Temporary exporting YOUR Thai registered motorcycle out of Thailand

crossing the border when the bike is not paid off completely (still having loan from the bank), therefore there is no Green Book, nor a copy of it to present.
Normally the finance company issues annually a copy of the greenbook, I think you can ask for it.
Normally the finance companies do NOT allow to bring the financed object abroad, as in the past expensive financed cars were bought to Laos to disappear there.....
However, occasionally finance companies may allow it but you have to apply for it, in that case they will hand you the greenbook and you will need to return it back to them after return.

Normally the finance company issues annually a copy of the greenbook, I think you can ask for it.
Normally the finance companies do NOT allow to bring the financed object abroad, as in the past expensive financed cars were bought to Laos to disappear there.....
However, occasionally finance companies may allow it but you have to apply for it, in that case they will hand you the greenbook and you will need to return it back to them after return.

That would explain why I have seen so seldom Thai Bikes in Cameron Highlands. It's such a nice landscape and so close to the Thai Border and South Thailand is boring to ride.......but if the nice big bike is not paid you must stay within the country......funny but so is Asia.....
If you have been ones in Lao with the big bike and have seen the absolutely senseless bureaucratic monster they have created to cross over.....Malaysia looks like a border between normal countries without paranoia.....

Greetings Andreas

footer.jpg

Perfect so the green book copy was smooth. Just asked Krungsri to send me the copy and they did so without hassle, not usual for me to get something easy.
so right now I will go to Samui land transport office to get it translated, pre-fill the tm forms, re-entry permit for myself, buy motor insurance (can even do online i guess) and thats it.
just wondering if the bike is BKK plate if they will be willing to translate here on samui and also if it is ok if i only bring the copy. Well lets see.
anyway thanks for the info

Perfect so the green book copy was smooth. Just asked Krungsri to send me the copy and they did so without hassle, not usual for me to get something easy.
so right now I will go to Samui land transport office to get it translated, pre-fill the tm forms, re-entry permit for myself, buy motor insurance (can even do online i guess) and thats it.
just wondering if the bike is BKK plate if they will be willing to translate here on samui and also if it is ok if i only bring the copy. Well lets see.
anyway thanks for the info

Yes .. Any DLT should give you a translation document, irrespective of where its registered. There is even a form that you fill in to request a translation.

One thing you will need to take is a copy of your passport, i tried in vain to get them to accept my Thai DL, they insisted on my passport - I went home, picked mine up along with a copy that i always have. Another waste of time, they didnt want to see the original passport, just another photocopy for their collection.

Just another question I am now thinking of...when you get the malay reg stickers, are you allowed to stick it over your thai reg plate? Because I really do not know where on my back to stick it as I have round shaped boxes.

FYI I have contacted a lady in Satun border who do the malay insurance and she said that it is ok to present green book in thai and she will type it in english to the computer and do the necessary papers. Then I guess she will attach all together and hope all the info will be there in english as well.

Anyone who is paying monthly installments and need original book to rent: the financial company is able to rent the book but a deposit need to be made. They asked me for 5,000 thb deposit + 500 thb fee. After giving back the original the 5000 deposit can be deducted from the total loan on your last month. I did not go for this optiondue to lack of time and hope they will be fine on the other side.

thanks for the info

Just another question I am now thinking of...when you get the malay reg stickers, are you allowed to stick it over your thai reg plate? Because I really do not know where on my back to stick it as I have round shaped boxes.

FYI I have contacted a lady in Satun border who do the malay insurance and she said that it is ok to present green book in thai and she will type it in english to the computer and do the necessary papers. Then I guess she will attach all together and hope all the info will be there in english as well.

Anyone who is paying monthly installments and need original book to rent: the financial company is able to rent the book but a deposit need to be made. They asked me for 5,000 thb deposit + 500 thb fee. After giving back the original the 5000 deposit can be deducted from the total loan on your last month. I did not go for this optiondue to lack of time and hope they will be fine on the other side.

thanks for the info

-- Stickers --

I have thought of this before, I have a permanent sticker on my windscreen and panniers but sometimes when riding with just a top box or nothing at all, then where do you put a sticker, across the lock of your box ?

I was going to get some kind of "future board" plate that would cover the Thai plate, but never got around to it as I was also wondering the same as you, is it correct ?

The JPJ at Wang Prachan were a$$hats when I didn't have a rear sticker, and made me walk back to the insurance office to collect one, but you look at other bikes they have them pointing in all directions where they can't be read.

I went through Sadao last week, and the JPJ guy didnt even move from behind his desk to check, Wang Prachan ( Satun ) did and he took photos, at Betong the guy are cool and helpful but they are very thorough - they even check the frame number.

-- Translation --
Yes, the girl at the insurance might be able to work off the green book, she's Thai after all, but will the JPJ accept it ? like I say, they can be a bit thorough. Others have said they don't bother with the translation, but for me, its not worth the trouble of not having one, takes 5 minutes to apply and 1 hour to wait while I'm having lunch and costs 30B ?

