Post your Asian bridge & water crossing photo's here

Some absolutely great Asian bridge crossings. Midnite Mapper has got some minging pics of them at their best.

Glennoi that pic of them lobbing into the drink was hilarious!!! What was the outcome after the dunking??

Alex I have not been on that Wieng heng to Muang Khong track in over a year, did they look like they are in the process of another bridge over the second crossing? How about the third crossing (coming from the Muang Khong direction)?

Here's one in Laos going from Long to Vieng Phoukha(sp?)

249605748_EgrPM-M.jpg

Another in the Ob Long forest northwest of Chiang mai. Luke taking a different way round.

154739455_AepCR-M.jpg

Looks like a couple of narley crossings! thanks justin

We've got Don's Laos GPS maps now, so we're going to go poke around in Laos on some unknown tracks that arn't on any other map next week.

Don's going to give us some virgin route ideas - pretty exciting stuff (hopefully no winning photo's for this section)

A unique style of bridge not seen elswere in Laos, the bridge over the Nam Xam river. Unfortunatly for the photos it was dark when I crossed.nam-xam-bridge.jpg
Not sure what was on the other side? and lead by my metal halide lights, 25 kilometers later found me at 1200 meters elevation in a Vietnamese logging camp in Vietnam!, these guys were surprised to see me at 10 at night. I sure is a shame to do tracks like this at night, I missed many fantastic views! No photos and a hasty good by, return trip of 85 kilometers put me in Xam Tai before midnight, Midnitemapper.

Attachments

• nam-xam-night.jpg
    nam-xam-night.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,006
  • bridge-weight.jpg
    bridge-weight.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,030
MM- amazing the "baskets of weights" are enough to keep the bridge in place in rainy season, very unique bridge.

The unmade road between Luang Prabang and Phonsavan, Laos

This a a toll bridge for foot passengers and motorbikes (in rainy season). When we were there last week the river was passable, no need to use the bridge. Note the height of the bridge anticipating rainy season floods.

5714915166_bfe064c134_b.jpg

bigntall said:
Alex I have not been on that Wieng heng to Muang Khong track in over a year, did they look like they are in the process of another bridge over the second crossing? How about the third crossing (coming from the Muang Khong direction)?

Justin, a month ago they had finished a suspension bridge.the river had been crossable 10 weeks before but too deep in april.
heading south onto that woodland trail with all the stream crossings iirc.

Now 14 weeks ago we had to wade thru the river hip deep with the bikes,though there was a little track on the left bank which went up the mountainside steeply,had a concrete strip to help the bikes get up.Our party wanted to cross the river, only to find the path on the otherside washed away so had to cross back.
Well now there is a big project there,the river looks diverted, big earth banks, and they are building a bridge, But a month ago there where 2 small walls of rocks in a catchment area that you could;ve walked scooters on, or you could ride through the water. It was fairly deep, came over one guys saddle

finally got your bike into LAOS!!!

Nam Pah bamboo bridge...
Steve Baker, the most senior rider and veteran of Southeast Asia. We first met in Phnom Phen in 1999 during the Untac days. Steve has riden, and forgotten, more trails in southeast Asia, than the rest of our group combined. Great to ride with you again. Midnitemapper

Attachments

• nam-pah.jpg
    nam-pah.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 1,019
  • bridge236.jpg
    bridge236.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 759
Guess you could have seen the bridge as it is right smack at the place where the trail from Muang Moc joins road 1D at Thasi. We crossed the river in the truck last week and I took this picture from the north side of the river. The truck at the top right is turning into the direction of Muang Moc

GEDC0846 doc.jpg

Here's one of me crossing a bridge! in Cambodia somewhere. The prisoners had just finished off the last plank just as we arrived. Good timing.

web.jpg

johnny, I think that bridge is in the same place as I posted on the first page of this thread.
and heres a pic showing how to cross

5736860378_443a73bb8a_z.jpg

Interesting old bridge, 85 meters, accross the Nam Xam, makes a great lookout platform to see the narrow gorge in the river below. A great place to Chill for a moment, before negotiating those thousands of turns on the sealed road to and from, Xam Tai, (pronounced Sam Tur) by the locals.
What a great blaster ride, 67 kilometers, of twists turns over mountains valleys and along the very scenic river. Almost no traffic along this stretch so you have the whole road to yourself!

