Thailand Enduro Championship General Info

MastaMax

Bikes
19 ktm 300tpi 6 days / 15 Yamaha YZ250F / 08 Husky 450SMR / 13 ER6N / 13 KTM 300XCW(sold)
As more and more people are interested in racing here is some information:

The National Thai Enduro Championship has 5 rounds, each round is a 2 days race of around 3 hours of race time (over the 2 days).

It is also possible to attend only on Sunday and do a one day only race that is not part of the championship (but on the same course) and also not as long, usually around 45 min - 1 hour race time.

To participate to the championship you need a FMSCT licence, which you can apply for on the spot at any race. Licence is not needed for people racing on Sundays only.

Entrance fee is 1,000 baht for "big bikes" and 700 for the small supercup bikes. Licence is 1,000 baht.

Fifth and last round of this year's champ. will be in Phuket next month. A bike shipping service is offered for 3,000 baht per bike which is pretty fair.

Last weekend was the fourth round, in Chiang Rai. There were around 40 bikes for the 2 days race, and another 50 bikes on the Sunday only.

Different categories with a personal note:

• ED1: Open - mostly 450F and some 250 2-strokes.
  • ED2: "lightweight" 250F - all the riders are very fast.
  • ED3: 250 production - mostly XR bikes with some KLX 140.
  • ED4: 250 novice - don't get fooled, this is Thailand, some sponsored riders even ride in the novice category. Any kind of bikes, from 250F motocrossers to Yamaha Serow.
  • ED5: open senior - don't know what the minium age to enter is.
  • ED6 and ED7: supercup bikes - small highly modified 125 bikes.

You can find info on the races on many websites, all are in Thai as far as I know :

WeekendHobby.com
ThaiLand Enduro
www.DirtShopThailand.com

As starting from now I'll post info on this forum about 2-3 weeks before each race (sometimes dates and location change at the last moment so I'll try to keep it up to date).

Over this last year the style of the courses changed a lot. It used to be around 3-4 stages in the woods (between 10 and 20km) and 1 MX test on a open field.
Now the race time and distance is highly increase, and mostly on closed loops (between 4 and 10 km loop). Which is good as it decreases the cheating options and harder to miss an arrow and get lost!
They are also improving the "MX test" stages on "really" MX tracks or enduro-cross style tracks which increases the technical difficulty (it usually gets messy when the small wheel bikes enter the course!).

Last comment... You need a bit of patience, Thais love to talk so the meetings before and after the race are looooooong and boring talks about the weather and the local news. And in the middle of it they'll drop a "at this stage if you go around the river and not in you get 30seconds penalty for each lap". And lot of waiting as well. If you don't like to wait go for the Sunday race only.

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

Apart from paying the 1000b what else is needed for the FMSCT licence?

I'd be very interested to get involved with this in the future.

Cheers

Hi,
Thanks for the info.
Apart from paying the 1000b what else is needed for the FMSCT licence?
I'd be very interested to get involved with this in the future.
Cheers

Any kind of ID and that's it. Better if you can read thai, all forms are in thai only and people there are not great with English.

Thanks MastaMax.

I was just thinking to myself to join in with this I'd imagine you would need to have quite a high level knowledge of the Thai language anyway.

It wouldn't be until next years enduro season that I would like to join in so I better get learning to read / write Thai!

It seems that this is terribly promoted outside of the Thai enduro /mx crowd, i'm sure there's numerous foreigners that would love to get involved in this, thanks for the help here Max.

Back
Top Bottom