ROAD DEVELOPMENT AND ROAD CONSTRUCTION IN LAOS

We took the drone with us into Laos and shot this movie of the 4B as well as several others while "on the road" earlier this year.

Some of the drone movies shot during this trip can be found in this thread: Some drone shots in Laos

Nice.

What's the maximum altitude your drone can fly at?

Would love to get one myself.

BTW have you encountered any issues with using your drone, particularly given the laws that many regional governments have recently enacted? Any issues with deploying it in a border area (as The Bigfella managed to do in the golden triangle).

Nice.

What's the maximum altitude your drone can fly at?

Would love to get one myself.

BTW have you encountered any issues with using your drone, particularly given the laws that many regional governments have recently enacted? Any issues with deploying it in a border area (as The Bigfella managed to do in the golden triangle).

I think the maximum altitude above the controller unit is about 500 meter. We did not encounter local problems but then again we did not ask and no one told us not to fly it. A few times we had locals who stopped by to see what we were doing and they were very interested in the technology but nothing else.

I have seen/read some where that people who tried to enter Laos (at Houay Khon - Mueang Ngeun crossing north of Nan) that they were not allowed to bring the drone into Laos but that was with a bike - we entered at the same place and had no problems (used the truck to enter Laos).

I think the maximum altitude above the controller unit is about 500 meter. We did not encounter local problems but then again we did not ask and no one told us not to fly it. A few times we had locals who stopped by to see what we were doing and they were very interested in the technology but nothing else.

I have seen/read some where that people who tried to enter Laos (at Houay Khon - Mueang Ngeun crossing north of Nan) that they were not allowed to bring the drone into Laos but that was with a bike - we entered at the same place and had no problems (used the truck to enter Laos).

Did you buy it in Thailand?

I have entered at Huay Kon too but by car (my pickup truck). Indeed they are a bit more thorough there than at other crossings but never to the point of opening bags or glove boxes etc. Lao officials simply don't do that - in fact, the Thais rarely even bother. It's a different story crossing to Vietnam and especially China (reportedly) where they are quite rigorous.

I agree that it would be best to be discrete about taking a drone across the border, especially given what I've read about how Lao officials are quite suspicious of them. The bridge checkpoints are quite good - due to their traffic volume, it's unlikely they would have time to search your belongings. Whatever vehicle you are traveling in, always park at least 20-30m away from the checkpoint do your paperwork then drive off. Another good checkpoint is Phu Doo, despite being very quiet meaning they could search your belongings all day if they wanted to, they don't. They are very casual and easygoing. Tha Li is good too. Thai officials there usually perform a check but it's very cursory.

In my experience, border officials on the Lao side are only ever interested in the goods I am transporting at the back of my truck - which have sometimes been quite obvious. For example, I've transported agricultural materials and fertilizer. If you tell them the goods are only in transit and destined for Vietnam or China, they make you fill out a form, which is sometimes free, sometimes costs 50,000 Kip. In theory you are supposed to present this at the exit point but since there's no computerized system, nobody will know anything once you leave the country.

Did you buy it in Thailand?

I have entered at Huay Kon too but by car (my pickup truck). Indeed they are a bit more thorough there than at other crossings but never to the point of opening bags or glove boxes etc. Lao officials simply don't do that - in fact, the Thais rarely even bother. It's a different story crossing to Vietnam and especially China (reportedly) where they are quite rigorous.

I agree that it would be best to be discrete about taking a drone across the border, especially given what I've read about how Lao officials are quite suspicious of them. The bridge checkpoints are quite good - due to their traffic volume, it's unlikely they would have time to search your belongings. Whatever vehicle you are traveling in, always park at least 20-30m away from the checkpoint do your paperwork then drive off. Another good checkpoint is Phu Doo, despite being very quiet meaning they could search your belongings all day if they wanted to, they don't. They are very casual and easygoing. Tha Li is good too. Thai officials there usually perform a check but it's very cursory.

In my experience, border officials on the Lao side are only ever interested in the goods I am transporting at the back of my truck - which have sometimes been quite obvious. For example, I've transported agricultural materials and fertilizer. If you tell them the goods are only in transit and destined for Vietnam or China, they make you fill out a form, which is sometimes free, sometimes costs 50,000 Kip. In theory you are supposed to present this at the exit point but since there's no computerized system, nobody will know anything once you leave the country.

My friend bought the drone in Dubai and we travelled in my truck and the drone box was just among our other luggage inside the truck (Extra Cab). I guess the Lao government officials at the Houay Khon to Mueang Ngeun crossing did not notice the box (in a backpack) even though they did look inside the truck.

Road No. 4B to have asphalt surface

National Road No. 4B, which links the two provinces of Xayaboury and Luang Prabang and is currently unpaved, will be surfaced with a double layer of asphalt thanks to a loan from Thailand. The government has borrowed more than 766 million baht (over 177 billion kip) from Thailand's Neighbouring Countries Economic Development Cooperation Agency (NEDA) to upgrade the 113 kilometre road. An official from the Xayaboury provincial Public Works and Transport Department, who ask not to be named, told Vientiane Times on Monday an agreement to upgrade the road was signed in Xayaboury province on August 13.

The dirt road runs from Xayaboury's Hongsa district to Luang Prabang's Chomphet district but is not widely used because of the problems it causes motorists. As well as having a rough surface, the road passes through mountainous terrain. “In the future many people will choose to travel this way between Hongsa and Chomphet districts because it will take less time,” the official said.

Source: Vientiane Times: Road 4B from Hongsa to Chomphet/Luang Prabang to be paved

Additional info on a new bridge from Chomphet to Luang Prabang can be found here: Mekong Bridge from Luang Prabang District to Chomphet District

The 114-kilometre Hongsa-Chiang Man (Chomphet) Road 4B, which will be a shortcut to Laos' northern Luang Prabang province, will link Thailand, Laos and Vietnam with southern China and boost trade among these countries. Neda is extending a 1.58 billion baht loan with a low interest rate of 1.5% over a 30-year term and offered another 390 million baht to finance the road's construction. The road, which began construction five months ago and is due to be completed in 2018, will connect three major tourist spots -- Nan, Luang Prabang and Vietnam's Dien Bien Phu.