Midnitemapper
http://www.laosgpsmap.com

Attachments

• nam-xam-oldbridge.jpg
    nam-xam-oldbridge.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 671
  • namxamcanyon.jpg
    namxamcanyon.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 631
  • abandoned-bridge.jpg
    abandoned-bridge.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 644
These few shots are from this same area, along the Nam Xam

Attachments

• namxam-trees.jpg
    namxam-trees.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 638
  • landslide-area.jpg
    landslide-area.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 623
  • 3206.jpg
    3206.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 651
  • xamtai-river3.jpg
    xamtai-river3.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 650
Hi Johnny ,
That was in the Cardomoms, remember the Kamaz truck went through the river before us the water over its wheels. The one below is floating the XR650 over the same river in 2006.

The high bamboo bridge is also in the Cardomoms, that is Dr.Phil from Kampot crossing over.

The last one is to prove that the Khemers can build bridges to last thousands of years if they want. Funny that they never discovered how to build an arch , but still managed to build hundreds, if not thousands of impressive structures, sadly not many of their bridges survive due to warfare and vandalism for building materials. This one was used as part of the main highway until a few years ago, it is now bypassed and very few travellers stop to look for it between Siem Riep and Phnom Phen at Kampong Kdey.

Attachments

• Ankor era bridge,Kampong Kdey.jpg
    Ankor era bridge,Kampong Kdey.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 855
  • Dr.Phil over a bamboo bridge Cardomoms.jpg
    Dr.Phil over a bamboo bridge Cardomoms.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 707
  • Carmons 2006 before the bridge XR650.jpg
    Carmons 2006 before the bridge XR650.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 748
Yes, it was the trip Bart organised. Great fun in the end, not to mention any names.

Using the local help for rivercrossing, and of course contributing to the local economy

Attachments

• bamboorivercross.jpg
    bamboorivercross.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 702
Missjudging a rock the bike is "high centered" midstream.

Attachments

• bamboorivercross.jpg
    bamboorivercross.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 630
  • bike-stream.jpg
    bike-stream.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 652
KTMphil said:
Justin on his KTM 525 somewhere where he shouldn't be with super moto wheels

I think everyone must have a few photos of Justin where he doesn't belong.
Here are a few water and crossing photos from 2007. We stayed in Tbaeng Meanchey and made a day trip to Preah Vihear.

DSC00869Small.jpg

Justin showing proper form, elbows bent, on the pegs and weight forward.

DSC00870Small.jpg

About 3:00 in the afternoon and we're looking for the shortcut back to the hotel.

DSC00876Small.jpg

We gave up on the shortcut and headed back the way we came.

DSC00877Small.jpg

Justin paying the road tax for using the crossing.

bigntall said:
Another in the Ob Long forest northwest of Chiang mai. Luke taking a different way round.

154739455_AepCR-M.jpg

While not a true water crossing, the Belgian step deserves to be included.

DSC05786Small.jpg

I swallowed my pride and took the easy way around the Belgian step as Luke did above. .

DSC00671Small.jpg

Sergeant Spank giving directions on the best way to approach the step.

Justin made it up the step but didn't travel far after doing a header into the tree.

