Taking motorcycle to laos

marcusb

Bikes
ER6N, ninja 250 klx 250 ritchey olmo santa cr
I have ridden into Laos quite a few times but I want to leave my bike there this time. I will be going over to Vientiane for 3 days, then coming back to Thailand for 3 days, without the bike and then back to Laos. I got a job there and need to go find accommodation and then move up. I am positive I can't import it but can I keep it there for 30 days, 60 days? When I come into Thailand without the bike will there be questions?

Also for later on I am curious if I can take a laos registered bike (crf probably) easily across the border and back. My guess is small borders will be fine and friendship bridges will be a coin toss.... but thats just a guess.

Thanks for any info

marcus

Marcusb ...Laos customs will normally issue only 2 weeks temporary import into Laos, auke and others have told me they have received 30 days also in the passed.

You shouldn't have any problems with immigration either side coming back without the bike.

Laos registered bikes, there's lots of confusion as not many people cross borders with them. The Laos registered bike would have to be in your name for sure to cross an international border & not sure how you would achieve that.

Not sure about it as I don't know if the Thai Customs and the Immigration computers are linked - The Lao Customs and Immigration computers are linked as both the purplebook (the translation of the Thai registration book) and the passport details are entered by the Immigration guy in their computer system.

Guess that it should not be a big problem but in case it is, the temporary import into Laos is cheap (about 260 Baht or so). At the Nongkhai/Vientiane crossing they normally will give you a 7 day import permit on the Lao side but you can ask for a longer period (I normally ask for 14 days which they have never refused nor asked why I need a longer stay). Crossing at the bridge is indeed a toss-up although at the moment it seems that riding a bike over the bridge is allowed at most places.

Not sure if you can bring a Lao registered bike into Thailand. In all the times I have crossed the border between Laos and Thailand I have never seen a Lao registered bike crossing so it probably is difficult. Maybe Midnite Mapper can shed some light on that.

The laos bike would be in my name, I'll have a multiple entry business visa and a Laos ID card shortly so buying one shouldn't be difficult, but as mentioned I also have never seen a Laos bike cross into Thailand. It may work out easier to keep one of my thai registered bikes in Nong Khai. Bus across on friday afternoons and ride from there.

Thanks for the input guys.

Back
Top Bottom