Vehicle Registration Certificate for Laos entry

Nightrider70

Bikes
DRZ400SM
Last time I tried to enter Laos via the ferry to Thaket I was rejected on Laos side. They wanted to see a "Vehicle Registration Certificate" besides the green book. This paper is issued at any "Department of Land Transport" (where you get your driver's license and can pay the bike's annual tax) but it is best to go where you have your bike registered to avoid extra nagging from the staff. The paper costs 25 bath. Bring your "green book", passport and signed copies of your passports first page and VISA stamps. Two friends of mine got across the friendship bridge in Nongkhai into Laos with this paper. I recommend anyone going to Laos to get one of these papers just in case.

For motor vehicles they require you to have the document below

file.php

All the information you need is in the link below:'

taking-a-thai-registered-motor-car-out-of-thailand-t1056.html

I was talking about taking a bike registered in Thailand over to Laos.

Thanks for the info on cars however.

Nightrider70 said:
Last time I tried to enter Laos via the ferry to Thaket I was rejected on Laos side. They wanted to see a "Vehicle Registration Certificate". This paper is issued at any "Department of Land Transport" (where your get you driver's license) but it is best to go where you have your bike registered to avoid extra nagging from the staff. The paper costs 25 bath. Bring your "green book", passport and signed copies of your passports first page and VISA stamps. Two friends of mine got across the friendship bridge in Nongkhai into Laos with this paper. I recommend anyone going to Laos to get one of these papers just in case.

This must be a new proceedure, I have entered Laos with Thai registered bikes many times and have never been asked for this document, just proof of ownership, details on entering Laos with a motorcycle are in the link below:

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...tering-laos-foreign-registered-motorbike.html

I never had any use of this paper until May when they did not let me in at Thaket for the lack of this paper. The risk they demand it seems slim but if they do it is worth the 25 bath to have one.

Nightrider70 said:
I never had any use of this paper until May when they did not let me in at Thaket for the lack of this paper. The risk they demand it seems slim but if they do it is worth the 25 bath to have one.

Could you photograph a copy of the required document and attach it here?

KTMphil said:
For motor vehicles they require you to have the document below

file.php

All the information you need is in the link below:'

taking-a-thai-registered-motor-car-out-of-thailand-t1056.html

Problem is they dont give out ITP's any more..

They give a one page letter translation, which also has the Thai alphanumerics in Romanized thai.. You need the same doc to get a carnet.

KTMphil said:
Thanks NR - i want to see what Chiang Mai motor vehicle dept. make of this.

If it doesnt go over straight away.. Try emphasizing the need for romanized alphabet for the plate. I know the carnets from the UK require this and I think it may be needed to properly do the malay / insurance side ??

Phuket DMV is familiar with this doc.

This must be a new proceedure, I have entered Laos with Thai registered bikes many times and have never been asked for this document, just proof of ownership, details on entering Laos with a motorcycle are in the link below:

entering-laos-with-a-foreign-registered-motorbike-t996.html

this link is broken....seems to be more positive info here than on other forums who basically say i cannot take my thai registered 125 scooter into loas at all....

thanks - fix your links up (basically tell google the pages have permanently moved) or your google ranking can be lost!!

lots of info here when i find it! and unlike other forums seems to be more, "yes you can do it" - maby a more foolhardy bunch in here!!

Back
Top Bottom