Sorry to bring some sad news - Captain Slash

Ally

Bikes
PCX - with custom valve caps
Last evening I became aware that Colin had suffered a stroke and was taken to Maharaj Nakorn Chiang Mai Hospital - Sripat Building (thats the large building at the front) 9th Floor Stroke Unit (out of the lift turn left) - Direct line 053 936 671

Visiting time closes at 19:00

I visited Colin this afternoon and was able to talk with him. He was able to respond to my conversation and understood many things I spoke about. He smiled & grimaced when I spoke about hospital staff, the prospect of hospital food & asking where he parked his bike. But sadly Colin is only currently able to partially respond.

Colin appears to have lost the right side due to the stroke. Colin's brother in the UK is in touch with the hospital.

Apart from that, I have no wish to add further information here.

Let us hope Colin is able to pull through this and be up on his feet again as soon as possible.

Thanks Ally. Hope all goes well.

Thank you Ally, please extend my best wishes for a fast recovery to Colin.

Ally,

Do you have any update on Colin? I was going down to the hospital this morning, but given the red light by the Bat out of hell and her mates as with my recent complictions etc.... Say no more, will tell Colin when I see him when he has been discharged. Was his op a success or I guess unknown yet.

M

We've been posting updates to Facebook.

We're seeing improvements every day, but a long way to go still - his speech has improved to an understandable (with difficulty) level.

I'll pass on your message Muzz. There was no operation done possibly because it took days to locate his insurance papers. The hospital would not operate without them.

We've been posting updates to Facebook.

We're seeing improvements every day, but a long way to go still - his speech has improved to an understandable (with difficulty) level.

I'll pass on your message Muzz. There was no operation done possibly because it took days to locate his insurance papers. The hospital would not operate without them.
Thank you Sir, I am srill in the recovery stages of Pneumonia. My X wife “ The Bat out of Hell” doesn’t want me in the Ciity yet. I’m sure Colin will understand.. Pete him know the coffee are on him when he is better and we cam meet up again.....??????

Hell no - the coffees are on me. We've even convinced Colin to drink them.

1581919272516.png

Some more improvements. Full update on the Ulysses Club Thailand FB page

Thanks for the info about Colin. I became worried when his ride reports suddenly ceased and half imagined he'd been a victim of some mad Thai driver. I never considered a stroke. I wrote to him a few days ago asking if he was ok but (of course) didn't get a reply which made me even more concerned. A stroke is not ideal but it sounds like he's making a slow recovery.

(Colin and I live in the same part of the UK and he's been to visit my place in Kanchanaburi several times. Last summer we met up for a coffee at the BMW bike dealer in Guildford - free coffee!)

Get well soon, Colin!

Attachments

• VIRB0386.jpg
    VIRB0386.jpg
    529.5 KB · Views: 276
Sleeping this morning when a couple of us took in some more supplies. I'll smuggle in some more French Fries and Onion Rings in a little while. Bad as that sounds, the nurses were most appreciative, because we finally got him eating.

Good to hear Colin is back to eating (albeit I suspect his usual wierd diet!). Please keep the updates coming on here as I don't have Facebook. It's good to know Colin has friends to visit and help him out. Please convey my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Roger

Best wishes to him from Myanmar

Best wishes to him from Myanmar

I will pass them on for you.

Deere just got back from supporting 8 Czech riders over the last 12 days. First thing he said (after "yes" to a beer) was "Go see Colin". We're on our way there now.

Others are updating the Ulysses Club Thailand post on Colin too. Sorry for those who don't do FB... but if anyone has time to do cut and pastes, feel free

I had my friends in Kanchanaburi phone the hospital this morning and they report that Colin is doing fine and he should be leaving hospital soon. That's good news. Unfortunately the hospital wouldn't discuss details of his stroke but that's fairly understandable.

A clip from the Ulysses Club, Thailand update thread.

Colin seemed to be a lot happier now - his speech is starting to get better, which is not to say that it is good, but he has a lot more words that he can say. He's very quiet and slurs a lot. Some words are totally jumbled. He's still unable to move his right arm or leg.

We (Len and I) arrived just before his chicken salad lunch today, which he rejected. Luckily, we had bacon and eggs with french fries with us, which he demolished.

I was able to get his brother Martin and Colin connected on the phone again, and they had a good chat, although it was 99% one-sided. His brother is hoping to be here for a week, two weeks from now.

Ron has picked up the rest of Colin's gear, so he's clear of the guesthouse... and I've got his bike here (Rider's Corner).

Still no resolution on the rehab issue.

And bingo.... finally, the insurance company has accepted the claim.

That's excellent news for Colin, thanks for the update.

Another clip from Ulysses Club Thailand page....

Lachie and I visited Colin today. We'd been assured he was to be relocated to McKean on Friday, but that hadn't happened and he was in a pretty basic general ward and understandably was a bit pissed off with the world... which isn't necessarily a bad thing. His verbal expression was the best yet, driven by his annoyance with where he was. It was good to see him fired up and wanting better than he has.

Getting to the bottom of why was less important to us than getting it solved. We're assured he's being moved tomorrow... and we suspect that it was either the insurance or the absence of English speakers over the weekend at McKean - or even too many cooks spoiling the broth. He's going tomorrow even if I have to wheel him there in a borrowed wheelchair. The head nurse in the general ward says he's going and that she has his medical files.