Hongsa Rd 4B.jpg

Some incredible quotes like that NEDA estimates that some 1500 cars are using this road every day and that the number of tourists visiting Luang Prabang could double to 1 million per year once the road is ready can be found in the article published in the Bangkok Post of today - Source: Laos-banks-on-road-link-with-china. View our policies at http://goo.gl/9HgTd and http://goo.gl/ou6Ip. © Post Publishing PCL. All rights reserved.

""Some incredible quotes like that NEDA estimates that some 1500 cars are using this road every day""

Saw that in Bangkok post, surely that must be the projected traffic after the highway is done. last time I was on the 4b I saw two scooters and a Vigo.

My friend bought the drone in Dubai and we travelled in my truck and the drone box was just among our other luggage inside the truck (Extra Cab). I guess the Lao government officials at the Houay Khon to Mueang Ngeun crossing did not notice the box (in a backpack) even though they did look inside the truck.

A cursory inspection of the inside of your cab (or car) is common, but I have never experienced Lao officials rummaging through passenger's luggage. Hence why they didn't spot the drone though you did mention them not allowing someone else to bring a drone in, though he came in on a motorcycle.

I note that Ban Huak is shown on the map. Any rumors of when this border crossing will open up to farangs?

Mac

Nothing known yet - guess that it will have to wait till all the roads from the border crossing to Mueang Khop and Mueang Xienghone to Rd 2W are ready (scheduled for 2016). But, if the same will happen here as with the Phu Du to Paklay crossing, it may take quite some more time before the crossing will be open for foreigners

NewRoadstoPhayaofromBangkokPost.jpg

The project comprises five connected roads. First is the 63km-long road starting at Ban Huak of Phu Sang district in Phayao and crossing the border to Muang Khop and Muang Xiang Hone in Laos. The second is 25km-long from Muang Khop to Ban Kontun in Laos. The 13km third route is inside Muang Xiang Hone. An 8km-long road will be inside Muang Khop, and the last is a 2km route linking Ban Pakkhop with the Mekong River. The project is expected to be completed in 2016.

In addition, a new immigration facility will also be built in both countries. In Thailand, the immigration office will be located in Ban Huak. In Laos, it will be located at Ban Pak Mon of Muang Kop district in Xayaburi province.

Good map showing the Xieng Hon (Hone, or Lom) area.

Two more border crossings aren't shown:

-- The one directly south, then SE to the Thai border was open for limited local use back as far as 1967 when I lived for a few months in Xieng Lom, LS-69A. Walking only. Chalerm, the local merchant, a Thai guy, used to pay a few baht a kilo for bringing goods in from Nan. I guess if there was a good load he might have hired an elephant as there were many in the valley. Decent road now, I was told.

-- The other one is a bit to the SW, perhaps where the line on the map makes the dip. When I visited Xieng Lom in 2009 I was told there was another partially open border point, again locals only, that they could drive to.

Options to look forward to in the future, perhaps.

Mac

Yes, you are right - there are two more local border crossings with both having a link with Xieng Hone. One is north of Song Khwae on Rd. 1279 (local border crossing with a local border market once a week) and the other one branching of from Rd. 101 (formerly Rd. 1081) a bit north of Thung Chang (not sure if that border crossing is open for locals).

Laos Thailand border crossings2.jpg

Yes, you are right - there are two more local border crossings with both having a link with Xieng Hone. One is north of Song Khwae on Rd. 1279 (local border crossing with a local border market once a week) and the other one branching of from Rd. 101 (formerly Rd. 1081) a bit north of Thung Chang (not sure if that border crossing is open for locals).

View attachment 47081

DSCF2783.jpg

Here is a picture of the border crossing (locals only) north of Song Khwae

DSCF0466.jpg

and this picture was taken a few kilometers before you reach the local border crossing north-east of Thung Chang

(pictures Copyright Captain Slash)

Good map showing the Xieng Hon (Hone, or Lom) area.

Two more border crossings aren't shown:

-- The one directly south, then SE to the Thai border was open for limited local use back as far as 1967 when I lived for a few months in Xieng Lom, LS-69A. Walking only. Chalerm, the local merchant, a Thai guy, used to pay a few baht a kilo for bringing goods in from Nan. I guess if there was a good load he might have hired an elephant as there were many in the valley. Decent road now, I was told.

-- The other one is a bit to the SW, perhaps where the line on the map makes the dip. When I visited Xieng Lom in 2009 I was told there was another partially open border point, again locals only, that they could drive to.

Options to look forward to in the future, perhaps.

Mac

Don't think even locals are allowed to drive across locals crossings. They don't have the facilities (customs) to process vehicles and in any case are intended to be used only as local trading posts, with limited travel allowed away from the border by nationals of the other country.

I went to Ban Huak in 2009 and was permitted, along with my then Thai gf (a local from Ban Phu Sang 20km away) to walk across to the Thai-Lao boundary post, about 500m from the border checkpoint office. While there would have been nothing stopping us from proceeding further, we were told not to walk onto Lao territory as their jurisdiction ended at the border and if we were caught, they wouldn't be able to help us. So, just for fun, we decided to walk 1m into Lao territory to say we were in Laos, took a few pictures and that was it. The point where the road changes from bitumen/asphalt to dirt marks the actual border. While we did see one or two tribal women walking from the Thai to the Lao side, that was probably the extent of the crossings allowed as those women were probably residents of the border area anyway.

Otherwise, a twice weekly border market would allow traders to cross the frontier to sell their goods at the border crossing (which wasn't on the day we went), but beyond that definitely no people or vehicles allowed across.

