in Chiang Khong and ended up selling the bike there and flying home.

Onaj, even in May you should have realized that there is no chance of the borders reopening anytime soon. At the time Vietnam had just emerged out of it's lockdown (a second one occurred July 25) and now we're still no closer to open borders. If you can get into Cambodia, Vietnam or Thailand, with rare exceptions it will only be by air and you'll be taken into quarantine.

I can't predict the future so won't even try, but depending on the WHO advice, who wins the US election and whatever happens behind the scenes, I think a loosening of travel restrictions could happen as early as January or February (though this appears to be rather unlikely at this point) to as late as over 1 year from now.

We also don't know what future travel will look like. The majority of countries worldwide except for a few European and American nations, require a PCR test to enter the country (or it's done at the border). How overland travel by car or motorcycle, or even by bus will look like once borders reopen remains to be seen. It could mean proof of vaccination, a PCR test or one administered at the border while you wait for up to 48 hours for the test results. Of course, the latter would be unworkable for overland travel.

Anyway, I think realistically, we're not going to be crossing any borders anytime soon.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Announcements, Suggestions and Support 14
Back
Top Bottom