Thai motorcycle registration papers stolen in Cambodia

Bora 31

Bikes
Honda CRF250L, Royal Enfield Bullet
Hi, guys! I would like to ask piece of advice about the following incident which happened in Phnom Penh.
My backpack with my Thai motorcycle registration papers (registered in Chiang Mai, Green book, taxes, insurance), Thai number plate (number plate frame broke week before and I was carrying it inside my backpack) and my driving license were stolen in Phnom Penh.
I have papers from Cambodian police, Immigration office and my embassy, confirming the incident. Next week I need to go back to Thailand by bike. I'll drive through the same border. But I'm still not sure that customs and immigration will let me in without original Thai bike registration papers.
Do you know if the Thai customs will let me in with only police reports (Khmer and English) instead of number plate and registration papers. Do I need something else from Cambodian officials?
Thanks for any suggestions and comments!

Hi, guys! I would like to ask piece of advice about the following incident which happened in Phnom Penh.
My backpack with my Thai motorcycle registration papers (registered in Chiang Mai, Green book, taxes, insurance), Thai number plate (number plate frame broke week before and I was carrying it inside my backpack) and my driving license were stolen in Phnom Penh.
I have papers from Cambodian police, Immigration office and my embassy, confirming the incident. Next week I need to go back to Thailand by bike. I'll drive through the same border. But I'm still not sure that customs and immigration will let me in without original Thai bike registration papers.
Do you know if the Thai customs will let me in with only police reports (Khmer and English) instead of number plate and registration papers. Do I need something else from Cambodian officials?

Would you happen to have copies of your greenbook (with you or at home)? Do you have a photo of your bike with the plate still on and clearly readable?

I think in Thailand the registration database can be searched for the frame and engine numbers, I am not sure if the Customs officers at the border can do that or they need to do it at a DLT office?

Make sure you speak enough Thai or arrange for a Thai speaking friend to be at hand to discuss with the Customs when you try to cross back in.

To my regret i don't have copies of Green book, but I have several photos with me and my bike, also have photo of number plate. The bike is registered on my name and I hope they have this information in their database.

One way or the other, you will have to try getting it back into Thailand again.
For sure you can missing paperwork and plate from the DLT where the bike is registered once you are back in Thailand, it may cost you but it can be solved.
As I said, try to get Thai speaking help getting back.

Thank you, Brake034, for your replies!
Hmmm, another challenge. Did anyone overstay more than 6 months with Thai bike in Cambodia? And how did you sort it out with Thai customs? Any real examples of bike confiscation?

If you have copies of the Thai documents and the Cambo police report, it shouldn't be an issue.

Maybe a good idea if Bob can add the two threads together? That way it is more clear and avoids dual answers.

Really no idea what Thai customs will do with a more than 6 months stay abroad, normally the export papers are valid for 1 month?
Did you get an extension of the 1 month when leaving Thailand?

On another note: your bikes are a CRF250 and a RE Bullet, do you have that Bullet in Thailand?

Thank you, Brake034! I didn't get extension.. I had no idea about that custom rule and customs didn't say anything.
As for the Bullet, it's in India.

Thai customs will be understandably suspicious that you lost all the paperwork and the plate.

I've only crossed the borders the other way, with a Cambo registered bike into Thailand.
Thai customs give me several A4 size documents for temp import and all the info goes on computer.

Were you given some kind of temp export papers by the Thai customs ? If so, they will have copies and it would be on their computer so should be no problem, if they believe your story.

No copies nothing. Everything was stolen with my bag:( Have only copies of number plate and driving licenses. When we were passing the border customs gave us export papers and also I think they put information in their computer.

By now, I hope you were allowed to re-enter Thailand,

FWIW:
I had my Suzuki-250 stolen in Sihanoukville, about 5-years ago.
Fortunately, due to friends and very minimally the Cambo police, I recovered the bike
and the drug addled Brit who stole it was later deported.
The thief had thrown away the bike's Thai license plate, Thai insurance stickers and had broken
the key lock to have access to the gas tank.
I did still had the Im/Ex document, which was issued in Thailand, prior to entering Cambo
and a police report from the Cambo police (for a mere 60-US ;) )
Upon seeking to re-enter Thailand, Customs didn't even look at the bike nor the
Cambo police report, they were only concerned that the bike was in their computer base.

I would imagine, that once you show Customs pix of you on your licensed bike, they will
just check their database to confirm it is the same licensed bike that initially left Thailand.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Dear guys, sorry for the late update, have had no internet access lately.So this is how the things were sorted out: we crossed the border and I explained the situation to the transport customs officer. I showed him some of my papers from Cambo police, photos of me and my bike in different locations and he said 'no problem'. The only problem was my bike's almost six-month overstay, so I had to pay 10,000 baht. They also suggested that I should file a report with a local tourist police regarding the stolen papers. I tried to do it in Trat, but there police said I should go Ko Chang! So I decided to go directly Bangkok ;) So it wasn't so difficult. Thank you for your support and suggestions.

Happy everything worked out for you in what could have been a very sticky situation, although the overstay put the icing on the cake.

Back
Top Bottom