Not sure if the border is open as a proper locals crossing now but even if it is, driving across the border is not allowed and won't be until the crossing is upgraded. Trucks carrying construction materials for upgrading of the crossing and border roads may be exempted.

Just got a message and a picture of road 1F which runs from Mahaxay on Rd. 12 to the south which at the moment seems to be quite bad at a spot opposite the construction site of the new Khammouane cement factory (coordinates N17.40189 E105.20188) near Ban Phova-Tai about 9 km. from Rd 12.

Mahaxay to Bualapha.jpg

From this spot to the junction at Ban Panam as well as the road from Ban Panam to Bualapha (Rd. 5507) is OK.

Received also a warning that the unpaved part of Rd 16 from Sekong to Dakcheung is bad and 4WD might be required at the steeper parts.

Tanmixay-Sikeuth road upgrade commences

The 9.4 kilometre road from Tanmixay crossroads in Xaythany district to the Sikeuth junction with Highway 13 North in Naxaithong district has commenced after the 2.5km road section running from Dongdok to the Tanmixay traffic lights was completed recently. The construction is expected to be finished within two years from 2016-2018 with the total cost of the project set at US$45.1 million, he said.

The road is 28 metres wide and has six lanes, a median strip, sidewalks and a drainage system. Traffic lights have also been installed. The road connects North Road No 13, 450 Road and Kaysone Phomvihane Road via the National University of Laos. The government will repay the constructor (Tangchaleun Group Co. Ltd) over a period of seven years with interest set at 3.5 percent per annum, starting from next year.

Source: By Times Reporters - (Latest Update September 5, 2016)

http://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2016/08/road-link-in-laos-will-benefit-nan/

[h=1]Road link in Laos will benefit Nan[/h]August 25, 2016 by Wanwisa Ngamsangchaikit
Filed under News, Thailand

NAN, 25 August 2016: Tourism opportunities in Nan, a northern province in Thailand, will be more focused once a 114-km highway in Laos from Hongsa to Chiang Man is completed in 2018.
Construction of highway 4B from Hongsa to Ban Chiang Man (Chom Phet, Luang Prabang sub-district) in Lao PDR, is a project undertaken by the Neighbouring Countries Economic Development Cooperation Agency (NEDA).
NEDA provided technical assistance to carry out the feasibility study and preliminary design and engineering data.
Once opened, the road will facilitate the shortest route from Nan province in Thailand to Luang Prabang in Laos, which will position Nan into a practical gateway for overland travel to Laos' famous world heritage town.
Nan is one of Thailand 12 hidden gem destinations promoted by the Tourism Authority of Thailand and extending travel opportunities across the border to Luang Prabang in Laos is a priority.
Road conditions to the border in Nan province are acceptable, but for the route to be feasible a 114-highway segment in Laos needed to be upgraded. It will become the shortest route from Thailand to Luang Prabang a distance of 370 km.
"This is an exciting development for tourism, not only for Nan province, but also for the Greater Mekong Sub-region and our neighour Lao PDR," Tourism Authority of Thailand governor, Yuthasak Supasorn, commented on the planned route recently.
TAT is promoting Nan in its 12 Hidden Gems campaign to domestic tourists focusing on the province's culture, heritage and its festivals.
On 12 November 2014, the Thai Cabinet approved a financial assistance package of THB1,977 million to build the road.
The financial assistance consist of a 80% low-interest loan of THB1,581.60 million and 20% grant of THB395.40 million, according to NEDA.
On 26 November 2014, Thai Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha and Lao PDR Prime Minister Thongsing Thammavong witnessed the signing of the financial agreement between NEDA and Lao PDR.
This project is a key transportation link between Thailand and Lao PDR through the Huay Kon border crossing in Chaloem Phra Kiat district, Nan province, and opens up access to Luang Prabang a world heritage town and the country's top tourist destination.
In addition, the project will promote the twin city strategy between Nan and Luang Prabang to foster cultural exchange and promote tour packages that focus on linked heritage between the two provinces.
As a long-term economic and tourism strategy, Thailand is financing and promoting transport links with its neighbours, particularly Laos. The road link will encourage investment in industry, agriculture, tourism and cross-border trade.
The new road will allow visitors wishing to cover three countries, Thailand, Laos and Vietnam, to transfer from Nan in North Thailand on surfaced highways to Luang Prabang and then through Lao PDR to Hanoi in Vietnam.
Construction of the road will be completed by 2018.
Nan nestles in a valley, 670 km north of the Thai capital, under the shadow of forested mountains and flanked by 2,000 metre-high ridges that mark the boder with Laos in the west.
Hongsa is a town in northwest Laos in Sainyabuli province, 81 km northwest of the provincial capital Sainyabuli. The Lao province is most famous for its annual elephant festival.

A few more updates on road construction activities in Laos

Rd 4501 from Hinheup to Mueang Feuang and south to Ban Vang on the Mekong (opposite Ban Khok Pai in Thailand).

Hinheup-Xanakham road works on track
A 132-km road being built to link Hinheup district with Feuang and Xanakham districts in Vientiane province will be surfaced with asphalt after the rainy season.
Source: Vientiane Times 25 June 2015

Source: Vientiane Times 30 June 2015

The Vientiane Times reports today that this road will be paved with asphalting of the road to start in January 2017

The 114-kilometre Hongsa-Chiang Man (Chomphet) Road 4B, which will be a shortcut to Laos' northern Luang Prabang province, will link Thailand, Laos and Vietnam with southern China and boost trade among these countries. Neda is extending a 1.58 billion baht loan with a low interest rate of 1.5% over a 30-year term and offered another 390 million baht to finance the road's construction. The road, which began construction five months ago and is due to be completed in 2018, will connect three major tourist spots -- Nan, Luang Prabang and Vietnam's Dien Bien Phu.

Some incredible quotes like that NEDA estimates that some 1500 cars are using this road every day and that the number of tourists visiting Luang Prabang could double to 1 million per year once the road is ready can be found in the article published in the Bangkok Post of today - Source: Laos-banks-on-road-link-with-china. View our policies at http://goo.gl/9HgTd and http://goo.gl/ou6Ip. © Post Publishing PCL. All rights reserved.

