Riding small, bringing up the 1,000km

BigAl

Following the trip to the top of Doi Inthanon I was keen to notch up the 1,00km and get the first service over. In my mind that then frees me to go further afield
The latest in the move to the PCX was a trip round the Samoeng loop which I did on the 20th of April. Now whilst I know there are billions and I mean billions of ride reports and photos of the Samoeng loop I thought there may be someone who is for the very first time planning a trip to ride around north Thailand so it has to be worth a post :) Well maybe not but here it is;
Ready to go;

DSC03635 by alantrinder, on Flickr
I set off in the morning and went anti clockwise around the loop. This has the advantage of being in the shade for quite a way of the route and that made for a very pleasant ride.

First stop X Centre breakfast, well first pleasure stop, actually I needed to stick some fuel in the PCX as well but I thought the video of that would be a little boring.

DSC03639 by alantrinder, on Flickr
Didn't rate it :)

DSC03640 by alantrinder, on Flickr
Lots of stuff to see on the way and the road is good. Once again I really enjoyed just how easy stop start photo rides have become riding a PCX.

DSC03645 by alantrinder, on Flickr

DSC03650 by alantrinder, on Flickr

DSC03656 by alantrinder, on Flickr
I guess this stop is mandatory...

DSC03659 by alantrinder, on Flickr

And down to the town.

DSC03665 by alantrinder, on Flickr

And a great place for a coffee in the closing stages, "The Doi"

DSC03669 by alantrinder, on Flickr

And soon I was home, in time for lunch. The Samoeng loop is just a great morning run out.

The PCX coped well lugging my considerable weight up and down the hills and around the hairpin bends. It is pretty obvious that it isn't going to accelerate out of trouble with me sat on it so you have to build that into your riding but, so far so good.

To round off the 1,000km mark I did another of my well travelled routes north on the 107 on the24th of April. Taking in breakfast at possibly my favourite breakfast ride stop, Chiang Dao Nest, continuing north on the 107 just a little until turning right onto the 1150 for the very enjoyable ride to Phrao for the final leg down another enjoyable road, the 1001.

Ready to go (again)

DSC03673 by alantrinder, on Flickr
The dog stayed home.
As I always try to do, I avoided the main bulk of Mae Rim town centre by taking the canal road and rejoining the 107 at the Samoeng junction.
I do like it around Chiang Dao

DSC03679c by alantrinder, on Flickr

DSC03683 by alantrinder, on Flickr

And as I have said before, I do like breakfast at Chiang Dao Nest

DSC03690 by alantrinder, on Flickr

Breakfast over, a short ride took me to the 1150.I like the 1150, I sort of regard it as a road of 2 halves with Phrao in the middle. The views are really nice BUT I didn't lie this mess I came across;

DSC03693 by alantrinder, on Flickr
Why oh why do people spoil such a wonderful environment? They should be ashamed.

Onwards I got the usual smile from check point guy.

The 1001 seemed to just pass, it is really such an easy road with flowing bends but beware. I saw the recovery of 3 vehicles that can only have been 2 minivan overtaking a lorry on a blind bend hitting a poor car minding his own business on his side of the road.
Just 1 more things, I really would have likes a coffee along the 1001 but I didn't see any. Please let me know if you have places you recommend.
That was it, 230km that ride and the PCX ready for its first service.

Al, thats a very good point about the 1001 lacking a coffee stop.

I will be riding that road again this week and will see if i can find something & will be sure to post about it. Currently i think it's going to be hard to find one except for both ends of the road :(

Ally

Thanks Ally and as for the coffee, yes I am thinking of a coffee stop in the middle not at both ends...

There's a lot to be said for small bike touring Al. You see more, smell more and it's cheap, thanks for the story.

Ta Phil
Will be interesting to see how the MHS loop goes and maybe a trip to Pattaya and or a tour around some of Issan.

Ta Phil
Will be interesting to see how the MHS loop goes and maybe a trip to Pattaya and or a tour around some of Issan.

Lan at C & P Service in Chaing Mai says he won't buy and rent belt driven scooters because the belt drive isn't up to the loads experienced during mountain riding, will be interesting to see your report of the trip and how the bike did.

Lan at C & P Service in Chaing Mai says he won't buy and rent belt driven scooters because the belt drive isn't up to the loads experienced during mountain riding, will be interesting to see your report of the trip and how the bike did.
Yes it will. I am no small bloke, the least I have weighed since living in Chiangmai is 105kg and I am usually around the 120kg mark. So far I have done Doi Inthanon and the Samoeng Loop. Both reasonably hilly and to be fair the bike did pretty well. I have always had the same feeling in the back of my mind but I am working on the Honda wouldn't want to lose their reputation for fantastic (indestructible) little bikes and put a sub standard bit of design into these little belt drive bikes. If the belt isn't up to it why use it? Time will tell I guess. I am hoping Honda has done its homework.

^ maybe just replace the belt more often/earlier than the stipulated service interval. I couldn`t imagine it breaking or letting you down that way.

I have been trying to find this place for the last couple of weeks, without success :(

A sign on the 1001 placed at intervals in the Phrao direction.

The phone numbers ring out & I am none the wiser from asking people along the road either.

DSC_1750.jpg

Ally

Back
Top Bottom