Suggestions for 3 day loop ride in Chang Mai?

NBABUCKS1

Bikes
Rental!
(I'll preface this by saying I completely understand that I am posting this in the wrong forum. I am posting this here because it appears this forum get's the most traffic and thus this post will hopefully get the most responses..and mods feel free to move this as you see fit ;) )

So I am on Thailand on holiday by myself for 5 weeks. I was lucky enough to hook up w/ a fellow quasi Alaskan who put me in touch w/ Phil who put me in touch w/ someone (Tony maybe?) who is renting me a bike.

I'd like to do a 3 day loop w/ stays in different cities.

I would like any and all recommendations for a route to take! (I would love someone to link me to a 3 day ride report in the area that they recommend)

(Not that it matters but I ride a dr650 back in Alaska....also I plan on leaving Wed 7/6)

Of course n00b trip report will follow!

Thanks in advance

The first thing i would suggest is have a look through some of Colin's trip reports here:

captain-slash-reports-f37.html

He is a plethora of information on roads and some great routes are contained in this section. This will give you a taste of what you can expect and what you're looking to achieve.

NBABUCKS1 said:
I'd like to do a 3 day loop w/ stays in different cities.

I would like any and all recommendations for a route to take! (I would love someone to link me to a 3 day ride report in the area that they recommend)

Depends a bit on what you want to do or like to see, go fast or take your time. A lot of people do the Pai/Mae Hong Son Loop or the Golden Triangle Loop and some like to do the Nan loop. Not sure though if the Nan loop is feasible as last week they experienced floods in that area.

MHS Loop.JPG

GT Loop.JPG

All are nice for riding - lots of curves and bends and nice scenery. The Pai loop will take two days although you can take 3 days for it and the Golden Triangle Loop - Phayao, Fang, Tha Ton, Doi Mae Salong, Mae Sai, Golden Triangle, Chiangkhong and back to Chiangmai.

Guys from Malaysia did recently do parts of these loops - maybe you should have a look at their trip report and in particular page 3 and 4 of jobless-wanderers-thailand-laos-cambodia-2011-t478-24.html

Just let us know what/where your interests are so that we can make better suggestions for trips.[

Another quick 3 day route for you with some of the most fun roads in Thailand.

Day 1 - Chiang Mai to Nan (including route 1148), probably 6 hours of moving time.

cnx to nan.jpg

Day 2 - Nan to Chiang Rai (including teh Bo Kluea loop), 7 hours moving time.

nan to chiang rai.jpg

Day 3 - Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai, easy last day 4 hours of moving time.

CR to cnx.jpg

Phil-
I really appreciate the recomendations

What I want in a trip is:

1. Good views/scenery
2. A chance to see some towns that are a bit more off the beaten path and 'sleepy' I was expecting this in Chang Mai, and am finding it to be a bit 'big' and overwhelming. I come from small towns and love small towns :mrgreen:
3. Not very busy roads.

I don't want to ride all day, but I do want to do a fair bit of riding.

Again I can't thank you guys enough for the recombination.

I'll call you tonight just to reconfirm everything Phil!

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom