Taking a thai plated bike not in my own name out of the country, how to?

Snakeboy

Bikes
Honda Crf 250L 2012, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere 2011
Happy New Year to everybody!

So I bought a Honda Crf250L a couple of years ago and since Im only spending a couple of months pr year in Thailand I found it easiest to get the registration in my thai gfs name. The bike has been great and taken me and sometimes my gf too more than 30 k kms around in Thailand. So far so good. This year Im spending more time here and thus I would like to take the Crf for a trip into Laos, and unfortunately my gf cannot come with me this time. I have done several motorbike trips in Laos but that have been with my own bike and one time on a organised group tour, so Im quite familiar with riding a bike in Laos. But I am unsure of the paperwork now since the bike Im using is not in my own name.
Is this that I found from some years back still the correct document, and are there other documents other than mentioned that are needed?

Anyone with recent experiences that can help? Thanks in advance!

Yes, it's still good, it may be also a good idea to make copies of the GF ID card, copies of the green book also signed by her

Be mindful many of the border points will not issue a visa on arrival any more, Houay Xai and VTE are the most user friendly at the moment.

Yes, it's still good, it may be also a good idea to make copies of the GF ID card, copies of the green book also signed by her

Be mindful many of the border points will not issue a visa on arrival any more, Houay Xai and VTE are the most user friendly at the moment.

Thanks a lot for your reply and info, much appriciated. So do I also need those tax stamps nowadays? I also read somewhere that it would be a good idea to get these documents signed at a police station to verify their validity.

Tax stamps i would say yes, but like most things it's on the day, never heard of needing to verify the documents but a visit to your local Boys In Brown wouldn't go amiss.

Whilst writing be mindful only Housay Xai and VTE are issuing visa on arrival.

One more thing - english translation of the green book. Some places its mentioned as needed too and some say its not needed. Will you say its needed or not?

I've always carried it only costs 40 baht I think but never been asked to produce it

I've always carried it only costs 40 baht I think but never been asked to produce it

It should only cost 25 Baht actually. You have to get a new one every year. I get it done at the same time all at once - pay road tax, 3rd party insurance and then do my paperwork to take my vehicle across the border. For a motorcycle, green book translation 25 Baht. For a car, purple book (new one is 50 Baht, renewal 25 Baht - lasts up to 3 years before you have to apply for a new one). For an additional 20 Baht, you also automatically get the registration translation as well (for a car). For Malaysia, different rules apply - license plate stickers front and back (for both cars and motorcycles).

Thanks a lot for your reply and info, much appriciated. So do I also need those tax stamps nowadays? I also read somewhere that it would be a good idea to get these documents signed at a police station to verify their validity.

Yes. Some say it's 10 Baht, others 30 Baht. Get them from the nearest Land Transport Department office and attach them yourself - no need to go to a police station. Very easy process to cross the border with a vehicle in someone else's name, provided you produce 1) power of attorney with 10 or 30 Baht stamps (preferably 30 Baht but I've also been allowed across with a 10 Baht stamp) 2) girlfriend's/friends ID card copy 3) tabien baan copy both signed and dated in the usual manner.

Thanks a lots guys for your advice and help, much appriciated,(y)(y)(y)

Back
Top Bottom