Upgrade of Xayaboury-Luang Prabang road ) makes slow progress

Upgrade of the 114-km National Road No. 4B from Hongsa district in Xayaboury province to Chomphet district in Luang Prabang province is proceeding slowly but is expected to be completed on schedule. A Luang Prabang official, who did not wish to be named, told Vientiane Times on Friday it would take 32 months to resurface the road with a double layer of asphalt but the work would be completed before the deadline. The work is a little bit slow because this road is in a mountainous area, but we should have the whole 114 km. finished by 2018, he said. The upgrade is so far 11 percent complete. The road is open but motorists but will find travel difficult. However, when the road is finished in 2018 it will be the quickest route between Hongsa and Chomphet districts.

The road will end at the Mekong riverbank in Chomphet district where a bridge will span the river (see also The-Mekong-Bridges)

The main town in Chomphet district has been relocated as the Xiengman area, where the town was situated in a valley, could not be further developed. The new urban area is now about 6km away. The township moved from the Xiengman area alongside the Mekong River, opposite downtown Luang Prabang.

Source: Vientiane Times (Latest Update October 3, 2016)

Well, right-of-way posts are at least something, next to come might be turning some dirt. Do wonder, tho, if there's a rail connection at Lao Bao on to the coast.

Mac

Vientiane Times

[h=2]Developer Set to Install Savan-Laobao Railway Corridor Posts[/h]October 3, 2016 All News 0 Comments
free_P1.gif
Giant Rail Company Limited (GRCL) on Friday signed a contract with a Lao company to install railway route corridor posts for a planned line linking Laos' central province of Savannakhet to the Vietnamese border.
The move is one step closer to the start of construction of the 220km railway to be built by the Malaysian investor Giant Consolidated Limited (GCL), which is expected to cost between US$5.5-6 billion.
The Corridor Post Installation contract was signed by the GRCL, represented by Dato' Sri Dr Yuhao Aixinjueluo, Chairman of the Asia Economic & Trade Cooperation Council (AETCC), the Project Supervision Management on Contractors' Affairs, and the DML Survey Design Bridge-Road Irrigation and Road Architects represented by Mr. Khampheng Vilaysak.
The signing ceremony took place at Giant Rail Company Limited's premises in Vientiane witnessed by the project concessionaire, GCL President Mr. Mohammad Fadzwi Bin Hamidun who is also the President/CEO of GRCL, and Deputy Director General of the Railway Department of Laos, Mr. Sonesack N. Nhansana.
Malaysian Ambassador to Laos Dato' Than Tai Hing was also present at the event along with the Vice President of GRCL Dato' Bounmy Thepphavong, Project Manager/Director of the Railway Department Mr. Bounchanh Saybounheuang, and President of the Malaysia Business Chamber Laos Dr Muhammad Firuz Hamidun.
The installation of corridor posts along the proposed railway, which includes 11 mixed development zones on 4,100 hectares of land along the route in Savannakhet, is expected to be completed within three months from the beginning of October 2016.
Speaking during the signing ceremony, Ambassador Dato' Than Tai Hing, who is set to complete his mission in Laos in coming months, said this project is in full support of the government of Malaysia and he said he hoped to see physical construction of the project would begin soon.
Before the end of the year, before I finish my term here, I would like to see the launching on the ground, not just on the paper, the ambassador said.
H e said the project would be a significant boost to the Lao government's efforts to turn Laos from a landlocked country into a land link within the region.
We will target construction as per the Ambassador's speech as he is instrumental to our project implementation and approval from the relevant Lao government authority, Dato Sri Dr Yuhao Aixinjueluo told the Vientiane Times .
He said the developer had been carrying out the project systematically and the signing of the contract would see further removal of additional UXO in the area and installation of the railway Right-of-Way Corridor post markers to define the final route which was approved by Savannakhet in March 20 16.
Everything worked according to our project schedule and according to the Lao Railway Authority, Savannakhet province and the Minister of Transport [Minister of Public Works and Transport], he said.
On September 6, 2016, Giant Rail Company Limited officials briefed Prime Minister of Malaysia, Dato' Sri Mohd Najib Bin Hj Tun Abdul Razak, on the project at a meeting with the Malaysian business community before the start of the 28th and 29th ASEAN Summits in Vientiane last month.
The Prime Minister was very keen to know the progress of the Savannakhet to Lao Bao railway and other projects undertaken by Malaysian companies and businessmen in Laos, the company said.
In his speech, the Malaysian Prime Minister advised Malaysians to enhance stronger presence in the Lao PDR in terms of business development, investments and people to people relationships, the company said in a press release.
Giant Consolidated Limited sig ned an agreement with the Lao government in 2012 to carry out the railway project. The two sides formed the Giant Rail Company Limited, in which the Lao government has a 10 percent share, to implement the project.

Road construction commences in Xaysomboun Province

Authorities of Xaysomboun province have reached agreement with three construction companies on Monday in relation to three new asphalt roads from Anouvong town, the new provincial capital. According to a press release Work on the construction of the three separate roads is scheduled to be completed by the end of 2015.

A 50km long road (Road 5) from Anouvong district to Rd 1D in Thathom district in Xaysomboun province will be carried out by Thavisok Costruction Development Company Limited, worth over 356.8 billion kip.

The second road is 30km long and worth more than 263 billion kip. It runs from Phouhuaxang village to Aow Tai village in Anouvong district and will be built by Lackxay Road and Bridge Construction Company Limited.

The third road, worth around 304 billion kip, is 40km long and runs from Nam Gnone Bridge in Anouvong to Longcheng village in Longcheng district, with works to be undertaken by Chanyathilath Bridge, House, Road and Irrigation Construction Company Limted.

