South-East Asia on motorbikes

Fabzil

Bikes
Kawasaki ER-5
Hello!

I hope that you reader are good today and I wish you a Happy New Year!
smile.gif

I'm currently struggling to understand what I really need to do to get this thing down.
confused1.gif

I want to buy a motorbike in Thailand, ride it on the territory for approx. 3 weeks, then cross to Cambodia, ride there for approx. 3 weeks, then cross to Laos, ride there 3 weeks, and finally to the same in Vietnam.

Now, I knew already that I couldn't cross the border into Vietnam with a Thai motorbike, so I would have to sell my bike in Laos, cross on foot, and then buy a bike again (or rent it, 'cause only 3 weeks)

But more I look into all the others issues, more I got confused... Rules changes, some advices you find in the net are working but are illegals, etc...
doh.gif

I will add details so you will see I searched before and I'm not just an asshole waiting for you to bake my cake.

Apparently, in Thailand, I can not buy a bike without a "Certificat of Residence", but some people that you can.
Also, If I leave the country I will be given a document "Temporary Export" that means that I need to bring back the bike before 30 days, otherwise I need to pay a fine
Then I need various document when crossing the border (but those seems pretty easier to get)

Now I understand why there is so many agencies offering motorbike tour for tourists, because it's a bloody hell of paperwork, damn'!

So, basically, could you please
helpsmilie.gif
me with the situation I just described? If you're in Bangkok we can share a
beer.gif
:]

Fabzil

P.S. : after reading this blog post, it seems that the best solution for me is to go buy in in Malaysia, what do you think about it ?

The issue is asia doesnt have a clear precise rulebook... Even one country can have many different issues and processes in different places or even the same place on different days. Eg crossing into Thailand from Malaysia you can ignore the paperwork if you choose(but you then cant cross out at any other border without it), its a nearly open border, yet the northern borders are very different. So anyones advice is a guide only and you cannot ever really state "this is how it is" even if it just happened to you that day, as tomorrow who knows.

1) To legally register a bike in your name in thailand you need to have a certificate of residence / proof of address. Depending on your visa class you can get this from immigration or your embassy. No way around that usually.

2) Yes leaving / entering the country you get temporary export / temporary import docs.. You legally cannot buy the bike in Thailand and then dump it in another country when you leave, but you wouldnt be the first to do this. Possibly best to plan a circular route tho.

3) the Docs you need are pretty normal, passport, bike ownership papers etc.. Recently Laos started asking for an extra letter (still happening ??) but nothing thats impossible or too hard to get.

How long are you planning ?? 12 weeks total ?? I would say many people with this idea bite off more than they can chew, and end up skimming through.. Theres a huge amount of ground to cover in those 4 countries and I would focus on really exploring a smaller area, taking time in its cities and getting a feel.. Than simply trying to check each one off.

Vietnam as you discovered will be difficult / impossible to get a bike in (slim possibility at one border or the much more risky trick at the special economic zone). Cambodia also seems to have it head firmly up its arse and can be difficult. Some border crossings much more of a problem than others. Checking up to date and budgeting time to try multiple entry points is needed.

Vietnam bikes seem to be expensive, especially big bikes.. I had a great experience dealing with Hung at flamingo travel for bike rentals, have no reservations about recommending him again. A Thai bike 'should' with a bit of stress, be able to do the Thai / Laos / Cambo side. I would use a Thai bike for that and either drop vietnam off the trip or rent for vietnam.

I should point out 'big bikes' are much cheaper in cambodia, tho poorly maintained and limited selection. You can get them in your name easily enough and could be used that way too. Thailand has a huge selection of bikes 250cc and under tho.

Cant see any advantage in going to buy a Malaysian bike.

Woaw, now that's the anwser everyone was waiting for a long time :D !!
Thx you man it was torough !
I realize that this is gonna be just hell and I don't like it... Maybe it will take the bus like I did before and rent a bike for the day from time to time...
I'm in Thailand with a tourist visa so it's gonna be hell to find a certificat of residence.

About Malaysia, well according to the blog post all you need is a passeport and a stamp on it. So that would be much easier.

Back
Top Bottom