Street Legal Enduro Bike..KTM??

Clarky

Bikes
CRF250l, KTM 690E
Well its been 4 months now since i bought the CRF250L, great bike. Been chucking this bike about and having great fun, now its time to upgrade i reckon. Something lighter and with adjustable suspension.

So i am looking for advice for a street legal enduro bike available in Thailand that is higher specks than the CRF or KLX. Can the KTM 250 or 350 EXC-f be registered for the road here?

Are there any others that could be considered, and what would be the chances of getting a 2nd hand bike?

Cheers, Clarky

But 350 exc with "ready to race engine" , means u need to service every 10 hour riding for asia market ... that kind of stop most of ppl ...
Well its been 4 months now since i bought the CRF250L, great bike. Been chucking this bike about and having great fun, now its time to upgrade i reckon. Something lighter and with adjustable suspension.

So i am looking for advice for a street legal enduro bike available in Thailand that is higher specks than the CRF or KLX. Can the KTM 250 or 350 EXC-f be registered for the road here?

Are there any others that could be considered, and what would be the chances of getting a 2nd hand bike?

Cheers, Clarky

This is the problem..

The market is either klx / crf for cheap.. Or 4 times as much for the next step up..

If you can handle it not being light, there's drz's or sometimes xr400s around.. Depends on what kind of riding you want to do.

Thanks, some good info there. Wow i didnt realise the service intervals were so low. Don't think thats the bike for me then.

As i travel out of Thailand for work at short notice sometimes, i think the temporary import would be too risky for me. Wouldn't be long before i missed a border run.

Ive been looking at the KTM 350 Freeride online this morning, and as a newbie to offroad i think this bike could be more suited to my needs. Been riding around some pretty steep rutted hills and tight trails near Pattaya at the weekends. So the lightness and ease of handling on this could be perfect. Not sure how it will cope in the deep sand here though, a new set of dual sport tyres could sort that. So yep, its not gonna be cheap:)

Will go and give KTM a phone now and see what the prices are to have it fully imported to Thailand from Phnom Penh.

Sefton ....any decent condition Honda XR 400 R's (must be the R in enduro spec) around in PP, Cambodia for sale? Wouldn't mind picking one up.

Just called KTM PP, 1 Freeride available, expected delivery in the shop tomorrow. Price $11585.

Called KTM in Bangkok, 479 000 Baht and in stock, He also told me that the Freeride cannot be road registered in Thailand due to exhaust pollution not meeting Thai standards!!

Surely he has that wrong. I thought one of the main points of this bike was to comply with strict noise and pollution regulations?

But can it be registered in Cambodia, then you bring it to Thailand on temporary import and go to the border every 6 months?

Just called KTM PP, 1 Freeride available, expected delivery in the shop tomorrow. Price $11585.

Called KTM in Bangkok, 479 000 Baht and in stock, He also told me that the Freeride cannot be road registered in Thailand due to exhaust pollution not meeting Thai standards!!

Surely he has that wrong. I thought one of the main points of this bike was to comply with strict noise and pollution regulations?

Yes, when i spoke to KTM in PP they said it could be registered there no problem.

I am sure the KTM guy here in Thailand must have got it wrong, maybe lost in translation. Jock to Thai not easy:)

I checked back on the forum here, and saw in classifieds that Jamie had replied to a request back in February about prices and green book for the freeride. So hopefully its doable as i dont want to do the 6 monthly border crossings.

btw freeride is same engine with exc 350 "both also ready to race", different is smaller chassis and much shorter gear ratio (top speed 70kmh), much better torque .... but ain't good for city riding at all ...
check with ur local dealer, i get this info with malaysia ktm dealer :)

Clarky - if you want to get a Freeride with a Thai plate on it, you would be better off buying from Jamie re. cost. He told me 335k (inc' taxes - ready to ride off-road price) recently. Plating @75k extra iirc...

Sonny - the Freeride is detuned and so less maintenance hungry.

Hi Chris, are you still thinking about getting one or did you order already?