Adapted from: Vientiane Times

Road building bogged down in Xaysomboun

Upgrades to three main roads connecting to previously remote Xaysomboun province are mired in difficulties, mainly attributable to problems in sourcing state funds to complete them. The main roads through large parts of the province are still unpaved which means they turn to mud whenever there has been a heavy shower. Minister of Public Works and Transport Dr Bounchan Sinthavong explained the difficulties when answering questions put by National Assembly (NA) members concerning road upgrades during the ongoing debate session.

Work to upgrade a 120 km. section of road is currently facing financial difficulties. The road is the main link from the Thabok area on road 13S in Thaphabath district of Borikhamxay province to Xaysomboun province. From Xaysomboun, this road also links with National Road No. 1D in Borikhamxay's Viengthong district, over a length of 56 km. This 120 km. long road needs to be sealed to provide a route from Xaysomboun province to Vientiane through Thabok and then link to Xieng Khuang province via National Road No. 1D, Dr Bounchan said.

Two other main routes will be surfaced with gravel but some sections of these roads passing through villages or over mountains will be sealed with asphalt.

Dr. Bounchan said they planned to rebuild a 60 km. road between the Naphaeng area on road 10 in Vientiane province and Xaysomboun province, and work was currently underway.

There are also other road links planned from Vientiane province to Xieng Khuang province via Xaysomboun province, for which a loan is being sought from the Chinese government.

Source: Vientiane Times - (Latest Update November 2, 2016)

Xaysomboun Roads.JPG

LR

Seemingly not mentioned here is the road from Anouvong due north connecting with existing roads to Phonsavan.

Last time I was in Anouvong, November 2015, the manager of the Phu Bia Hotel told me about this road, said it'll be the new fast way from Vientiane to Phonsavan. Good luck!

I forget which side of Phu Bia the road is to go, east or west.

Mac

LR

Seemingly not mentioned here is the road from Anouvong due north connecting with existing roads to Phonsavan.

Last time I was in Anouvong, November 2015, the manager of the Phu Bia Hotel told me about this road, said it'll be the new fast way from Vientiane to Phonsavan. Good luck!

I forget which side of Phu Bia the road is to go, east or west.

Mac

Not sure if this new road you refer would start in Anouvong (Xaysomboun) but there is a new road which by-passes Long Chaeng. This new road (condition unknown) starts in Ban Nampha (Pha Nga) - where you cross the bailey bridge before you go steep up north-west to Long Chaeng - and links with the Sam Thong to Phaxai road just a bit east of Tha Tham Bleung (LS 72)

Two Road Improvement Projects Halted in Huaphan

Houaphan roads.JPG

1. Construction of the 30-kilometer road with a double layer of asphalt from Nongkhang area in Xamneua to Aed district (dark blue route on the map).

AB Company was initially selected to construct this road with the contract slated for 36 months at the cost of about 224 billion kip with the provincial government to repay the company upon completion of the project. However AB Company discontinued the work after construction was 70 percent complete.

The new firm that will carry out the construction of this road is Chinese, with the work now scheduled to be completed in 2018.

2. Construction/Re-building the 31 km long road with a double layer of asphalt linking Xamtay to Kuan districts at a cost of 367 billion kip (red route on the map)

The Daoheuangsong Company was initially selected to construct this road. However, the governor of Xamtay district, Mr Hinthong Luangchansouk told Vientiane Times that the company suspended work on the route when the improvement of the road was 24 percent complete.

No new company has been contracted to finish the construction of the road. The province will refer responsibility of building the road with a double layer of asphalt from Xamtay to Kuan districts to the Ministry of Public Works and Transport.

Source: Vientiane Times, November 17, 2016

Thoulakhom-Pakngum Road nears Completion - Road 0118 on the GPS map

The rebuilding of a 47-km road from Nanokkhoum village on Rd. 10 in Thoulakhom district, Vientiane province, to Naxay village on Rd. 13S in Pakngum district, Vientiane, is now more than 70 percent complete. The upgrade will provide a faster road for traffic travelling between the north and south of the country and will divert traffic away from the centre of Vientiane, helping to ease congestion in the city centre .

President of the contracting company Phinthong Co., Ltd., Mr Somphan Panyathilath, told Vientiane Times yesterday we've finished the main works such as widening the road, laying drainage pipes, filling in low areas, and grading the surface. Now we're concentrating on asphalting and have laid asphalt on three kilometres. We've also begun work on the first bridge, he added.

The project began in April 2013 and should be finished in April 2017. Over its length, the road will have eight bridges and causeways across water courses. It is expected to cost about 373 billion kip and is funded by the government. The road will have two layers of asphalt over a distance of 46 kilometres, which will be nine metres wide.

Source: Vientiane Times

Attachments

• Rd 0120.JPG
    Rd 0120.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 814
Last edited:
Highway 3 - Houayxai to Luang Nam Tha

There are several places where, if you are on a bike, should be careful. Between kilometer markers 172 and 168 the road (about 40-50 km. from Houayxai) is badly rutted as you can see in these pictures:

20161122_080342.jpg

20161122_081002.jpg

The road between Nam Ngeun (the Viengpoukha coal mine area) and the city of Viengphoukha is bad but they are working (slowly) on repairs of the road while at many places the road is breaking up resulting in deep potholes with sharp edges.

New Laos-Vietnam border checkpoint for Luang Prabang

Work will begin on a new Laos-Vietnam border checkpoint in Luang Prabang province in 2015, moving the checkpoint from the province's mountainous areas to Naluang village in Phonthong district. Luang Prabang provincial Public Works and Transport Department Director, Mr Fasanan Thammavong, told Vientiane Times on Monday the border checkpoint could not be further developed at its present location, about 8km from Nasone village, as the area was too mountainous.

View attachment 20279

Naluang has been selected as the new international border checkpoint as part of a provincial strategy to develop the poverty-stricken village. The village is located in a flatland area, making it suitable for building the water systems, car parks, petrol stations, markets, hotels and transport facilities required at a border crossing. Luang Prabang province shares a border with Vietnam's Dien Bien Phu province. Last Friday, the Lao Ministry of Public Works and Transport signed a memorandum of understanding with its Vietnamese counterpart to build a new road between Luang Prabang's Phouthipheuang and Nasone areas and the Laos-Vietnam border.

