Samsung Gear 2 Neo watch

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
"The best smartwatch on the market so far"

I think this device will be super handy while riding, especially off-road where your phone is packed away (There is phone signal off-road in most places in Laos, won't be long before Thailand is the same).

Was walking around a shopping mall & got the Samsung store chappy to show me what the Samsung Gear 2 Neo watch could do.

samsung-galaxy-gear2-27_0.jpg

There's a decent review in the link below & they like it:

Samsung Gear 2 Neo review | Gadgets Reviews | TechRadar

It works with various Samsung, Android phones (Samsung note II, you need version 4.3 software for it to work) & apart from being a basic digital watch and fitness device, it's a blue tooth receiver from your phone showing all the message notifications (email, Facebook, tapatalk, cnn etc....) your phone has received in real time. It's also a telephone device that can make calls when bluetooth connected to your phone. You feel a bit like Dick Tracy or Capt. Kurk doing a "Beam me up Scotty", but it works very well.

FlickrDroid Upload by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Various choices of main menu screens, I like the one showing the time and the most used applications on one screen

Call logs are pulled up from one Icon, press one of the previous calls and a phone call will be made. How useful will this be when someone has made a wrong turn or there's a flat tire behind etc....? No more unpacking your phone, you have communications available immediately all the time you have cellular signal or wifi.

Heart rate monitor works well, will be useful for riding with Darren & the screamer.

Battery life is said to be around 3 days if used moderately.

Currently 5,900 Bht in Thailand, waterproof, dustproof, i think this will be really useful especially off-road riding where its often a pain in the ass to get your phone out of your backpack. Initially when i saw them i thought they'd be just a toy, now i'm sold on it's possible usefulness.

It will send SMS's too.

I nearly always keep my phone out of packs and stuff.. I have a older spare that can get killed for trails.. Next time a rugged shock and waterproof one will be possible.

Not sure I see a lot of advantage to another device, to charge, to break, to check. Plus theres a point where I dont want people reaching me.

One thing thats really super useful with phone apps now though is the location sharing.. Even if the other person is riding when you call you can just blast out a message, I am here, I am heading this way at this time.. Makes keeping tabs on a group after being separated or racing away from each other so simple.

Off-road, my phone goes in the backpack last, on top, in a zip lock bag, then wrapped in something soft. No compression loads & if you fall off you dont crush the phone. If you're on an awkward hill where the sidestand isn't usable, it's a REAL pain to get to the phone, especially when it's ringing and could be real important, with the Gear 2 Neo watch, there's no messing around, so im not sure I agree?

The waterproof communication device is on your wrist.

I nearly always keep my phone out of packs and stuff.. I have a older spare that can get killed for trails.. Next time a rugged shock and waterproof one will be possible.

Not sure I see a lot of advantage to another device, to charge, to break, to check. Plus theres a point where I dont want people reaching me.

One thing thats really super useful with phone apps now though is the location sharing.. Even if the other person is riding when you call you can just blast out a message, I am here, I am heading this way at this time.. Makes keeping tabs on a group after being separated or racing away from each other so simple.

Back
Top Bottom