She will give you a pack containing a JPJ ICP application form, cover note, copy of passport, copy of your translation. The JPJ guys will also require you to produce your original DL.

-- Stickers --

I was going to get some kind of "future board" plate that would cover the Thai plate, but never got around to it as I was also wondering the same as you, is it correct ?

I have no experience with bikes - I drive a pick-up truck - but covering the Thai plate with a translated version in Thailand is a bit of a No-No. A few years ago the Land Transport Department insisted that I get official Thai translated plates but when I put them up (replacing the Thai language version) before going to Laos I was stopped by the police. The young policeman wanted to fine me but the older and more wisened police main told me OK it is illegal but as you are close to the border it is "OK".

There are official rules for translation so my plates on the truck which start with "Paw Waw" is translated as T 2 but I assume that the people at the border who translate the plate do know about these rules

From Thai Visa - there is already an established scheme used by thailand which translates Thai plates into english. It is not a direct transliteration. Rather, first letter in Thai alphabet (ก) = first letter in English Alphabet (A) and so on. When you run out of letters in English (26 vs 44 in Thai) you use numbers as the Thai alphabet continues. As such ส = 1. The province of registration in abbreviated english then follows. As such, สช 4458 registerd in Bangkok would be 1G 4458 BKK.

Where to put the plate (from Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_Thailand)

All DLT-registered vehicles are required to mount a registration plate in an easily visible position at the front and at the rear of the vehicle, except for motorcycles, for which only rear-mounting is required. Vehicles must also display an annual tax payment decal on the windshield or another visible location, depending on the type of vehicle.[1][2]

[1] กฎกระทรวง กำหนดขนาด ลักษณะ และสีของแผ่นป้ายทะเบียนรถ และการแสดงแผ่นป้ายทะเบียนรถและเครื่องหมายแสดงการเสียภาษีประจำปี พ.ศ. 2554 [Ministerial regulation specifying the dimensions, appearances and colors of vehicle registration plates and the display of vehicle registration plates and annual tax payment marks, B.E. 2554] (PDF). Royal Thai Government Gazette (in Thai) 128 (45 A): 6-12. 8 June 2011.
[2] ประกาศกรมการขนส่งทางบก เรื่อง กำหนดลักษณะ ขนาด สีของแผ่นป้ายเลขทะเบียนรถ และการแสดงแผ่นป้ายและเครื่องหมายแสดงการเสียภาษี พ.ศ. 2554 [Notification of the Department of Land Transport on specification of dimensions, appearances and colors of vehicle registration plates and the display of vehicle registration plates and annual tax payment marks, B.E. 2554] (PDF). Royal Thai Government Gazette (in Thai) 128 (44 D special): 52-53. 19 January 2011.

-- Stickers --

-- Translation --
Others have said they don't bother with the translation, but for me, its not worth the trouble of not having one, takes 5 minutes to apply and 1 hour to wait while I'm having lunch and costs 30B ?

She will give you a pack containing a JPJ ICP application form, cover note, copy of passport, copy of your translation. The JPJ guys will also require you to produce your original DL.

This you mean the translation from DLT right? Coz I am actually thinking to translate the book (the copy of it) by any other local service on Samui just to have it in case...or if there is any option of translation at the border crossing I will do so as well.

as for the sticker plate I definitely want to do it the legal way and put it there, front and back. I will probably nail a piece of plastic or something below the thai plate. Will deffinitely look 'brilliant' but better than a fine.

That's interesting info from lone rider - when the JPJ was being 'efficient' at Wang Prachan - he took a photo of both my front and rear stickers and lots of bikes her have both front and rear stickers permanently .. There is also a standard font and size of lettering - no one has mentioned the small letters that I use or the fancy fonts I see on cars / trucks.

I would say, a translation from an agency would carry the same weight as the insurance girls translation.

If you don't have time to sort it with the DLT, don't worry, just ride down there and plead ignorance. I think i read a post from cap. Slash where they sent him off to Satun DLT to get one, but here are people that post on other forums that don't bother even though they cross on a regular basis. You could also go into Hat Yai DLT and get one done in an hour.

For me, it's not worth having it for the number of times I use it.

Honestly, don't get too hung-up on stickers and translations - just enjoy the trip, go to the girl and let her do everything, she will cut the sticker up for you and just slap it across your boxes, it's Asia, it's not so much the visibility, it's the fact it's there and someone can tick a box.

Where are you heading ? Cameron highlands ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah will do as you say, I will have all the necessary papers except the official translation from DLT and I will use my best communication skills to explain them that I am still paying the bike monthly, therefore DLT is unable to do the translation without original Green Book and hope for a good man with a good sense.

Starting off in Penang and going south to Cameron Heights and Taman Negara NP. Then going north around Kenyir Lake to Terrenganu and take highway 4 back to Penang and then back to TH.

Will update any valuable info after the crossing.

Back
Top Bottom