It would be nice if some more of Colin's wider group of friends here could pay a visit and encourage his rehabilitation. Several of the early support team are now out of town and it's a hard row Colin has ahead of him.

Good on you Ian for looking after Colin and updating everyone... I'm currently working overseas otherwise I would have payed him a visit already. Back on the 30th.

Jim

Thanks Jim. Colin is now, finally, in rehab. He's out your way Jim - at McKean. I'm told the food there is more to his liking than the hospital in town.

Update re Colin.

A few of us have been working with Colin's Guest House staff, his Consulate, insurance, Sriphat ICU and then General Ward and McKean Rehabilitation Centre to ensure Colin receives the best possible treatment.
He is now happily ensconced at McKean Rehab Centre and commencing his physical rehab program.
There is a noticeable improvement in Colin's general condition but much therapy needs to be done.
Oh, and his Honda steed is being well cared for!

McKean map is below and the Nurse Station nearest Colin is 053 817268.
Visiting is between 10am and 9pm.

Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 12.23.01 PM.jpg

Last edited:
1583288556222.png

He's in the Ulysses Club ward.

Spent some time with Colin today. It was good to be with him.

Thanks for the update Ally, now I'm back in Thailand will pop over from CR next week.

Andrea and I were with Colin today whilst he had his rehabilitation session with Ploy. She's terrific and is really stretching his mental and physical abilities. These exercises included him having to count the repetitions, which was a great way to get his speech up to speed too.

Still no feeling in his right leg, but he could feel pain in his right hand. I'm taking that as a good sign. His bike is now safely tucked away in Len's spare room. Martin (Colin's brother) gets in around midnight on the 14th and is staying with us at Rider's Corner. I'm not sure if he's a rider (will check), but if not, he may need lifts to and from the hospital.

1583405836281.png

He's right into the much better food here at McKean.

Thanks for the update Ally, now I'm back in Thailand will pop over from CR next week.

Great Bob, I am sure he will appreciate the visit. I know other people are visiting, the more the merrier, to break the monotony and also exercise his mind.

Progress looks good, i will stop by to see him on the 13th.

Please when you see Colin, give him my best wishes. I haven't tried emailing him as I guess that's a bit beyond him at present. If you could leave a note for his brother when he comes to Thailand soon to contact me on galoubet@gmail.com I'd appreciate that.

At least, despite his predicament, Colin is far away from the panic that seems to have pervaded the UK with this corona virus. Supermarkets are out of soap and even digestive biscuits! Yesterday I wanted an appointment with a doctor because of bad chest pains. On the phone it was like the Spanish inquisition. They tried to turn me away but I persisted for 20 full minutes. The doctor sent me to the hospital for a chest x-ray which revealed a serious deep seated infection and I'm now on two lots of antibiotics.

At the moment I think Colin is better off where he is. And thanks Ally for the video updates. Good to see Colin smiling. Shame about the onions though!

Roger

Please when you see Colin, give him my best wishes. I haven't tried emailing him as I guess that's a bit beyond him at present. If you could leave a note for his brother when he comes to Thailand soon to contact me on galoubet@gmail.com I'd appreciate that.

At least, despite his predicament, Colin is far away from the panic that seems to have pervaded the UK with this corona virus. Supermarkets are out of soap and even digestive biscuits! Yesterday I wanted an appointment with a doctor because of bad chest pains. On the phone it was like the Spanish inquisition. They tried to turn me away but I persisted for 20 full minutes. The doctor sent me to the hospital for a chest x-ray which revealed a serious deep seated infection and I'm now on two lots of antibiotics.

At the moment I think Colin is better off where he is. And thanks Ally for the video updates. Good to see Colin smiling. Shame about the onions though!

Roger
Will do Roger

i did pass on your previous posts to him, he smiled ;)

i have constantly told him he is in the best place right now, bringing him up to date on the covid madness, he was interested in details.

Hope you manage to stay clear of the virus and get yourself healthy again ?

Cheers ✌️

Good news from Andrea the other day - she's reported that Colin has regained some leg movement on the right side

Not just leg movement, but a bit of movement in his hand as well. Speech is much improved and his appetite has certainly returned.

Called by to visit Colin before I fly out to Vietnam for 3 weeks (I hope) Colin is progressing well with some movement in his right hand and foot.

He is certainly perky enough, talking freely although his speech is a little unclear but that should improve over time.

What he really needs in interaction with others to help along the road to recovery, please if you have time stop by to have a chat he would certainly appreciate your help.

Colin is getting multiple visitors every day, as he has been all along. Ploy, his therapist, however, has worked wonders with him at McKean. Derek and I have both been in this morning, and I'll probably get back there again today - IF - we can find Colin's brother, who was due in at midnight last night. I'm hoping he hasn't been detained in Bangkok with all the stuffed up flights. His phone is on voicemail... and he's not answered several messages. He was to have been staying with us, but the insurance company wanted him closer to Colin and stumped up for a nearby hotel... although we don't have details.

It's late. Been a long day... so I'll point folks to the Ulysses FB page for the full update. Martin's here... and we had a good couple of hours with him and Colin.

It's been a few torrid days, with a bit of excitement. Martin, Derek and Colin have had a couple visits back to the main hospital for progress checks and removal of some irritants - not without drama. Angela reported Colin a bit confused, ahead of the Ulysses Club meeting tonight, but that's understandable, give what he's been through. We're working to extend his medical visa - and that should be OK. He's currently covered until early April.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Transalp General Discussion 27
Back
Top Bottom