A couple photos from weekend ride in Laos.
Accompanied by Chris and Kenny Stokes with a couple of fresh bikes from Remote Asia.
Having seen pictures of suspension bridges on a friends computer?
The author of the photos being "decisively vague" on the location. Of course this raised curiosity level to state of "Heightened Alertness".
Knowing the general area the my friend was riding, it is only a matter of looking on the map for the large water crossings making a waypoint and hit the "Go To" button, to see what we find?
bridge.jpg
Chris Stokes attacking the bridge, local kids cheering him on.
suspendbridge.jpg
suspensionbridge.jpg
Yikes looks dangerous but plenty strong!
bamboo-bridge.jpg
Always plenty of action around the water in Laos...
kidbike.jpg
Local villagers at Ban Thahua catching fish
fishing.jpg
Nam Mong ferry, Oh happy to see this new ferry the local villagers and NamMong had constructed, as the river crossing was reported to be slippery large rocks,
Only 10,000 kip a ride!
nam-mung-river-cross.jpg
Chris and Kenny Stokes, Ominous skys aboard the Hmong skippered ferry, at Ban Nong,on the Nam Ngiap river.

Attachments

• namngiapferry.jpg
    namngiapferry.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 957
Not exactly a river crossing? Chris riding what looks like a golf course, along the shores of the Nam Ngum (1) reservoir

golf-course.jpg

Scupture on the Nam Ngum reservoir!
wheels.jpg

Onwards to Paksan 17 kilometers to go and this narrow but deep crossing on the Nam Thoey river, required some ingenuity, as the local canoe ferry operator had gone home and padlocked the boat!
These great locals to the rescue!
carryriver.jpg
Halfway accross the deep part
rivercrossnight2.jpg
Victory!
carrybike.jpg
3 bikes accross the river, all are happy, we compensate our rescuers, now they are really smiling!

happy-campers.jpg
10 kilometers to the main road,our smiles diminish as the rice paddy's are flooded and its axle deep, pitch darkness and mud all the way to highway 13!
ricemud.jpg
Arriving Paksan, the local restaurant humors us for a few minutes until they see Kennys mud laden shirt!

mudback.jpg
The restaurant would only serve us a beer and told us they have to close at 9:00 "Police Orders"!
Kenny tries to wash off some mud with beer Lao.
mudbeer.jpg

Amazing pictures Don !

I can't believe Chris & Kenny wouldn't have not enjoyed this trip. Did you really go across this?

file.php

lenticular cloud,
Phou Lavek in the background.
Think its gonna rain?

lenticularcloud.jpg
Those thunderstorms can cause the current and river levels to rise very quickly.
Nam Xao river crossing, Chris doing it the correct way.
Our XR400 pilot got washed downstream with panyers and all drowning the bike:(
Break out the tools de-water the bike, took about an hour and 1 liter of sweat!
Next tim I will take all my gear off the bike and walk it first!

rivercross.jpg

Attachments

• buffalowcross.jpg
    buffalowcross.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 893
Midnitemapper said:
Next tim I will take all my gear off the bike and walk it first!

Walk it first is always a good idea unless you have crossed before at the same place and know where the deep bits and where the rocks and muddy bits are. Must admit that I don't do it myself always. Crossed the Nam Xan in Late March and three guys, who were playing cards, made a lot of noise when I attempted to cross. I asked them then where/how I should cross but the card game was more important. So I plunged in and the water came up to the bonnet of my Toyota 4WD. Luckily it was a short crossing so got out without problems but I should have walked it first and not relying upon my luck with river crossings (sorry, no pictures as I needed all my concentration to cross it without being washed away as the river was flowing fast).

By the way, this crossing is now closed as the contractor for the bridge (should be ready next year) has now removed the access road so you can't get down to the river anymore from the north.

That is a lens shaped, Lenticular cloud, Behind a bad ass thunderstorm designed to get us wet and drown our bikes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenticular_cloud
A quick peek at the GPS says 5 ks ahead is a village, GO...

hmongvill.jpg
Our friendly hosts fed us, provided warmth and shelter
manhmong.jpg

village.jpg
A great breakfast was provided,we would need the energy to battle the mud, hills ,rivers ahead
breakfast.jpg
Vietnamese seller arrives in the morning
vietseller.jpg

Back
Top Bottom