Clarky - if you want to get a Freeride with a Thai plate on it, you would be better off buying from Jamie re. cost. He told me 335k (inc' taxes - ready to ride off-road price) recently. Plating @75k extra iirc...

Sonny - the Freeride is detuned and so less maintenance hungry.

ok, but from ktm malaysia they told me samething .... no worry i pay them a visit soon :)

Will go and give KTM a phone now and see what the prices are to have it fully imported to Thailand from Phnom Penh.

KTM Thailand quoted me 465 plated.. Back at the point they said they expected it to be emissions passed.

479 and unplated makes no sense at all.. Killer expensive.

Sefton ....any decent condition Honda XR 400 R's (must be the R in enduro spec) around in PP, Cambodia for sale? Wouldn't mind picking one up.

Will look..

Theres a fully sorted XR650R for 3800 USD.

Burly dual sport. Heavy to kick over tho.

FOR SALE Honda XR650R 2002
Super reliable trail and touring bike
Acerbis long range fuel tank
Honda rear sub-frame & Carry Rack
All lights fitted
Renthal bars
Water cooled
Aluminum frame
Kick-start
New wiseco piston kit - 1km on it, needs running in, (if we do it I'll give 6 months warranty on piston+rings)
New Front and Rear off-road Tyre's
New front brake pads
Race front brake caliper and disc
Whole bike just had full service
Ready to go
All taxes paid and registered in expats name, (easy to transfer)
$3800 o.n.o (for quick sale, should be well over 4k)
Call 012 200513

20121113_164318.jpg

Hi Chris, are you still thinking about getting one or did you order already?

A Freeride is one option, and I'm OK with the 6 month runs, so cheapest option, I think for me, is Jamie importing a foreign plated bike.

But, I'm pretty keen on the idea of getting an enduro/sumo conversion bike. Fancy being able to bob out for a spin a few times a month in sumo mode, then swap back over for off-road trips. Don't mind the mechanical stuff... Although I sure don't need a 450 for off-road, it'd be better for on-road sumo, so thinking of getting a 350/450 something... i might even do a temp import on a plated, used and already converted enduro/sumo from the UK. Hmmmm...

i might even do a temp import on a plated, used and already converted enduro/sumo from the UK. Hmmmm...

When you look at ebay.co.uk on light used enduro stuff.. Especially with summer closing. .some insane deals..

The getting it, shipping it part of the equation seems a hassle tho..

just visit ktm dealer here (malaysia).
they offer rm 45,000 (bath 450000) on road, if off road (minus tax and so on), should be much cheaper ....
i try to scan the catalog for u guy :)

You can't register it in the Uk if you claim the VAT back for export. Therefore you then can't qualify for temporary import.

Too big & heavy --watch out for an XR 400 R if you can

FOR SALE Honda XR650R 2002
Super reliable trail and touring bike
Acerbis long range fuel tank
Honda rear sub-frame & Carry Rack
All lights fitted
Renthal bars
Water cooled
Aluminum frame
Kick-start
New wiseco piston kit - 1km on it, needs running in, (if we do it I'll give 6 months warranty on piston+rings)
New Front and Rear off-road Tyre's
New front brake pads
Race front brake caliper and disc
Whole bike just had full service
Ready to go
All taxes paid and registered in expats name, (easy to transfer)
$3800 o.n.o (for quick sale, should be well over 4k)
Call 012 200513

20121113_164318.jpg

James Cargo can fly it for @1k gbp... Or Jamie can ship it - but don't know what he charges.

EDIT: might even be able to claim the VAT back...
HM Revenue & Customs

I doubt you would get the VAT back and get a UK reg.. Required if doing temp import..

Temp import I figure is easier than the process of knock down and parts.. Especially as I am hearing that used parts frames may be a problem.. This story going around of someone going to collect the frame posted in to find customs had taken a torch to it and cut it in 2 !!

But then to do a temp import.. you also have to budget leaving thailand, returning on a short stay visa, etc etc.. Cant temp import (through bangkok) on a non imm as your not a tourist.