The 104.7km road will bypass the centre of Phonthong district to avoid traffic congestion. Transport Engineering Design Inc. of Vietnam (TEID-Vietnam) will work with Luang Prabang provincial authorities to survey and design the new road. Vietnam's Ministry of Transportation will suggest TEID-Vietnam complete the survey by October 15 and submit a report to the two countries' governments. Mr Fasanan said work on the road, which will be constructed with two layers of asphalt, would begin in late 2014 or early 2015, as would work on the new border crossing. Luang Prabang provincial Public Works and Transport official, Mr Khamsy Souvanthong, said the new road would begin at the Road No. 1C junction in Ngoy district and extend to the border. He said main roads in the centre of Phonthong district would be paved with asphalt as part of the project.

Vientiane Times

Vietnam urges Laos to move forward with road link

No soil has been turned since the survey and design of the Nasone road upgrade, which would link Luang Prabang province to the Vietnam border at Dien Bien province, after a study into the project ended two years ago. Vietnam's Minister of Transport, Mr. Truong Quang Nghia, met with the Lao Minister of Public Works and Transport, Dr. Bounchanh Sinthavong, in Vientiane last week to talk about the project. Mr. Nghia said the 110-km road upgrade is expected to cost about US$87 million. The road would run from the Meuangngoy junction in Ngoy district to the Vietnam border via Phonthong district.

We suggested to Dr. Bounchanh that we should build the section from the centre of Phonthong district to the border first, over a distance of around 50 kilometres, he said. Dr. Bounchanh said he and Mr Nghia jointly approved the construction of this section of the road. If Mr. Nghia approves it would be possible for us to borrow money from Vietnam with a low interest rate in order to fund the construction, Dr. Bounchanh added. We would like to ask that you consider this matter and if we receive a loan from Vietnam we will be happy, he said.

According to the ministry, Laos and Vietnam signed a Memorandum of Understanding on joint consultation for the development of transport links between the two countries in 2013. At that time the Vietnamese delegation was led by the Deputy Minister of Transportation, Mr. Le Dinh Tho, who discussed the Nasone road with Dr. Bounchanh, who was then Laos' Deputy Minister of Public Works and Transport.

By Times Reporters - (Latest Update November 30, 2016)

Note LR - Not sure why Vietnam is so interested in the construction of this road - Logging, Minerals?

New Xe Kong Bridge in Sekong

Recently we passed through Sekong and we had a quick look at the construction of the new bridge over the Xe Kong river. In addition to the new bridge which links Sekong (replacing the ferry) with Rd. 16B coming from the Vietnam border via Dakcheung, also a new bypass road is being constructed around Sekong and this new road links with Rd. 16 north-east of Sekong.

View attachment 46720

View attachment 46722

View attachment 46721

Pictures: Copyright Ian B. Gatenby

Sekong bridge completion delayed to 2018

Construction of the Sekong Bridge on National Road No.16B in Sekong province has experienced delays and completion is now slated for 2018 instead of next year as previously projected. The construction of the bride began in 2014 at a projected cost of US$15 million and was originally expected to finish in March this year but they experienced some delays causing extensions beyond the project plan. According to the construction project deputy head, Mr Khamkeng Keosouvanh, at present work on the project is about 70 percent complete. The bridge will be 300 metres in length and 11 metres in width.

Therefore, the project developer proposed to extend the construction period for another ten months in order to improve some aspects of the work in accordance with accepted international techniques, he added. So far, we have completed works under and above the bridge and the remaining works are bridge surface pavement and the bridge entrance approaches on each side, in order to ensure a quality finished product, Mr Khamkeng said.

By Times Reporters (Latest Update December 7, 2016)

China funds Mekong road construction

The Chinese government will fund construction of a 22.5 km road along the Mekong River linking Tonpheung district in Bokeo province with Sing district in Luang Namtha province to facilitate transport and boost northern development. A signing ceremony for construction of the 225 million yuan (more than 268 billion kip or US$32.7 million) road took place recently in Vientiane between representatives from the Chinese Embassy to Laos and the Lao Ministry of National Defence, the Lao Army Newspaper reported yesterday.

Construction of the seven-metre-width road will commence in January next year and will take 36 months to complete. The project will asphalt and widen the existing unpaved five-metre road. The road, which will connect Mom village in Tonpheung district with Pakhouaylong village in Sing district, is part of the planned road construction project to link Tonpheung district with the Chinese border over a total distance of 238 km.

Deputy Director General of the Engineering Department of the Lao ministry Colonel Dr Siphonxay Khamthongveunl said the Lao side would continue to seek financial sources to upgrade the remaining section of the 238 km road, which will stretch through the golden triangle area.

During my recent trip to Laos on my way from Lak Xao to Thakheak I took road 1E and it looks like that the report in the Vientiane Times is a tad optimistic about the completion date of the northern part of this road.

The first 23 km. or so from Lak Xao to the south the road has been worked on and parts with some re-grading might be ready for pavement but from the junction to the southwest to the Nakai Nam Theun 2 Dam the next 7 km is still as it was before and nothing has been done yet.

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

However from there (about 30 km. from Lak Xao to the junction with Rd 12 at Gnommalath) the remaining 60 km. of the road has been paved and is more or less ready and I found it a joy to ride.

IMG_0271.jpg

Travelled road 1E from Lak Xao to Gnommalath a few days ago and the road is now all paved and a joy to ride.

