Vientiane to Chomcheng border point

bsacbob

Administrator (Retired)
Bikes
Honda CRM-AR 250, Honda CRF 250-L, Suzuki V Strom XT 650 Honda XR250 Baja BMW F650GS
Day 11 Vientiane to Chomcheng border point

212 Km 8 hours

Screen Shot 2014-05-01 at 11.01.28.jpg

GpxViewer

After the last few lacklustre days, it was good to get back on the road, today would take me along the Mekong to the Chomcheng border point or Friendship Bridge 1

Amazing how just a short distance from the affluence of Vientiane poverty is in plain sight and the old wooden houses prevail.

This road like so many in Laos is in the middle of major remodelling and starts off smooth tarmac and quickly to graded

Then the usual red dust

Some of the more beautiful Wats along this route

This unusual Wat was like fantasy garden with so many Buddha’s and effigies on display

A large meditation centre on the Thai side

More images from the Wat

Back on the road and newly paved section

The Mekong shrouded in haze

Cute smile

Another old Wat

Dragon boat shelter

Example of the rapid change, old and new

And again

This route is a real mixed bag of all surfaces

More Wats

Soon after i was flagged by a group of friendly ladies making a collection for yet another Wat

I gave them a small donation

Armed with my lucky lucky string i was good to go

Haze slowly lifting

Another new GH development

One of the few older bridges

But as usual a water crossing was available for the heavier trucks

My favourite picture of the trip, these guy’s wanted to drown me, but in exchange for a picture they let me pass

Like i said a mixed bag of surfaces

Arriving at the ferry point a nice new ferry waiting, but the old lady in the bamboo hut hailed a more modest form of crossing transportation

Here’’s my ride, always a welcome sight when you see a double canoe ferry the singles can be a little unsettling

He had an ingenious roll on roll off barrier system

Back to dirt

Very nice stretch until a truck comes along

Arriving in Chomcheng, looking for a GH, several in town and a few restaurants

Since i was making good time, grabbed some noodles and thought to push on to Paklay, leaving town a huge thunder storm was approaching and stopped within yards of the edge of the rain, i decided to turn back and wait out the storm in this abandoned restaurant

As the storm hit i contemplated pitching camp inside but half the roof was missing and i had seen some pretty nice GH’s in town so i sat waiting for it to ease off and check out a room for the night. Headed back to the Ivee GH 80k kip for a nice relaxing evening

Day 12 Elephant day to follow

Attachments

• Day 11 VTE to Chomcheng.GPX
    871.6 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:
Day 11 Vientiane to Chomcheng border point

Some of the more beautiful Wats along this route

P1030110_zps739c35b9.jpg

This unusual Wat was like fantasy garden with so many Buddha’s and effigies on display

P1030112_zpsb3cfd38e.jpg

P1030113_zpsb3610fbc.jpg

P1030115_zpsb8f0774b.jpg

P1030118_zps4bc9c61c.jpg

Some villa perhaps on the Thai side

P1030119_zps884b2fef.jpg

P1030120_zpsb7f0e634.jpg

The wat on the Lao side is Wat Tham Pha just past Ban Houay Hom on Rd 11 (11C) and the villa on the Thai side is not a villa but is a temple called Wat Hin Mak Peng. This is an important temple and "home" of Phra Ajaan Thate Desaransi, (Ajaan Thate) (Phra Rajanirodharangsee) (Luangpu Thet Thetrangsi) (Phra Desarangsee) (1902–1994) who was one of the most famous masters of Theravada Buddhist meditation known as the Thai Forest Tradition.

More info here: Ajahn Thate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and here Mut Mee - Wat Hin Maak Peng

Thanks Auke I knew you would fill in the gaps ☺

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

great report and very good photos

thanks

- - - Updated - - -

great report and very good photos

thanks

Back
Top Bottom