The bigger the bike more sense it makes.. Lots less so for 'cheaper' bikes as so much gets eaten up in shipping, admin, then visa running.. Almost easier to have a legal local plated bike and unplated enduro.

Yep, trying to figure and price it up... I have a UK flight already booked for xmas and could get a multi-entry tourist visa for this return.

Various things/people/factors 'in the mix'!

I haven't looked into the VAT larky much. Guess you're both probably right - at least, think it would be another p.i.t.a. chore.

Why not go for exc-f 350 six day version ? is just slight extra but come with ton of accessory ?
or exc 500 ? with similar prices, weight (10 lbs extra) but 150cc more (which can't be mod) :)

sorry for noob question. just curiosity and extra knowledge gain ... thanks

Will look..

Theres a fully sorted XR650R for 3800 USD.

Burly dual sport. Heavy to kick over tho.

If it is fully sorted, ie, carburetor has correct jets and level, the valves are set correctly, correct and clean spark plug, then it will start by dropping your boot down after top dead center is passed with the decompression lever. My daughter can start a XR650R, and it has been know to be started by hand. There is contary to popular belief a non kick back gear in the kick start mechanics, it will not throw you back over the bars. Some after market cams are unable to use the manual decompessor (ie,Stage 2 cams).

They can be a pain to start when flooded, stalled up a steep hill, stalled in a river etc. Knowledge from a decade of owning and riding one.

Spoke with Jamie this week, and getting the 350 Freeride plated in Thailand is still very much a grey area. Would be a great bike for short trips.

Thai emmissions regulations are actually the toughest in the world . they take the Euro and Californian standards as a baseline , then tweek them to extract more tax money and consequently more time wasting restrictions and bureaucracy and tea money .
THIS ONLY BENEFITS DOMESTIC PRODUCERS .

also it all bullshit when you see all the smoke belching polluting vehicles on the roads , which in Europe or USA would be impounded and scrapped .

Phil, once i asked about green booking the 350 freeride and was told it might be tricky, i forgot to get the latest prices. Chris mentioned before 335K -/- 75K for a green book for the freeride.

I did ask about the 690 Enduro R and latest price was 480K +/- 75K for a green book, He did mention that since he has started to source bikes from USA instead of Europe it may come in a bit less. Delivery would be about 2 weeks longer at around 6 weeks.

Ye man, i laugh my ass of when i am told a Freeride is not clean enough for Thailand. Most likely KTM THailand thought, well we wont sell many of these, lets not bother getting it regulated and fuck every one else...grrrr

Phil, once i asked about green booking the 350 freeride and was told it might be tricky, i forgot to get the latest prices. Chris mentioned before 335K -/- 75K for a green book for the freeride.

I did ask about the 690 Enduro R and latest price was 480K +/- 75K for a green book, He did mention that since he has started to source bikes from USA instead of Europe it may come in a bit less. Delivery would be about 2 weeks longer at around 6 weeks.

Ye man, i laugh my ass of when i am told a Freeride is not clean enough for Thailand. Most likely KTM THailand thought, well we wont sell many of these, lets not bother getting it regulated and fuck every one else...grrrr

feedback from malaysia ktm, freeride is most cleaner KTM ride, including detune 350 exc-f engine (half bhp) n green eco exhaust system (twin output) ...

Why not go for exc-f 350 six day version ? is just slight extra but come with ton of accessory ?
or exc 500 ? with similar prices, weight (10 lbs extra) but 150cc more (which can't be mod) :)

sorry for noob question. just curiosity and extra knowledge gain ... thanks

Hey Sonny, Dont think these bikes would get plated for the Road in Thailand. And thats what i was after, a bike that i can ride around through Town to get be to the off-road tracks. Pattaya is crazy for cops pulling you over in town, so i need to be fully legal. I know of a few guys outside Pattaya that run unplated bikes with no problem. I am sure the Freeride will get cleared for the road at some point. But until then i will stick with what i have for trail riding..

Back
Top Bottom