20161215_112351.jpg

The new road with a small part of the old road on the left

Road 16 still blocked due to a collased bridge

On 8 November the Sahalao Service Company, owners of a low loader trailer that was carrying an excavator, caused the bridge to collapse because the 20 ton maximum load bridge was not strong enough to carry a load of nearly 40 ton. After the bridge collapsed, the trailer remained upright but an excavator that it had been carrying fell into the water. The company has accepted responsibility for the accident and is building a temporary dirt road next to the bridge so that bikes, small cars and pick-up trucks can cross the stream. Coffee growers in particular use this crossing as it is now harvest time and their pick-ups are delivering the beans to processing factories. If it is found that the bridge cannot be repaired, the company will have to rebuild it, Mr Vicith said.

Screen-Shot-2016-11-08-at-10.18.10-am-250x300.png

The Vientiane Times reports today (26 December) that the old steel Huaychampy Bridge in Champassak province has yet to be repaired or replaced after a semitrailer carrying an excavator caused the bridge to collapse last month. The Governor of Pakxong district Mr VichithKeobuapha told Vientiane Times on Friday that he still doesn't know when the bridge will be repaired. The Champassak provincial Public Works and Transport Department is currently in talks with Sahalao Service Company regarding the bridge's collapse. The bridge is now still impassable to large truck traffic so drivers must take a detour from Pakse via Saravan province to get to Pakxong.

Construction of the Sekong Bridge on National Road No.16B in Sekong province has experienced delays and completion is now slated for 2018 instead of next year as previously projected. The construction of the bride began in 2014 at a projected cost of US$15 million and was originally expected to finish in March this year but they experienced some delays causing extensions beyond the project plan. According to the construction project deputy head, Mr Khamkeng Keosouvanh, at present work on the project is about 70 percent complete. The bridge will be 300 metres in length and 11 metres in width.

Therefore, the project developer proposed to extend the construction period for another ten months in order to improve some aspects of the work in accordance with accepted international techniques, he added. So far, we have completed works under and above the bridge and the remaining works are bridge surface pavement and the bridge entrance approaches on each side, in order to ensure a quality finished product, Mr Khamkeng said.

A picture of the new bridge in Sekong which links Sekong with Dakcheung and Vietnam (Rd. 16 B) - January 2017 (copyright picture Bob Kelly)

Sekong Bridge Rd 16B.jpg

I just did the following route over Jan 2017.

Riding a sport tourer (Ducati GT1000) and looking for relatively good sealed mountain roads

Coming up from Cambodia,
:pakse to Thakhek on 13, all sealed, good condition
:Thakhek Loop via Nakai to Lak Xao, sealed all the way, good condition.
:Lak Xao to Phonsavan via 1D, all sealed, good condition
:phonsavan to Sam Nuea and Vieng Xai caves via 7- 1C- 6. Sealed but loads of potholes, narrow road. Fog/low visibility on that particular ride.
:Sam Nuea to Nong Khiaw on 1C, sealed, narrow, lots of potholes.
:Nong Khiaw to Luang Prabang via 1C and 13, road starts to improve but still a bit rough in some parts
:LPB to Phonsavan via 13 and 7, all sealed, 13 a bit rough in parts, 7 in good condition.

From a sports tourer riding perspective, the best roads for riding were 7 where it turns off from 13 heading to Phonsavan, 1D between Phonsavan and Lak Xao, and the Thakhek loop.
Those roads were in the best condition, great scenery/winding mountain roads, and low traffic. On the busier mountain routes, trucks use water to cool their brakes which leaves a slippery residue on the road surface. This wasn't noticeable on 1D Sth of Phonsavan, and 7 west of Phonsavan.

Scenery was a bit better around Sam Nuea way, due to denser forest, more rivers etc, but the potholes were hard work on a sports tourer.

Thanks Lone Rider for the route suggestions and maps.

2017-01-21 (2).jpg

Road 17 B - Muang Sing to Xiengkok and the Laos-Myanmar Friendship Bridge

The final unpaved section of Road No. 17B linking the Laos-Myanmar Friendship Bridge to Luang Namtha province is currently being surveyed prior to asphalt being laid. A 15-kilometre stretch of road links the bridge to Xiengkok village in Long district, of which about 10 km have already been sealed with asphalt. The Laos-Myanmar bridge also links to the Chinese border about 94 kilometres away through Long district.

The bridge, which crosses the Mekong River, is still waiting for the requisite legislation to be passed by Laos and Myanmar before opening to international traffic. At present it is used as an informal border crossing by local people for the sale of goods and personal visits. Authorities hope to open the Laos-Myanmar bridge to all traffic in the very near future so as to benefit from the changes introduced by the Asean Economic Community.

Source: Adapted from Vientiane Times By Khonesavanh Latsaphao, (Latest Update December 29, 2015)

Road No. 17B to Laos-Myanmar bridge deteriorating

A 70-kilometre section of Road No. 17B linking the Laos-Myanmar Friendship Bridge to Sing district town in LuangNamtha province remains unpaved after almost two years and is deteriorating. An official of the provincial Public Works and Transport Department MrChansamoneOutamavong, told Vientiane Times on Thursday that the road's surface, even though unpaved, was in reasonable condition when the bridge first opened in 2015. However, the 70-kilometre section of the road to the Laos-Myanmar bridge has now become quite bad, he said.

No details were immediately available from LuangNamtha province as to when the 17B Road would be upgraded to asphalt or concrete, but he said high level authorities were planning to improve it in the near future. The condition of the road's surface was quite acceptable for motorists for some months after the bridge opened, but it soon worsened with the onset of heavy rainfall in the wet season.

The bridge, which crosses the Mekong River, is still waiting for the requisite legislation to be passed by Laos and Myanmar before opening to international traffic. Mr. Chansamone added that the Laos was quite ready but waiting on Myanmar. At present it is used as an informal border crossing by local people for trade and personal visits. Lao people travel to Myanmar to sell goods across the border while those in Myanmar typically tour the border area and visit the main town in Long district. The bridge was officially opened in May 2015 by Former President Choummaly Sayasone and former Myanmar President U Thein Sein. The bridge links Xienglab Township in Thachilek district of Myanmar's Shan State with Xiengkok village in Long district, Luang Namtha province.

