Sorry to bring some sad news - Captain Slash

Derek has just advised that McKean is closed to all visitors until further notice. Luckily, we were able to get Colin set up with his laptop and Netflix during Martin's last couple of visits. Martin is now safely back in NZ, in isolation for a couple of weeks. Good luck Colin.

As much as I hope Colin can respond at some stage, he was encountering difficulties with the laptop. Still, he's in good hands and is getting both rehabilitation and occupational therapy that Martin was able to confirm as conforming to best practice.

1584934606054.png

Further to the closure, Andrea came up with and instituted a brilliant idea. She bought butcher's paper, pens and double-sided tape. Tum and I took a poster out today, signed by our staff and Lachie - and the security guy, who knows me, waved me straight through. The door to the wards was locked, but a nurse came out and took our poster, saying she knew what to do, so I'm guessing Andrea had already primed her.

Lachie and I have also received on-line messages from Colin and he's responded to a post on the Ulysses Club Thailand Facebook page. He's noted that it's difficult to respond.... and I know his computer is snowed under with messages. He's doing OK.

Derek rang the Head Nurse the other day too - and posted this to the Ulysses Club Thailand FB page:

"Paratee apologises but as expected she has been very busy and meetings every day. Colin continues to improve, he can understand more and his speech continues to improve. There has been more physical exercise and he has regained more movement in his right leg but so far none in his right arm. I understand he has been complaining some and wants to go home but obviously that is not going to happen. He can now spend more time in a wheelchair in which he can now spend 15 minutes at a time. They have also been talking to the insurance company as Colins next hospital appointment in Suan Dok is getting closer. I think everyone, including McKean appreciates that may not be a wise move as Suan Dok has more cases of the Chinese virus. So, they are in discussions about having the test done at McCormick or another hospital but it sounded like McCormick would be favourite where there will be less patients and safer for Colin to visit. That is all the news for now."

I have a healthy dose of scepticism about what is meant there by "go home".... and I suspect that just means "get out of hospital".... but time will tell.

We will be taking a new poster out every day... and if anyone wants to pop in to Rider's Corner and sign it (appropriate social distancing please - and handwash is available)... they are welcome to do so.

Derek spent yesterday with Colin at Bangkok Hospital, where he'd gone for tests. Excellent results (see Ulysses FB for details).

Meanwhile... Colin called Andrea tonight whilst we were chatting. Had a good phone conversation, albeit a bit softly spoken and with not all sentences complete. It's a remarkable improvement. He's asked me to take bacon and eggs in for him tomorrow too.

Derek was able to speak to the head nurse again today and she's really happy with Colin's progress. She says his right arm and right leg movement has improved from 0 to 2+. Not sure of the scale she's using, but I suspect (and hope) it's 5. Must remember to ask her.

Colin's phone has carked it and we were trying to buy him a second-hand smartphone (that'll be a change for him... his old phone is a pre-smarts Nokia, or something like that)... but we ran into shop closures, etc. Mark Murray, aka Humble, has most generously donated a phone and we'll get that to Colin tomorrow. He's still hampered (being right-handed) on the computer... but we should get some face-time with him with the new gear. It's nigh on two months he's been cooped up, and contact has been lacking since the shutdown.

We had a chuckle today, a certain lady who shall remain nameless, had just restocked the beer in his fridge. It wasn't for Colin, of course, but the odd thirsty visitor had availed himself of it. It'll still be there for when the shutdown is lifted.

We've been sending posters out to Colin, given we weren't allowed to visit... and taking him some food and things. Mostly Andrea, with me providing a break for her. She's been a real trooper and is motivated to get Colin well.

McKean have lifted the visiting ban, which is terrific. Two visitors allowed at any one time, 3pm to 6pm only. I'm not sure if it includes weekends, as I didn't get there yesterday. Temp test at entry and masks to be worn.

1589084696870.png

He's much improved, but he needs a lot of pushing to make sure he keeps improving. He's still very limited with the use of his right arm and leg. This is about the limit with the right arm. He needs to be doing a shitload more exercises.... and it's down to us to push him to do it.

If you can visit - and are healthy - get out there and kick his arse. Get him working. Please.

Andrea turned up yesterday at pretty much the same time as me and we had a good chat with Colin. We also polished off the last of the beer in the fridge.... as the head nurse had expressed some displeasure at its presence, so sorry.... it's a dry room now.

Colin's in good spirits and we hassled him about doing more exercises with his right arm and leg.

More Colin, more.......

Attachments

• 000Colinmay20.jpg
    000Colinmay20.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 229
Long time since an update. Lachie and I visited Colin yesterday - I hadn't been to see him for a couple of weeks. I was impressed with his physical improvement - his ability to lift his arm and leg on the right side has definitely improved. He says he isn't bored at all, as he's reviewing a lot of his threads on this forum. However, and don't shoot me for saying this Colin, I wasn't happy with his verbal performance yesterday. He's pretty good.... but I think there's room for improvement.

I don't think that's down to Colin - it's down to us.

Let's put it bluntly - Colin needs more visitors. He needs more English-language visitors in particular.... to keep his verbal skills improving.

Colin is making steady recovery and is very stoic.
Agree with you Ian, he enjoys and needs visitors.

Last edited:
IMG20200923154746 (002).jpg

Update - we visited Colin yesterday with Garry and Oom. We had to wait a while to see him, as he was having rehab treatment... hence the lay-down afterwards. Good to see you mate.

Derek, Two-wheels and Ning are seeing him today, sorting out some visa issues to ensure no surprises with ongoing treatment.

GetAttachmentThumbnail-5.jpg

Colin says "Hi" to his friends out there.
He is making noticeable progress with his recovery and is still at McKean Rehab Centre.
Colin is even now talking about bikes and riding clothing! (y)

Today Colin has been transferred to the Dok Kaew section of McKean.
This will give him more space and the chance to become more mobile and semi independent.
We are all hoping this move will benefit Colin both physically and emotionally; he will have much more
interaction with other residents.

Colin is in room 303 at Dok Kaew (see above) and welcomes visitors.
He granted permission for these photos to be published.
So far, so good at the new and larger facility.

GetAttachmentThumbnail-6.jpg

We visited Colin today and were impressed with his steady progress.
He now has more independence and mobility and his throttle hand is slowly regaining use! (y)

That's really good to hear. The throttle/brake lever hand is quite essential. Hopefully Colin will be back on two wheels before too long. Incidentally Colin mentioned in an email that his insurance company had abandoned him as they wanted him to return to the UK (to complete his recuperation on the NHS I assume!). But Colin was having nothing of it and is now financing his care himself. Thailand is still the best place for him. Even with an imminent vaccination programme it'll be quite a while before Blighty gets back to normal. And besides it's bloody freezing and dark here!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Transalp General Discussion 27
Back
Top Bottom