Source: Vientiane Times (Latest Update February 3, 2017)

Always a bit of a mystery why they built the bridge but the approach in either direction is a disgrace, mind you the constant flow of overloaded trucks full of melons and bananas doesn't help the situation.

Companies keen to develop Vientiane-Pakxe expressway project

Nineteen domestic and foreign companies have expressed their interest in developing the planned Vientiane-Pakxe expressway, a senior government official has said. The expressway will link the country's capital of Vientiane to Pakxe - capital of Champassak province over an estimated distance of 585 km, significantly shorter than the over 700 km trip between the two cities using the current Road 13 South.

The new transport route will be 23 metres wide overall comprising four lanes, each 3.5 metres wide, meet Asean expressway standard Class 1 and be able to accommodate loads of not less than 11 tonnes per axle. Estimated cost of the project has not been calculated as the survey and feasibility study have yet to be conducted. The expressway, which is set to include bridges and tunnels, will pass through a new corridor and avoid dense residential communities to minimise impacts.

Source: Vientiane Times (Latest Update March 02, 2017)

Nothing known yet - guess that it will have to wait till all the roads from the border crossing to Mueang Khop and Mueang Xienghone to Rd 2W are ready (scheduled for 2016). But, if the same will happen here as with the Phu Du to Paklay crossing, it may take quite some more time before the crossing will be open for foreigners

NewRoadstoPhayaofromBangkokPost.jpg

The project comprises five connected roads. First is the 63km-long road starting at Ban Huak of Phu Sang district in Phayao and crossing the border to Muang Khop and Muang Xiang Hone in Laos. The second is 25km-long from Muang Khop to Ban Kontun in Laos. The 13km third route is inside Muang Xiang Hone. An 8km-long road will be inside Muang Khop, and the last is a 2km route linking Ban Pakkhop with the Mekong River. The project is expected to be completed in 2016.

In addition, a new immigration facility will also be built in both countries. In Thailand, the immigration office will be located in Ban Huak. In Laos, it will be located at Ban Pak Mon of Muang Kop district in Xayaburi province.

Update

Was there a few weeks ago and Section A and Section B1 as well as the roads in Mueang Khop and Mueang Xienghone including a new paved road from Ban Kontum to Ban Pakkhop are now all paved - see the map below with blue line indicating the paved sections.

Ban Huak Border Crossing.jpg

DSCN0070.jpg
The road from Ban Kontum to Mueang Khop

DSCN0075.jpg
The junction in Mueang Kop - to the right goes to Mueang Xienghone

DSCN0074.jpg
A section of the road from Mueang Khop to the Ban Huak/Ban Pakkhop border crossing

We were prevented to have a look at the new border facilities on the Lao side but we were told that the new Immigration and Customs facilities west of Ban Pang Mon are more or less ready.

Brake 034 reported that new border crossing facilities at Ban Huak were ready as well (see http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...sing-at-Ban-Huak?p=62546&viewfull=1#post62546 reproduced here):
New Thai/ Laos border crossing at Ban Huak
Yesterday went to have a look, there is road construction ongoing in Muang Chum and because of heavy trucks the road is damaged after Phu Sang towards the border.
A new construction was built recently with a customs and an immigration office but all other signs in Thai only!

Had a word with the border guards, who were aware the possibility that it will become an international crossing but they had no clue when.....
For now it is still only possible for people from the Phayao province or from Laos to cross the border.

The new building, seen from the guards position
:
20170222_145456.jpg

It looks therefor that almost everything - roads, immigration/customs facilities, etc. - are ready. Therefor it is now up to Laos and Thailand to decide when the border crossing will be upgraded from a local crossing to an International Border Crossing point. However, considering the experience with the Phu Du to Paklay crossing which, after having been officially opened some 3 years ago, still is not fully functional as you still can not get a Visa-on-Arrival at the Lao side, I would not hold my breath for a full opening of the Ban Huak to Mueang Khop crossing ant time soon.

Re-posting the pictures of the bridge as the pictures went missing.

shot19Febalso.jpg

shot19feb.jpg

shot19febpanorama.jpg

and a picture of the bridge from BsaCBob from early this year

Sekong Bridge BK.jpg

Highway 3 - Houayxai to Luang Nam Tha

There are several places where, if you are on a bike, should be careful. Between kilometer markers 172 and 168 the road (about 40-50 km. from Houayxai) is badly rutted as you can see in these pictures:

20161122_080342.jpg

20161122_081002.jpg

An update on the road conditions of Rd 3 from Hoauyxai to Nateuy (the junction of Rd. 3 and Rd. 13 North)

Another quick trip with friends to Laos and we found ourselves on Rd 3. Most but not all of the potholes in the road near Houayxai have been repaired but quite a few new ones have appeared.

Nothing has been done on the ruts between kilometer markers 172 and 168 and they are still there and some have become worse so be very careful on a bike

Since November last year road improvement work started on many section in Rd. 3 but not much progress has been made. All the parts where the pavement was removed (shown in the picture below which was taken in January this year) have been filled in but no new pavement was added so now with the rains the situation is becoming bad again with lots of new potholes appearing.

IMG_1752.jpg

Between Luang Namtha and Nateuy they have started putting in new pavement but, with the frequent rains, the new pavement is starting to break up again

Road 3908 - Mueang Khoune to Mueang Moc (Morc, Moak, Mork)

Beautiful trip with the road going up to an elevation of almost 2200 meter. They are working on this road already for quite some time and progress is slow. As of May 2017, the first 66 km. from Mueang Khoune to the south-east is paved, the next 28 km. is still dirt while the last 6-7 km. to Mueang Moc is paved.

Capture.jpg

If you don't want go back the same road, you can also head south from Mueang Moc to Ban Kangviengnateu and Ban Namuang Mai on a dirt road. This track is being upgraded and will be paved soon and from here you can link with road 1D on a paved road all the way to Thasi.

Back
Top Bottom